Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installation help needed - Cam too far back in block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Cam installation help needed - Cam too far back in block?

Issue: Lifters are riding on the front edge of the cam lobes (see pictures). This leads me to believe the cam is too far back in the block.

When the car was running I was getting P0343 - cam position sensor high voltage. I replaced the sensor just to have the same issue. RPMs are not seen on the factory tach.

I opened the lifter valley up to find the lifters riding on the front edge of the cam lobes. I then drained all the fluids, pulled the water pump, crank pulley and timing cover to investigate. Cam bolts were tight and remained torqued like the day I installed them (car has max, 1 hr total running time since heads/cam install).

Timing chain is SLP double roller, SLP LS6 ported oil pump.

What keeps the cam from going to far back in the block? Where did I go wrong? Help please!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam will have some back and forth play. How much play is there?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
The cam will have some back and forth play. How much play is there?
Well none at the moment. I haven't removed the valve covers and rockers, and I am hoping to avoid that right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like said above the cam will move back and forth a bit. Lifter should be riding more roars the center of the lobe tho.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks fine to me i have never seen a set of lifters ride the center of the lobe
Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have any photos of the cam prior to installation where the front undercut and other machining can be examined? Can you use a mirror or light to see if the cam journals are properly aligned with the bearings? Also, in the photo it appears the cam is back from the cam plate a bit make sure to pull if forward when checking the journals.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dodson55
it looks fine to me i have never seen a set of lifters ride the center of the lobe
Interesting, I guess I assumed this was the problem since a new cam position sensor wasn't working either.

Have you seen the lifters ride this far off-center before?

Thanks for all the help. Forgot to mention, I bought the cam straight from Lunati and assumed it was machined correctly from them.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump! Still need some more help/advice
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Tighten the cam gear and check again to see if it looks better.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

The cam retainer plate keeps the cam from coming forward; the sprocket is what keeps the cam from moving backward. The retainer is sandwiched between the cam and sprocket which are held together by one or three bolts depending on the cam design (you have a 3 bolt design).

Something is preventing the cam from moving forward, are the camshaft threads clean? Is the retainer plate damaged?

With the retainer plate in place, install a sprocket bolt in the cam (don't install the sprocket). Try pulling the camshaft forward using the bolt, does the cam line up with lifters? If the cam does not move forward I would remove the cam and compare (measure) the cam snout against the stock cam.

You can install the sprocket on the stock cam and look for any difference in fitment between the two cams.

Lunati had an issue with incorrectly machined camshaft snouts and maybe you have one.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=sprocket+gear

Also the torque spec's are 18ft lb not 26 like stated in the thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by RQSGTO; 06-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember exactly how it goes together, could you be missing the thrust plate/torrington? I just looked and my rollers are dead nuts down the center of the cam lobe.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RQSGTO
The cam retainer plate keeps the cam from coming forward; the sprocket is what keeps the cam from moving backward. The retainer is sandwiched between the cam and sprocket which are held together by one or three bolts depending on the cam design (you have a 3 bolt design).

Something is preventing the cam from moving forward, are the camshaft threads clean? Is the retainer plate damaged?

With the retainer plate in place, install a sprocket bolt in the cam (don't install the sprocket). Try pulling the camshaft forward using the bolt, does the cam line up with lifters? If the cam does not move forward I would remove the cam and compare (measure) the cam snout against the stock cam.

You can install the sprocket on the stock cam and look for any difference in fitment between the two cams.

Lunati had an issue with incorrectly machined camshaft snouts and maybe you have one.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=sprocket+gear

Also the torque spec's are 18ft lb not 26 like stated in the thread.

Good luck!
This is/was my fear all along. I didn't know about Lunati's issues either

Guess I am removing my fans and radiator again

Thanks for the replies. The cam bolts looked fine, but if I am pulling the cam then I am ordering new ARP bolts for it. This is very frustrating for me, I haven't had the car on the road in 6 years and I really thought it was ready to go.

I hope I can find the time to get it running properly before summer.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Before you wig out, and tear it down, call Lunati and ask if there's a way to tell if you got 1 of the questionable cams.
Also, try the checks already mentioned.
What does the back side of the gear look like? Look like it's been pulled tite to the cam?
Put a thin film of grease on the end of the cam, and around the retainer plate, re-install the gear, and see what the pattern looks like. This will confirm/deny you have one of the over sized cams.......
You don't have to strip the top side down, just back off the rockers, in order to pull the cam forward.
As mentioned, it looks to me as tho the cam is not out where it should be...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Before you wig out, and tear it down, call Lunati and ask if there's a way to tell if you got 1 of the questionable cams.
Also, try the checks already mentioned.
What does the back side of the gear look like? Look like it's been pulled tite to the cam?
Put a thin film of grease on the end of the cam, and around the retainer plate, re-install the gear, and see what the pattern looks like. This will confirm/deny you have one of the over sized cams.......
You don't have to strip the top side down, just back off the rockers, in order to pull the cam forward.
As mentioned, it looks to me as tho the cam is not out where it should be...
Excellent advice, I will start with removing the coils and valve covers, backing off my Jesel shaft mounted rockers and see if I can move the cam forward and check to make sure my SLP timing gear is fully seating on the cam snout before I pull everything apart.

Quick Reply: Cam installation help needed - Cam too far back in block?