Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Weiand Street Warrior at SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and everyone on this thread jut got OWNED by Tony. haha
Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony has made me even happier as my GTO is heavy and I occasionally race it at the track.I will love the added low to midrange power this intake gives me over a LS2 especially if its $100 less then a FAST...

If I give up 10RW at peak but gain 15RW from 3000 to 5500 with the Wieand then its a no brainer for me.U hardcore drag racers will still want the Fast and or a Sheetmetal for your type of setup but us street guys should love the midrange bump in power
Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
Tony has made me even happier as my GTO is heavy and I occasionally race it at the track.I will love the added low to midrange power this intake gives me over a LS2 especially if its $100 less then a FAST...

If I give up 10RW at peak but gain 15RW from 3000 to 5500 with the Wieand then its a no brainer for me.U hardcore drag racers will still want the Fast and or a Sheetmetal for your type of setup but us street guys should love the midrange bump in power
JS....

The intake sounds perfect for you assuming they finally produce a production piece that mimics the prototype. It's design does make alot of sense for some of you but what I was trying to clear up was the fact this isnt the holy grail of plastic intakes for the more aggressive among us. I was excited about the prospect of something better than the FAST but as soon as I saw it I knew it would never have the top end charge and high RPM breathing abilities of the FAST which a conversation with Peter also confirmed. BUT, for some of you reading this it makes alot of sense....for others it most certainly does not. I was personally looking for something on the other end of the spectrum, something that would help the top end charge of my current 383 and the next larger displacement project I am currently working on. Looks like my ported FAST is still going to get the nod, but I might try the Wilson billet bank sheetmetal piece on the new larger motor and see how that works. With close to 450 CID I wont mind a little less TQ if it helps me generate significantly more power peak and past peak....an area even my ported FAST will be struggling with on that large a displacement.

But the ultimate release of this new intake is good because more choices are good and perhaps more competition will cause Comp (FAST) to back off a bit on their pricing....it seems they have had a monopoly on the aftermarket LS intake for a long time.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

^I was referring more to the people that were bitching about it not holding power out about 6200 RPM. Personally, I was just hoping for a little more top end than the LS6... but I guess I'll just have to go with the FAST afterall.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

i think this intake will be better for street than the fast. not many people rev over 6,500
but if you going for top end power than go fast
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MNR-0
We do, even throttle bodies, thank you very much...

wow great for you , wanna cookie?

Originally Posted by MNR-0
Stick to the streets then... ...
Oh please , take your holier than now attitude and shove a wombat up your *** lol, this about a manifold designed for the street guy, Try to stay with us. I know you're from down under and all.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
on the street that may be true but at the track the sheet metal would win...remember when you race you stay in the upper rpms which is where the sheetmetal intake shines
umm no. sheet metal intakes are for a very large volume of air, a little 346 with h/c shifting at 6500 rpm aint gonna do it.

I'm sure you talk from experience though, and not just talking because your a internet keyboard mechanic right?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you talking 6500rpm? I don't see where he said that.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
umm no. sheet metal intakes are for a very large volume of air, a little 346 with h/c shifting at 6500 rpm aint gonna do it.

I'm sure you talk from experience though, and not just talking because your a internet keyboard mechanic right?
I am curious what makes you an expert on the subject at hand? A lot of people like to spin their combos high, myself included. If you do a little bit of research, you will notice a correlation between the fastest cam only cars and heads cam cars. I guarantee you not a single one of them is spinning their engine under 6500 RPM, smart guy.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

it was an example

if I said 7500 rpm would that make you guys feel better? Hey I don't care go ahead and spend 2500 bucks on a custom sheet manifold and get beat it makes no difference to me.

real world experience is where I get my answers from..

blackz stick to posting on ls2.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way a sheet metal even begins to make sense is on a high strung solid roller 7500 RPM or greater piece.

Plus you had better be prepared to leave the line at 6000 plus....its really a race only piece and that's assuming the rest of the combination would hold up to the RPM necessary to best take advantage of it.

A few guys have already tried them in aggressive street stroker engines and they haven't been very effective...

Tony

PS....Certainly look intimidating though!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
it was an example

if I said 7500 rpm would that make you guys feel better? Hey I don't care go ahead and spend 2500 bucks on a custom sheet manifold and get beat it makes no difference to me.

real world experience is where I get my answers from..

blackz stick to posting on ls2.
What "real world experience" do you have?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it matter any for us running high lift cams?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

If it is indeed as advertised, then it should be sweet for a stalled car.With a 3600 stall you should have more torque on launch,and hence better 60' times. With a small to baby cam most are peaking at 6100/6300 rpm and shifting at 6500/6600 rpm.Assuming a 4800 shift extension you should have more power thru most of this range.This should IMHO result in better ets.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We spent some time looking over the intake at the PRI show. Here is my take on the intake. Again, this is just me and the folks I was with...

I saw some things that I liked on the intake like the larger plenum area, and the radius entry from the plenum. But, I and several folks who spent some time looking at the intake saw some things which caused us some serious concern.

When you look at the intake, you see that the ports on the new intake are smaller than the ls6. IMHO if you wanted to build a better intake, they would have built an intake with a D shaped runner like the factory intake but simply larger in scale. That coupled with a larger plenum volume and 90MM TB opening would have helped folks out. IMHO the intake shrinks too quickly, and the ports are just too small.

At the current price point I think I would give the nod to the FAST at this point. I think this manifold had potential, but in it current state, it needs to take a trip over to someone who better understands airflow to fix the runner design. I really think Holley needs to give this some more thought.

You can look at their provided dyno sheet and see this manifold is running out of gas on a small motor. Look at some of the graphs of the FAST and you can see the difference.

I'll say this. I think the manifold has some strong potential, but again, I don't think in its current form it is ideal.... I see definite room for improvement.

I spent some time talking with the guys from Wilson since they were showing a composite version of the super Victor for 23 degree stuff. I spent awhile pumping them about them doing something for the LS. But, I don't know if there is any restriction based on their development of the FAST.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Only time will tell,I am direct with Comp so if the Fast is better in the long run it'll be on my car,Still a very good post and alot of info from some smart people
Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing might flow a bit of air
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
MJD
12 Second Club

I can't wait for this intake. It looks like it is tailor made for my setup. I have no desire to spin to 7 grand and would be wasting my time if I did. I plan on shifting at 6200 on the track. For guys with mild setups this has the potential to be very sweet. I'll take one in everbrite chrome.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Me too MJD...
I'm waiting til I see it on a engine in the US
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

any definite word on when this will be out and what pricing will be?

Quick Reply: New Weiand Street Warrior at SEMA