Sponsored by:

1st time camshaft install: parts suggestions and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time camshaft install: parts suggestions and advice please

Good morning everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have been on the boards, so hello again. I'm very happy to say that this year and month is ten years that I have owned my T/A and it is also my birthday month as well, so I figured after years of research I treat myself and my T/A to a cam finally! I am looking for some help in terms of being prepared for my first cam install, I am extremely excited!!!

Basically, I would like any hints or tips from the veteran cam installers on the installation and also had a question about oil: I was told NOT to use Mobil 1 synthetic with the new cam. I was informed conventional oil or synthetic blend with a high zinc content and up the weight to 10W30. Suggestions were Kendall and Valvoline VR1 with Wix oil filter. Any other recommendations?

I also wanted to make sure I have bought all the proper parts and if there are any I should still get. What I have bought so far:

Comp Cams XER Custom Grind 228/230 588/592 112+2
Comp Cams 918 Valve Springs
Comp Cams Magnum Push Rods
Comp Cams Trunion Kit
Comp Cams retainers and locks
GM Timing Chain Gasket
GM Water Pump Gaskets
GM Crank Bolt
IWIS C5R Timing Chain

I was thinking of getting a new GM oil pump o-ring and GM crank seal to be safe as well. The engine I have I bought brand new from GM a few years ago: 2004 LS6 with now 50k miles. I was told that my lifters should still be ok and not to worry about them. I know I still need to get the lifter tool to prevent the lifters from dropping into the combustion chambers. Should I also get new Comp Cams valve seals too?

Lastly, I was wondering from the 2002-2004 C5 Z06 owners, do our engines have a timing chain dampener? I really would like to know because I do not want to start taking it apart without having one already. I know LS1's do not have the timing chain dampener, let alone holes to accept the bolts for one, they must be drilled.

This is so exciting and I cannot wait to get it all installed and tuned. I made 400hp and 385 tq to the wheels with the stock LS6 with supporting mods on a very cold dyno day, so I am very excited to see what she does with the new cam. From what I have been told by other owners and from Bryan at Comp Cams who suggested this for me, it makes a very nice wide low torque curve.

Thank you so much everyone for any help, recommendations and suggestions. Hope you all have a great day and take care.

Last edited by navybluephoenix; 04-27-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just did a cam swap about two weeks ago outside my apartment complex, believe it or not the hardest part was the oil pump change, highly recommended but that stupid bolt holding it in sucked. Check the ls1 how to site and you should be good to go.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You didn't mention it, so I'll ask about the tools you have/don't have:

- valve spring micrometer? Installing springs without one is risky. And they're cheap.

- dial indicator? Again, not very expensive, and good insurance to make sure lifter pre-load is correct.

- Cam degree wheel? Again, not expensive for a simple wheel from Summit Racing. I only use Comp Cams components. And I always check every cam I install. It's a tedious and somewhat time consuming process, and they're never off by more than 1*. But I do it anyway, every time. The only advantage to doing it , I suppose, is to help me sleep at night.

I also use a valve spring tester to check every spring before I install them. I don't want to waste time and money installing a bad spring. Again, they're never off by much, but it helps me sleep at night.

I like Comp Cam parts. I've been using them in my race car for years without a failure.

I recently purchased and installed a trunion kit from BT. It's slightly cheaper than the CC kit, and uses the same components. The kit also includes new rocker bolts, which the CC kit does not.

Also, I don't see a cam retainer plate on your parts list. I have been told that you need to replace the plate every time. Not because the plate wears out, but because the gasket is part of the plate. " Rock Auto has them, VICTOR REINZ Part # B31822. " See post #10. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-adapter.html

Last edited by .boB; 04-23-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Even though they are sort of reusable I would change the intake gaskets to avoid a chance of vacuum leak I loosened my oil pan to get the oil pump out so i could avoid the chance of losing the pick up tube bolt down in the pan.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by .boB
You didn't mention it, so I'll ask about the tools you have/don't have:

- valve spring micrometer? Installing springs without one is risky. And they're cheap.

- dial indicator? Again, not very expensive, and good insurance to make sure lifter pre-load is correct.

- Cam degree wheel? Again, not expensive for a simple wheel from Summit Racing. I only use Comp Cams components. And I always check every cam I install. It's a tedious and somewhat time consuming process, and they're never off by more than 1*. But I do it anyway, every time. The only advantage to doing it , I suppose, is to help me sleep at night.

I also use a valve spring tester to check every spring before I install them. I don't want to waste time and money installing a bad spring. Again, they're never off by much, but it helps me sleep at night.

I like Comp Cam parts. I've been using them in my race car for years without a failure.

I recently purchased and installed a trunion kit from BT. It's slightly cheaper than the CC kit, and uses the same components. The kit also includes new rocker bolts, which the CC kit does not.

Also, I don't see a cam retainer plate on your parts list. I have been told that you need to replace the plate every time. Not because the plate wears out, but because the gasket is part of the plate. " Rock Auto has them, VICTOR REINZ Part # B31822. " See post #10. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-adapter.html
Yes, my friend who is a Mercedes Benz Elite Tech has all those tools and will be helping me with the install. Thank you for being so detailed with the tool list, greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by gto65lvr
Even though they are sort of reusable I would change the intake gaskets to avoid a chance of vacuum leak I loosened my oil pan to get the oil pump out so i could avoid the chance of losing the pick up tube bolt down in the pan.
Thank you for the tip.

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
Just did a cam swap about two weeks ago outside my apartment complex, believe it or not the hardest part was the oil pump change, highly recommended but that stupid bolt holding it in sucked. Check the ls1 how to site and you should be good to go.
Yes that is a good site, thank you.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure that cam spins freely on the bearings..it would be ideal to check clearance but you could just mic the old one and compare. As long as it doesn't bind up you should be ok
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd run PAC 1519 springs with XE-R lobes if you want a Beehive. I don't feel the 918 is enough spring to properly control those lobes, unless you shim to within .050" of coilbind.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna try do my head/cam install...i just dont wanna mess anything up...lol.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Thank you all for the help and tips. I am awaiting for the 918 springs and Trunion kit, they are both on back order unfortunatly. I went and picked up a Melling M295 pump from Advance Auto today for only $82 with tax with a Promo code. I know my LS6 oil pump is good, but I figured it would be good insurance while I have it apart. I might as well for that price. Hope to have it installed soon. I will update the thread when I am done.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I wanna try do my head/cam install...i just dont wanna mess anything up...lol.
Go for it. An old man once told me its nothing but nuts and bolts haha if you like wrenching on things its an absolute blast to work on these motors and a great feeling when you hear it run after all the work
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Any updates?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Go for it. An old man once told me its nothing but nuts and bolts haha if you like wrenching on things its an absolute blast to work on these motors and a great feeling when you hear it run after all the work
Agreed!!!

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Any updates?
Valve Springs and Trunion kit are on back order from Comp, so I have to wait for a bit.

Quick Reply: 1st time camshaft install: parts suggestions and advice please