Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS9 valve covers

Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no argument from me on that one Wes.

Im planning on running these on an ls3 topend (stock externally), so Ill also try to post up my findings.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irish350
Im planning on running these on an ls3 topend (stock externally), so Ill also try to post up my findings.
Im doing the same. Let us know.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not a racket when the parts are all custom made (read as billet). The stock to cut it from, as well as the machine to make it, the time to design it, the list goes on and on. For valve covers, most aftermarket ones are fabricated and you are paying for someones time and due diligence to make them.

Its not a racket....its business.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was Abear was still around. i want those really bad. lol
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
It is not a racket when the parts are all custom made (read as billet). The stock to cut it from, as well as the machine to make it, the time to design it, the list goes on and on. For valve covers, most aftermarket ones are fabricated and you are paying for someones time and due diligence to make them.

Its not a racket....its business.
I understand that... but how come you come across valve covers on ebay and such that look great and only run about $150 give or take?

Now... granted I haven't located a set on ebay that fits correctly for the LSx, but that just seems like some minor adjustments need to be made to the original design.

I'm also willing to bet that those companies on ebay (which apparently have fitting issues for our cars) do in fact have valve covers that fit just fine on other vehicles. Meaning I highly doubt EVERY valve cover they make has fitment issues... So why can't someone in the LS market do the same thing, just double check the fitment? I know that can't cost that much more... I mean come on...

Also I'm sure these $400+ valve covers aren't selling very well. Especially in this economy. Even before the economy took a dump I'm willing to bet those didn't sell like hotcakes. My point is, even on LS1Tech, it's not often I see many of these cars with some nice valve covers because nobody wants to spend that much on two "metal covers". It's like paying $50 for a plastic fork.

I'm betting if someone came out with a decent valve cover, at a decent price, they'd probably make a lot more money, because they'd probably have more sales... just a guess...
Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i was Abear was still around. i want those really bad. lol
The Abear's were very nice... again, just too expensive for what people are willing to pay for these things. Weren't they like around the $600 range?!

I myself am a fan of the Katech covers... however, again they are still too proud of that product for me to be willing to pull out the old credit card.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
The Abear's were very nice... again, just too expensive for what people are willing to pay for these things. Weren't they like around the $600 range?!

I myself am a fan of the Katech covers... however, again they are still too proud of that product for me to be willing to pull out the old credit card.
well i would spend the 600 for a set of abear. hell lets call it a grand. i know it is alot for just vavle covers. but they looked ****.

i just wish i could find someone that would make me a one off set. lol.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ebay is an extremely poor example of shopping for something for your car. Just like Ebay headers. Yes, they are cheaper. Yes they are made of the same style of material. There is a huge difference in mass producing something just to turn a dollar and hand crafting something because you have pride in your work and in the industry.

With Ebay, most of the items are not produced here and are also produced in mass quantity, leaving them room to mark up their goods as well but staying very cheap with the price. They are normally made of an inferior design and/or inferior materials. I say cheap because that is what they are. If they were priced well for the quality, I would say inexpensive. They are cheap and you get what you pay for.

The same could be asked of you. Why did you choose to buy AFR heads? Why not just use a set of cheap hand/home ported 5.3s that you find also on ebay all the time for cheap?

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I understand that... but how come you come across valve covers on ebay and such that look great and only run about $150 give or take?

Now... granted I haven't located a set on ebay that fits correctly for the LSx, but that just seems like some minor adjustments need to be made to the original design.

I'm also willing to bet that those companies on ebay (which apparently have fitting issues for our cars) do in fact have valve covers that fit just fine on other vehicles. Meaning I highly doubt EVERY valve cover they make has fitment issues... So why can't someone in the LS market do the same thing, just double check the fitment? I know that can't cost that much more... I mean come on...

Also I'm sure these $400+ valve covers aren't selling very well. Especially in this economy. Even before the economy took a dump I'm willing to bet those didn't sell like hotcakes. My point is, even on LS1Tech, it's not often I see many of these cars with some nice valve covers because nobody wants to spend that much on two "metal covers". It's like paying $50 for a plastic fork.

I'm betting if someone came out with a decent valve cover, at a decent price, they'd probably make a lot more money, because they'd probably have more sales... just a guess...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think you could ever really value the argument that ebay<stock<billet. It just comes down to how much you wanna spend to get the desired look. I wound up spending more than i planned in basically every aspect of my build, but this was one of the places where it was still a good $ to (: ratio
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The Katech ones are cast as well, very good pieces, but they do require the special coil relocation kit. If you have the need, they are worth the $$, but if not, it is a moot point really to spend that much.

But then again, I think Zaino and Blingmaster are worthless as well. You can tell where my emphasis is.

Although we do carry these....PML Covers
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just ordered my set. Thanks John!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No problem Matt!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it possible to get these valve covers without the 3 coils for less $?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Answer : no.

Even in the GM parts lookup, they have that pn for the valve cover. There is no bare cover available.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id think youd still come out ahead after selling the 3 extras..

Sent you another email john
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Is it possible to get these valve covers without the 3 coils for less $?
Sure! I have one side and Irish350 has the other bare cover. PM me.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao, good call... why hadnt i thought of that
Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, good point! Problem is figuring out a fair price.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Whats fair for you and whats fair for them is one question. My second question is, how much do I get for a suppliers/finders fee? Lol
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I'll give you an electronic pat on the back and I'll send my business your way when the time comes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS9 valve covers