Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fast intake vs ls6 $$?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast intake vs ls6 $$?

its prob a beaten horse but is the price dif really worth the horsepower? esp if stock port and polished ls1 heads with a cam? is it that much better than an ls6... is it because it allows a larger throttle body?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Default Quote from Tony Mamo

FAST Intake threads are the most beat to death topic on this website....there must literally be hundreds of them in the archives.

While there have been very few (and I mean very few) people that have posted lackluster results with the 102 swap due IMO, to one issue or another, there have been very many that have posted just the opposite.

I sense the largest issue with this mod is price and people just don't want to spend the coin so they try to convince themselves (and others) its not worth the money blah blah blah. Worth the money of course is always subjective, but if your looking to make big power the FAST just needs to be part of the recipe.

Think about this....just about EVERY combination that you read about approaching 475 RWHP is running the FAST. Think about it how powerful a testimonial that is, not to mention a good deal of them having spent more money for the porting work to increase the airflow and gains from the swap even more.

If you have decent heads, a cam, a good exhaust and a CAI a move from an LS1 to a 102 FAST you should see around a 15-20 HP gain to the tire....a little more than a 90/92 would show on the same engine. Subtract about 3-5 if your already running an LS6 intake which makes a few more ponies than the weaker LS1 baseline so your net gains would be less. Porting usually adds about 10 or so to that figure btw.....more on optimized builds with high flow heads.

Your not going to see 25 or more with an out of the box intake....if you do I assure you some of those gains were from the tune, but you will see in the vicinity of 17 HP (give or take a few) comparing a tuned baseline to tuned (out of the box) FAST manifold install.

There has been countless real world independent results to back my claims....not to mention my own "real world" results from dyno tests I have personally been involved in.

And guys....if I read one more time a 102 is "too big" for a stock engine I think I'm going to vomit....seriously. That's just a bunch of crap.....the size of the entrance to the plenum has nothing to do with how effective the manifold is, although as a rule of thumb, EFI engines do seem to like overkill on TB sizing because all we are accomplishing is making it easier for the engine to experience almost no vacuum restriction at WOT (appoaching 100 KPA).

We don't need velocity at the TB to meter and atomize fuel (likely the source of the "102 is too big" wives tale stemming from over carbed applications that couldn't properly meter or atomize fuel effectively). The fuel injectors cover all our fueling/atomizing needs for us with more precision and accuracy and ease of adjustability. A throttle body is simply an air blade.....nothing more....a device to restrict the amount of air entering the engine giving the driver control of various load situations. Back to the FAST argument once again, its the runners that are most important and the shape and length of the 102 runners are more ideal (IMO) than the older design 90/92 mm units, not to mention the overall design and construction of the new 102 being far superior with individual runners that are sealed with an O-ring at their base etc. Its a much more rugged design that also allows me more freedom when I port those intakes as well....another perk and win for the 102 style unit (I would port a hole in the older units grinding in areas I would like to but can't).

What else....OP....if your serious about getting all you can from this build buy either FAST but my money is on you seeing a little more from the 102 even out of the box. Want more, have me port one for you and really optimize the swap.....now you have an intake that wont hold you back even at the 700+ HP level (my personal 454 made over 700 HP with a ported FAST 102 and carried till 7K in spite of that manifold having runners clearly too long for the power level and displacement of my combination).

Take the plunge.....it's still the best game in town in aftermarket intakes. When its not you can bet your azzz you will see something else bolted between my cylinder heads.

Regarding price if you cant quite afford it just save longer if you value knowing you didn't take any shortcuts. While its not the best bang for the buck mod out there it's far from the worst, especially if you've already taken the plunge on heads, cam, headers, etc. Truthfully at that point it's the next logical move and its doubtful you will find anything else once you've hit the other mods mentioned that would offer you as big a bang for your buck once your in that deep but I will say it is a more effective swap (and will net you larger gains) when you already have a good set of heads and all the supporting mods.

-Tony__________________
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-25-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ditto, 102 all the way.. It replaced the 92 for a reason
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Teching In

thank u, i have come over here from camaroz28.com because of the advice on the gen 3. port polish heads, more than mild but not wild cam. ss longtubes no cats. was worried the fast would be too much for a stock cu in. but now im sold.... and have a reason fora bigger throttle body : )
Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Teching In

who has the best deal? lol
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Look to the ----------->>> for all the sponsors on here. My favorites are
-WS6store
-speedinc
-tickperformance
-coloradospeed
Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

WS6Store will take care of you for sure.

You can buy the FAST ported already from vendors like Peak and Vengeance.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Teching In

lot of busn with speed inc , very happy. going with the 102.. what do i need besides the throttle body? cable bracket? fuel rails? thinking of using prof products ls2 tb
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of adding a ported 92 to my car.
It will prob only gain 15 hp but I already have heads/cam so I'm running out of ways to free up power. I like the ported 102s but I'm not sure if it would be over kill or not with the 228R and ported 5.3s.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Teching In

with my 224/226 .595 .570 114lsa and bumped compression i was just wondering the same. but if i jump to better heads later its a good trade off i think
Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ablkbrd
with my 224/226 .595 .570 114lsa and bumped compression i was just wondering the same. but if i jump to better heads later its a good trade off i think
I'm leaning towards the 92. Less extra parts are required for the install.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can get a fast intake there is no reason not to.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its already been stated but the cars that routinely hit 470+ rwhp are generally all running a Fast. With the exception of the LS3 style, its hard to beat.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say unless you have some boss heads and a whopper cam, the ls6 intake is plenty...the fast 90 or 92 is a happy medium, ported it would prob be worth the cash bc those fast intakes/tb are almost the cost of good heads which will do more than any intake..
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
I would say unless you have some boss heads and a whopper cam, the ls6 intake is plenty...
What makes you say that? Like previously mentioned, every thread showing 475+, a FAST is used. And I'd think Mamo knows his stuff. Other than financial reasons, there's no reason not to get one.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
What makes you say that? Like previously mentioned, every thread showing 475+, a FAST is used. And I'd think Mamo knows his stuff. Other than financial reasons, there's no reason not to get one.
I am still doing my research on trying to decide which to go with the 92 or the 102. I have talked to a few who have done the ported 92 and stated that they didnt feel a difference over the ls6 intake. Which is kind of discouraging when you think about what these things go for. Hopefully I get my own results soon.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I noticed a huge difference with a ported 92 over the LS6. Don't be scared just do it.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone hit me up with a link to this thread.

ChevyChase.....good post....LOL

Guys, if your truly serious about getting the most from your FAST go to the source and that would be me. I pioneered the process (literally) porting the first one for my heads/cam 346 in 2004 when I also launched the design of my AFR 205 head....I wanted to showcase the head as best I could (with a small cam however), and porting the FAST at the time was worth some power (doubled the gains from the swap).

So many people poo poo'ed me doing at the time (even other shops)...it was kind of comical. I heard things like Im sure FAST optimized it....it doesn't need it....Wilson was involved with the design (of the original), etc. etc. Having a flow bench to document my gains assured me the work I did was going to be valuable to my bottom line (power and torque #'s) and ultimately the dyno backed that up as well.

Ive ported more FAST intakes than anyone on the planet....that I'm convinced of and have spent a ton of real world R&D time on both the dyno and the flowbench optimizing them.

If you value all of that R&D as well as an extremely neat execution of the porting (looks like it was almost done by a machine), I'm your man.

I might not be the fastest.....and I'm probably the most expensive, but you get what you pay for. Never had a customer complain....and Ive ported hundreds of intakes in the last (almost) decade.

If you have the time to search for threads related to that (some of this stuff requires you have a clue and a little common sense and the ability to read between the Internet "political lines"), you can find plenty of independent feedback that backs what I'm telling you....no need to take my word for it.

All that said....if your still unsure about whether you need an optimized FAST intake, re-read post #2.....that guy sounded like he had a handle on it!

Cheers,
Tony

PS....Seriously though, PM me if you have any questions or your thinking about ordering one. I'm pretty covered up right now though....probably about a month's lead time barring special situations.

Some R&D being conducted on the new 102 design....

A typical pile of chips after a single intake is ported....this doesn't include the ones all over me and on the floor. Doing a single intake leaves a huge mess

Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice post tony, weren't you also saying if you can fit it to run the truck version lsx fast 102 vs the regular 102?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Nice post tony, weren't you also saying if you can fit it to run the truck version lsx fast 102 vs the regular 102?
Without a doubt.....its a poor mans plastic tunnel ram!

Its a bad azz piece....it would be under the hood of my Vette if I didn't need a Pro-Stock style scoop to fit it!

It will make more power and torque than any of the other FAST intakes

Here's what it looks like after taking it apart.....a straight(ish) shot to the cylinder head with a sweet trumpet entrance

A pic of one ported (half ported actually....I didn't do the runner exits yet)

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 06-28-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: fast intake vs ls6 $$?