Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Recommended Con Rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Con Rods

Looking at doing an LS2-based 427 (dry sleeved motor) and asking for con rod recommendations. Strength and light weight are more important factors to me than cost.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lunati Pro-Mod or Pro-Billet will do the trick.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

Oliver are one of the best as well....
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is cost or weight the biggest issue.

I'd look at a set of Jager transformed Al Cermaic composite rods if cost was not an issue ($1200) set.

If cost is an issue, you could look at the Probe I-Beams. Cheaper and lighter than many of the comparable rods out there.

Lunati's are good, just a bit heavier. You need to decide power levels you want to be at since many folks have a "power budget" they need to stay in.

Oliver and Carillo make very nice rods. You can pick up very nice Carillos which are slightly used by the NASCAR teams. You have to turn down the mains as they use the Acura main journal size (1.888)

Several shops sell them.

Example...

http://www.musclemotorsports.com/eng...beam-rods.html
Old 09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone - I had been looking at both Manley and Lunati Pro Billet, but maybe I need to look at more options. Also, what is the feedback on Scat rods? Once again, cost is not a primary factor, lightness and strength are. I will do some more research on some of the suggested rods.

Thanks again -everyone!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have been using a lot of the Scat H-beams, and they work very well. We're testing a set on our 404 cid LS2 twin turbo C6. We actually have used a few sets of the Carillo rods bought from the Nascar teams, and they work very well. Some are leary of having to machine the crank down to the 1.88" journal for a Honda/Acura rod bearing. We built a 396 cid stroker for our C5 using a stock GM crank off-set ground for 3.82" stroke, and we used the Carillos in it. It would put down 743 RWHP on nitrous, and it never gave us any problems whatsoever. We ended up selling the engine to a local customer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 10-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
We have been using a lot of the Scat H-beams, and they work very well. We're testing a set on our 404 cid LS2 twin turbo C6. We actually have used a few sets of the Carillo rods bought from the Nascar teams, and they work very well. Some are leary of having to machine the crank down to the 1.88" journal for a Honda/Acura rod bearing. We built a 396 cid stroker for our C5 using a stock GM crank off-set ground for 3.82" stroke, and we used the Carillos in it. It would put down 743 RWHP on nitrous, and it never gave us any problems whatsoever. We ended up selling the engine to a local customer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Trevor
So, the Scat H-beams are your con rod of choice? Are they made in USA? How do they compare with Carillos and Oliver in terms of quality and weight?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Scats are a popular connecting rod because of the great price for a great connecting rod. However, Carillo and Oliver both offer a top-of-the-line product. They will be able to get you a connecting rod with one of the highest horsepower ratings on the market that will withstand a LOT of abuse, but it will come at a hefty price if purchased new. We're going to do some durability testing on the Scats to see just how much abuse they'll take to see if their rated claims really hold up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Trevor

Quick Reply: Recommended Con Rods