Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP 85MAF VS Stock MAF w/ported ends

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow SLP 85MAF VS Stock MAF w/ported ends

My car is mostly a drag car. Stock LS1 with all the bolt ons. Vic JR intake(nitous bars plumbed in) 92or 95mm TB, and a stand alone 2 stage wet system.

Question is: right now i am using a stock MAF (no ported ends).
I have an 85mm SLP with no screen (never used). Should i use it or simply get the ported end for my factory one.

Please give my your best personal experience.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the SLP. Ported stockers are garbage.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a Z06 MAF instead. Its 85mm and GM. Less issues, they are like $85
Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

85 mm or Speed Density. Another choice a 100mm MAF.

FYI, the 85mm MAF is gonna run out of frequency before your engine runs out of airflow.
Although, @ WOT the engine runs off of the PE table, my PCM must also be at least referencing the MAF table because of leaner fueling that occurs, even after the PE table has been adjusted. Perhaps this happens only within my 98 PCM, (worst PCM for tuning, back-up VE table is limited), but, wanted to meantion the fact that both tables needed adjustment. Anyway, at 5200 RPM, my 85mm MAF reaches 11250 HZ (it's limit). So, from then on, it's all trial & error to dial her in.

The limts of the 85mm MAF frequency table are what led me to suggest the 100mm MAF.
Just make sure that you ask the 100mm MAF seller to confirm that it has the frequency scaling to measure airflow all the way up to 512 g/s.

Again, there's also the MAFless speed density tune. If you race in similar temp/weather conditions, this may be an option for you. Just make sure that the person you find to tune speed density has proven his method with customer confirmation.

Good-luck
Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
Do the SLP. Ported stockers are garbage.
what would lead you to say that stock ported ends are trash? Elaborate

im also tossed up in between this, iv got an 85mm slp maf an im currently running a stock one with ported ends. cant decide if i should stay with the stock one w/ported ends or if there is hp gains to be made with the slp maf.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some research and you'll find plenty of people introduce problems by going with an aftermarket 85mm MAF. Try it out. If you have issues you can always remove it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

What are the part #'s for the GM 85 MAF
also do i need a special harness to make it work???

On another note, how is the Texas Speed 100mm Maf???

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

I think its silly or just plain rediculous that guys are suddenly switching to
SD tunes on n/a setups. For every one that works out fine there's tone that have idle issues, idling problems when the seasons change. SO why do it. The choice of an 85mm
MAF is best but only if your motor needs that much airflow. In FI setup stock MAFs will
still work on 600rwhp setups. So why would anyone need a SD tune or 85mm unless
the engine has large cam and heads. Or bigger cubes. But less than $100 for and LS6 MAF than thats a win win.
Wanted to add, there are plastic MAF end that doesn't have that divider in the middle. I've used them you can tune to get them to work just fine. Good luck.
BTW if you go 85mm MAF make sure you get the on that's setup for the f-body. They add a little resistor in the f-body version so it plays nice with the MAF table.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-27-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

A shop called PACE used to make a good one that came with the adapter cable.
I think SLP still sells them, but do a search cause SLP charges a mint for their stuff..lol.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I think its silly or just plain rediculous that guys are suddenly switching to SD tunes on n/a setups. For every one that works out fine there's tone that have idle issues, idling problems when the seasons change. SO why do it.

So, I take it that he shouldn't come to you for an SD tune.

What's it to you how people chose to tune their vehicles? It's mostly a drag car. SD may be suitable option for him. The information is here for him to research & then make the choice that suits him best.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a 85mm truck maf on ebay for like 35 and then the 5-3 pin connector for another 20 works great just make sure u get a tune...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Start of all i dont tune other peoples cars, secondly i have only giving him some food
for thought and obviously since he's only looking for a little better flow and by the mods
in his sig, its apparent he doesn't have a a full out drag car. He's looking for info. so gave him some by telling him a street car going SD isn't worth the time to tune and could have isses with driveability.. so what do you care if i gave him some info about the 85mm MAF
or what he can expect if someone like you talks about SD like its the second coming.
With his mods he's better staying with the MAF its not a POS like any idiot with tuning software will try to tell you it is.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Start of all i dont tune other peoples cars,

Yah, knew that when I posted it. Way to take it literally.

[/QUOTE=BlackNiteWS6]]what he can expect if someone like you talks about SD like its the second coming. With his mods he's better staying with the MAF its not a POS like any idiot with tuning software will try to tell you it is.[/QUOTE]

You're a freakin' Stay away from commenting about things you don't understand.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I don't know alot about the stock maf, but I do have an slp 85mm maf and it took my car a few days but it has taken a liking to it now. I haven't had any problems yet, but I hear the stock one is good up to like 500hp so that would be on you.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Well thats a bunch of info to digest....SD tune is out for me because of the weather here in Canada....right now it is 32F later today 78F. I need the MAF or it would be a tuning nightmare. It seems to be a toss up between the 85 and Stock w/ported ends.
Since my motor internals is stock, I guess I should keep the stock MAF for now and leave the SLP in the tool box...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Start of all i dont tune other peoples cars, secondly i have only giving him some food
for thought and obviously since he's only looking for a little better flow and by the mods
in his sig, its apparent he doesn't have a a full out drag car. He's looking for info. so gave him some by telling him a street car going SD isn't worth the time to tune and could have isses with driveability.. so what do you care if i gave him some info about the 85mm MAF
or what he can expect if someone like you talks about SD like its the second coming.
With his mods he's better staying with the MAF its not a POS like any idiot with tuning software will try to tell you it is.

you only have issues, if you go to someone that dosnt know how to tune
Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6 Canada
Well thats a bunch of info to digest....SD tune is out for me because of the weather here in Canada....right now it is 32F later today 78F. I need the MAF or it would be a tuning nightmare. It seems to be a toss up between the 85 and Stock w/ported ends.
Since my motor internals is stock, I guess I should keep the stock MAF for now and leave the SLP in the tool box...
get a better intake like a fast 90 or 92, then get an 85mm maf
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Go with a Z06 MAF instead. Its 85mm and GM. Less issues, they are like $85
Please show me where they are $85 ! id buy 2 haha
Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 Canada

You should be ok with a 85mm MAF. SD should be used if your MAF is a big
restriction or if you have a big FI setup where the MAF frequency would be maxxed. For a heads/cam setup stay with MAF and just get a good tune if you
change cams/heads and so on. And in your climate you're good staying with MAF. Good luck with your setup. Ooops i missed where u said that you're keeping the stock MAF...thats cool to i've hit 11.7's a few times with a small head/cam setup and still used my stock MAF i only descreened it. Never came close to maxing it out.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-28-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by themack56
you only have issues, if you go to someone that dosnt know how to tune

Thats what i was telling the OP...SD can cause you to hate your car if it
isn't tuned right...if hes was running an all out turbo/blower then i would
definately look at SD, but for a street/strip car he's doing just fine. But like
you said an intake wth MAF would help.