Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX block what lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX block what lifters?

Been looking at Morel link bar lifters for my lsx 427 twin build but i seen they showed a specific lifter for the lsx block is that correct? anyone have the right part# for the high rpm lifters? Is there any other lifters out there i should check out?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using the comp short travel link bar lifters in my lsx 427. So far I love them. I am using adjustable rockers with them though because there is very little preload on them. I really don't think they are very noisy either.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,189 Likes on 647 Posts

There are a several quality options out there. Our two most popular lifters for the LSX engines are going to be the Comp Cams Short Travel Race Lifters or the Lunati Linked Lifters.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the quality of the Morel, but without the higher price, Lunati offers these and we've been very happy with them as well. Of course you can't go wrong with the Comp's either.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well we covered the other brands but no one has answered the main question does the LSX block take different lifters compared to the standard LS blocks? and i dont want to cheap out on the lifters i just want a good product that will handle a 1200hp boosted engine that will spin to around 7k rpm.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Morel Link Bar Lifter... Standard Travel(not the limited travel version)

wouldnt go any other way.

I dont know which one you need for certain.

call somebody like Futral Motorsports or Straub Technologies to talk to them in detail and find out for certain...
its always better to talk to somebody who knows and sells them.

Last edited by soundengineer; 10-13-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LSx lifters and LS1/LS2/LS3 lifters are the same. HOWEVER, we will not build an LSx without a tie-bar lifter being utilized. The plastic trays they include with the blocks are, in our opinion, cheaper and more flimsy than even a stock LS1 tray that nobody likes.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I want to use a link bar lifter for sure just wanted to be sure the lsx block did not take a different lifter than a typical LS block. Can anyone tell me the difference in the Morel 5206 that LS blocks take and the 5274 which states they fit LSX/Warhawk blocks?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM
8 Second Club

if you bought a "Warhawk" block, then you need Warhawk Lifters...
if you just bought an LSx block, then you can use any LS/1/2/3/7 Lifters

which means Lifter bore in the Warhawk blocks is bigger and takes a .904 lifter vs the standard .842 lifter

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...um-block-.html

Last edited by soundengineer; 10-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

It does state LSX block also but there is a tall deck LSX block also so maybe that is the difference the length but they list another set 5472 for the .904 lifters.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

again....
instead of wasting time on here...
try calling somebody who sells them and can answer your question within 30 seconds.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
again....
instead of wasting time on here...
try calling somebody who sells them and can answer your question within 30 seconds.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I want to see some internet knowit alls I need some darma today. As long as its not mine. lol
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I emailed 4 vendors without one responce that is why i am asking i dont have time to sit on hold on the phone hoping they take the call! Its a simple question that anyone with a lsx block can answer regardless if they have Morel's or Comp's,ect.
I thought this forum was for asking questions guess i was wrong!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 PM
8 Second Club

call the vendor you bought the block from, or find another vendor that sells them....
its a very simple thing...they can tell you if it takes a different lifter or if they Just use any standard LS1/2/3/7 Lifter

Just call...

unfortunately, emails dont always get answered in a timely manner...sometimes a shop gets too many emails to answer each one right away, especially when they are doing double work by answering the phones and building performance vehicles at the same time......on top of that, some people just dont check them that often ...or for that matter, may not know how to use their computer very well...(many owners of performance shops are old school, and may not be in the modern age with the interwebz and all that new fangled technology)
many times the email is for general questions that can be answered about if they can get get part that you already know the info for, or just to find out general details about prices... they may have never intended for it to be a technical library... some only use their emails to deliver electronic reciepts and quotes.

then you have to consider the fast that those 4 you emailed, may not know, and may have to call directly or email morel on their own...
I've contacted morel in the past for my own setup....and they guy who makes them.. travels a lot and is not always in, so you get a voicemail and he gets back to you when he can in the order the calls were received... it was over a week for me to get a response because he was out at a race event and couldnt get the info I needed sooner..

hell.. try calling Futral Performance... I've never had an issue with them not being able to answer on the phone, or at a minimum, they will find out and call you back...if you cant answer the phone, they will leave a message for you.
I know they are a Morel Dealer and and engine builder...I'm fairly certain they can get the answer you need.

also, when you call asking for info, you should be prepared to order, or let them know you are ready to order once you have the right info....
nobody wants to be a technical library and do all the work and then have you go buy it thru somebody else

I cannot tell you anything different than I already did....

Part #'s for LSx lifters(which includes ls1/2/3/7)
Part #'s for Warhawk lifters...are specific to the warhawk block...

if you didint buy a Warhawk block , then you dont need a warhawk lifter.

if you bought an LSx block with a taller deck, then you need a longer pushrod...

Last edited by soundengineer; 10-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

I get all that and understand the phone deal and i am not one to call for free info. I try and find out the details before hand so i know what to buy or what to look for in the classifieds. The only think that confused the issue was they listed the LSX/ Warhawk lifters but dont specify whats different about them. I have a standard deck LSX block not tall deck. I was looking for contact info. for Morel to answer the questions but from what i read they dont take calls or emails they just manufacture.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
8 Second Club

correct, they no longer take calls....
you can call any dealer and they can answer your questions..

if its a street driven vehicle, you want 5206's as they will handle a little dirt and grit in the oil as you would normally get with a 3000 mile oil change

if its a race only vehicle and you are changing oil at the track on a regular basis after several passes.. then go with the 5294's... they dont do well with any dirt or crud..tighter tolerances, and dirt results in a collapsed lifter...so very clean oil is a must
Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Well i just found something out which sheds light on the subject the LSX block has a different lifter tray design that the norm and it has a boss which retians the tray almost in the middle of the lifters and the link bar would probably contact it. Comp has a lifter for the lsx/warhawk blocks that has a v in the link bar for clearance and they are all std. bore size so i would guess that's Morel's deal. Here is a link to a thread i found here showing them on post #17
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...eeds-xmas.html

Last edited by 6togo; 10-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6togo
Well i just found something out which sheds light on the subject the LSX block has a different lifter tray design that the norm and it has a boss which retians the tray almost in the middle of the lifters and the link bar would probably contact it. Comp has a lifter for the lsx/warhawk blocks that has a v in the link bar for clearance and they are all std. bore size so i would guess that's Morel's deal. Here is a link to a thread i found here showing them on post #17
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...eeds-xmas.html
again... you need the 5206's...
you wanted advice.,.. it was given
take it or leave it...

the LSx block does not have a different lifter tray...its the Warhawk block that is different
you dont need something specific to the warhawk... you need 5206 Link bar lifters
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe this will shed some light on what i am talking about you will clearly see the lsx block does in fact take different trays due to the 6th head bolt location. http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_06.html

Quick Reply: LSX block what lifters?