Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ditto

My '07 SS tranny went about a month ago, 92K, never a problem ever before. Still drives when it hasn't warmed up, but when it does, there's nothing. I shut it off for a while a few miles from home and when I restarted I was able to limp back home and up my driveway. Going to take it out this weekend, it's finally warm here.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

My trans from a stop feels like its starting out in 2nd then after pulling for a few seconds feels like it downshifts into first. almost a rev and clunk but its pulling forward the whole time.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Mine was slip banging in my 06' monte ss, I put in the shift kit for it and it fixed my problems, well for now.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

GM 4T65 RACING TRANSMISSION COMPONENTS (GM writeup, kinda interesting)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by D J Real
holy hell, I think the real question is who still has their stock trans and hasn't had any problems? **** I think just me and a few others on here fall into the category.

My 2008 gxp has over 78 thousand miles on it.I have owned it for two months have no recordable issues with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Default 2009 Impala SS

Recently my SS Impala has been not shifting into 1st gear when stopped.
At take off it will start out in 2nd then a abruptly shift down to 1st resulting in a harsh "thump" I recently had a BG flush done on the tranny and the fluid is new and full. When shifting manually it works fine. I have been told it is a sticky shift valve and to just drive through it for a while and it will work it self out. I don't buy that. Have any of you had this issue? What else should I look for? How about an additional additive? Prior to the flush it was starting to do this and why I decided to do the flush.

Also it dosent do this all the time. I would say about 6 out of 10 starts it will happen. when going down the road all is well. shifts smooth, down shifts smooth when passing.

Thanks for your time.
Bill
Old 05-25-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BILL BERESFORD
Recently my SS Impala has been not shifting into 1st gear when stopped.
At take off it will start out in 2nd then a abruptly shift down to 1st resulting in a harsh "thump" I recently had a BG flush done on the tranny and the fluid is new and full. When shifting manually it works fine. I have been told it is a sticky shift valve and to just drive through it for a while and it will work it self out. I don't buy that. Have any of you had this issue? What else should I look for? How about an additional additive? Prior to the flush it was starting to do this and why I decided to do the flush.

Also it dosent do this all the time. I would say about 6 out of 10 starts it will happen. when going down the road all is well. shifts smooth, down shifts smooth when passing.

Thanks for your time.
Bill
There is a seal that applys the forward clutch, it starts to allow fluid around it and it does not build up pressure, thats why manually shifting it works, because the when the shifter is in 1st, the pressures are higher allowing it to overcome the leak. I drove like this for years and had no additional problems for a long time. Eventually i had it rebuilt by TEP.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

official diagnosis of the failure of mine at 100k from the trans shop was burnt input clutches, actuator fit limit valve failure and snapped forward and reverse bands. Go figure.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
official diagnosis of the failure of mine at 100k from the trans shop was burnt input clutches, actuator fit limit valve failure and snapped forward and reverse bands. Go figure.
That was a good rebuild job the last owner paid for.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
That was a good rebuild job the last owner paid for.
lol they didnt even open the trans up, they said everything in there was original GM stuff. shame there is no way he can get any recourse for that, guy paid well over 2000 bucks for the trans and never got anything.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 PM

ok, not sure if im at the right place, but here goes. 2008 impala ss. sometimes when I
stop at traffic light my trans drops out of gear, then when I press on the gas, it jumps into gear. only does it sometimes, mostly in the morning after about a mile and a half.
(first traffic light.) then its good for the day.any ideas? also cost to fix? thanks, wally.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn70
ok, not sure if im at the right place, but here goes. 2008 impala ss. sometimes when I
stop at traffic light my trans drops out of gear, then when I press on the gas, it jumps into gear. only does it sometimes, mostly in the morning after about a mile and a half.
(first traffic light.) then its good for the day.any ideas? also cost to fix? thanks, wally.

Its a common problem with the forward seal leaking, there is no fix until you have it rebuild , in the mean time use the shifter manually when starting out and put it in 1st, this will raise the line pressures to overcome the leak.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I've owned my car since brand new.. I special ordered it when I bought it... and I made it to 100,000 miles on my stock original tranny...

I'm now on my replacement GM SERTA tranny, and am at just about 102,000 miles...
2006 Impala SS with no mods. I am the original owner with 140k miles.

I started to see the slippage at stops signs recently.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Default Rebuilt @ 97,000

My trans had the typical issue of soft 1-2 shift and poor reverse engagement then the day it went out it was a "o" ring failure that bypassed all the pressure out the vent.
I did a performance upgrade with hardened shafts
Shift kit
External cooler
Mini high stall converter
Program updates from Baker Engineering
Now I have a problem with it randomly stalling from what seems to be the tcc not unlocking
Old 10-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Montejr
My trans had the typical issue of soft 1-2 shift and poor reverse engagement then the day it went out it was a "o" ring failure that bypassed all the pressure out the vent.
I did a performance upgrade with hardened shafts
Shift kit
External cooler
Mini high stall converter
Program updates from Baker Engineering
Now I have a problem with it randomly stalling from what seems to be the tcc not unlocking
baker needs to go through your tune again
Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Teching In

08 GP GXP bought in 2011 with 85k. Rebuilt trans. and new TC shortly after at 86k under 100k powertrain warranty. Now in 2016 with 112k, obviously not drove daily, slipping at lockup. Knew it was going to happen but not this soon. Time to find me a G8.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chauncey
08 GP GXP bought in 2011 with 85k. Rebuilt trans. and new TC shortly after at 86k under 100k powertrain warranty. Now in 2016 with 112k, obviously not drove daily, slipping at lockup. Knew it was going to happen but not this soon. Time to find me a G8.
Where was the transmission rebuilt? 26k is crap
Old 02-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Default Pretty much gone

Originally Posted by 91_rs-teal
81k on stock GP trans 200 degrees when idling WOT slighty chatters into second. Also soft shift then slight accel (not fully into 2nd) results in slip from first then clunk into second. so have to watch how i drive
Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Thanks for posting. I've added you to the list and total.
06 GP GXP 140,### miles and slipping bad sometimes it will shift just fine but now more than ever slipping when take off won't budge I'll shut it off then start it back up sometime it will go. And thanks for your post
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Default Slipping

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
This thread has moved to http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,33.0.html , which is at GMLS4.com.

It will no longer be supported or updated on this site. Please visit the above link to report issues and obtain information regarding the transmission problems that are so common to the LS4 cars. You will also find resources there that will teach you what you need to know about addressing and preventing the problems from happening again.
I have a 06 GP GXP 141### miles and I think it's finally gone the transmission that is, for the last couple of weeks slipping once in a while between 1-2 and sometimes it wouldn't sometimes I could push the throttle little more than it would grab, tonight I had to shut it off and start it back up then finally I was able to make it home, just curious to which way I should go different torque converter and clutches with shift kit, or rebuild kit
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by NewmansLS4
06 GP GXP 140,### miles and slipping bad sometimes it will shift just fine but now more than ever slipping when take off won't budge I'll shut it off then start it back up sometime it will go. And thanks for your post

time for a new transmission or rebuild..
these trannys are only good for around 90-100 thousand miles..
my 07 Monte Carlo AS is in the shop as we speak getting a new one.

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside