See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvd9431
Damn, get a sonnax kit installed in the valve body..
They have all been under warranty- and extended warranty, so haven't had a say in it...
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Well I made it to 84K and I am now starting to feel issues going from 3 into 4. Feels like it jumps then will slip back into 3. Other than that the trans seems fine. I never use tap but I have enjoyed my car. Can I fix this? I want to get my system flushed then replace fluid and filter and hope and pray it stops. Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by am3376
I have a 2007 Grand Prix GXP with 52k miles on it. I just left the dealer today because of transmissions issues. The transmission is slipping around 1500 to 2000 RPM on a slow acceleration up hill. The tech drove it and said he felt what im talking about but it isnt bad enough for them to rip it apart and fix it. So I guess I have to wait for a total failure for them to fix it under the GM major guard warranty. Very disappointed in this issue with GM. I even had my transmission fluid changed at 45k
Added you the list. You might want to try a different dealer, as mine was very cooperative as soon as they observed the problem.

Originally Posted by Raclio
I own a 2006 SS Impala that we purchased new. We have had oil consumption issues from early on and have fought the dealership about this issue.They said 1-2qt at every 1500-2000 mile was normal. I have a '99 K1500 Suburban with 150k that doesn't, but what do we know. They have replaced several items with the rings and pistons being the latest. Shortly after they replaced the pistons, I was at a stop light and we experienced the hesitation, engine revved and clunk sound and finally taking off. It has done this twice. We notified the dealership that has been doing all work to our car to get diagnosed. They said the fluid was a little low and that they hooked it up to a diagnostic computer and it shifted normal to manufactures specs. They wrote " Quart Low on fluid, could cause concern. Recommend flushing with new fluid and re-evaluating." I am not a transmission expert but I have driven cars with less fluid and not do that. My Impala just turned over 50k miles with original transmission. Please add me to your list and any help I can get. Thank you.
Added you the list.

Originally Posted by LS4:20
Tranny is starting to slip real bad from 1st-2nd.. Desired shift pressure is 180 (I think..) ... Mine shifts at 125... 75% slip.. terrific..
Added you to the list.

Originally Posted by ragingWS6
Add another transmission to the list. I am already on this list, got a new one at 95k and then this one failed at 123k again. They made me pay $3000+ for this new tranny. I am dealing with the district manager and getting nowhere. They won't admit issues with the transmission in any way. I am taking this 3rd transmission (which only has 1,800 miles on it) in for some of the same symptoms already (slips from start occasionally, transmission shutter when going up hills and the constant varying of RPMs while in 4th gear on the highway at part throttle). I will not rest until I am reimbursed for this last transmission....

This will be my last GM car, guaranteed.
Had you on the list from before.

Originally Posted by rvd9431
Im taking my car to gator transmission when it fails, they quoted me a fully rebuilt tranny installed in my car WITH a sonnax sure cure kit installed for $1695, all i have to do is supply the kit
Let us know how it goes and please give updates as you accumulate miles.

Originally Posted by 05gxpd
Add three to the list for me- one at 36k miles, another at 75k, and right now getting a third at 93.5k miles. Clearly this is a pos tranny.
Added you the list.

Originally Posted by TallassJonG
Well I made it to 84K and I am now starting to feel issues going from 3 into 4. Feels like it jumps then will slip back into 3. Other than that the trans seems fine. I never use tap but I have enjoyed my car. Can I fix this? I want to get my system flushed then replace fluid and filter and hope and pray it stops. Any suggestions?
Added you to the list.

Never flush these tranmissions. You could try a fluid/filter change and hope that it cures it, but I suspect that it won't. Most likely, the torque converter clutch is failing, and the material is circulating through the trans, which wipes out the clutch packs. This is what caused my first failure. If you find clutch material in the trans pan, then you know it's gotta be rebuilt.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Put me down for a new one. Dropping it off tomorrow. ODI# 10405305
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vettruck
Put me down for a new one. Dropping it off tomorrow. ODI# 10405305
Added you the list.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by am3376
I have a 2007 Grand Prix GXP with 52k miles on it. I just left the dealer today because of transmissions issues. The transmission is slipping around 1500 to 2000 RPM on a slow acceleration up hill. The tech drove it and said he felt what im talking about but it isnt bad enough for them to rip it apart and fix it. So I guess I have to wait for a total failure for them to fix it under the GM major guard warranty. Very disappointed in this issue with GM. I even had my transmission fluid changed at 45k
I had the same response from a dealer. They told me to come back when the problem gets worse. I told them fat chance. 1000 miles later I literally coasted into another dealership for the repair. It would barely move, they didn't even bother trying to test drive it any further. That was my 2nd Transmission @101K ... the 1st gave up on the PA turnpike 3hrs from home on a Sunday ... it was an awesome day.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Tranny started to bump shift into first from a start. Would only do it after driven for a few miles and then only from a dead stop, the tranny would slam into gear after hanging up in neutral. 80K miles. I put a bottle of Lucas Trans fix in it about a week ago and it hasnt done it since. Hopefully it will hold together for awhile...knock on wood.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by int_53185
Tranny started to bump shift into first from a start. Would only do it after driven for a few miles and then only from a dead stop, the tranny would slam into gear after hanging up in neutral. 80K miles. I put a bottle of Lucas Trans fix in it about a week ago and it hasnt done it since. Hopefully it will hold together for awhile...knock on wood.
Added you to the list.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Mine was replaced at 32000
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steves ls6
Mine was replaced at 32000
Added you the list.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Dropped my car off last wed. Just got my car back today. I was told all week that I was getting a new certa tranny. but when I got there I found out they had only replaced the valve body. Seems to be ok. but I don't trust it. Im sure ya'll will be hearing from me again in the next month or 2.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vettruck
Dropped my car off last wed. Just got my car back today. I was told all week that I was getting a new certa tranny. but when I got there I found out they had only replaced the valve body. Seems to be ok. but I don't trust it. Im sure ya'll will be hearing from me again in the next month or 2.
Let us know how it goes!!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Well, mine made it to 103,000 and now it's doing the refusing to accelerate from a stop and then slamming into first thing. I already filed a complaint with the NHTSA from the link on page one. Everyone on here who has had a problem should do it, it takes ten minutes, and the more that complain to NHTSA the better chance we have of restitution.

Anway, I've already been in contact with Dave at TEP; for those of you that have gotten a rebuild from him, how much was install/shipping?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by powerslave_clay
Well, mine made it to 103,000 and now it's doing the refusing to accelerate from a stop and then slamming into first thing. I already filed a complaint with the NHTSA from the link on page one. Everyone on here who has had a problem should do it, it takes ten minutes, and the more that complain to NHTSA the better chance we have of restitution.

Anway, I've already been in contact with Dave at TEP; for those of you that have gotten a rebuild from him, how much was install/shipping?

Thanks!
Added you to the list.

I had a valve body and torque converter shipped from Dave, but not a whole trans. The cost at my buddy's shop to R&R the trans was about $400. This was "by the book" at $75 per hour labor rate.

This was a "nice guy" price, as most shops in the area charge closer to $100/hour.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

luckly no problems for me yet....keeping the fingers crossed
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Hey Guys new to the forum, saw this as my first thread...

I recently purchased by 06 Impala SS with 70K Miles and thank the heavens above purchased a $400 'Factory Type' warranty for one year. I have only owned the car for about 4 months now and here is a list of the replacements I have encountered

Complete GM Used Certified Transmission
Water Pump
Water Pump Housing
Radiator

Total Cost: 4600~
My Cost: 850~

Symptoms of my transmission were slipping/rev and clunk/random gear downshift
So I could say that you could add me to this list...

Last edited by 06ImpalaLBM; 06-21-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Updated mileage when problems occured
Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Default 07 ss.......

trans has failed at 87,000, lost forward motion in drive, shifting to 2nd got it home, now no forward movement in any gear, still got reverse. no noise, no warning and fluid is clean and pcm has no codes....all this counting is fine and dandy, but has anyone found out what fails in these transmissions?? I'm a mechanic that works out of a shop I built behind my house and I have lots of experience with 4L60's, done a couple of 400's and 350's and one 4T65 in an older grand prix....I am now in the process of removing the trans from this 5.3 4T65e hd monte ss and I'm gonna find out!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nogoforwardss
trans has failed at 87,000, l
I love the name haha! Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nogoforwardss
trans has failed at 87,000, lost forward motion in drive, shifting to 2nd got it home, now no forward movement in any gear, still got reverse. no noise, no warning and fluid is clean and pcm has no codes....all this counting is fine and dandy, but has anyone found out what fails in these transmissions?? I'm a mechanic that works out of a shop I built behind my house and I have lots of experience with 4L60's, done a couple of 400's and 350's and one 4T65 in an older grand prix....I am now in the process of removing the trans from this 5.3 4T65e hd monte ss and I'm gonna find out!!!
Thanks for posting. There are several threads documenting the causes of these issues, and, in fact, there are many posts in this thread that explain the problems.

In a nutshell, TCC failures caused by an out-of-spec converter relief valve is a common cause of our problems. The TCC material ends up circulating through the transmission and wipes out the clutches, etc.

There are many other issues, including leaky valve body seals, that cause things like rev-and-clunk and so on.

If you're going to rebuild on your own, I recommend you contact Dave at www.tripleedgeperformance.com to get some LS4 4T65-HD specfic advice. He can tell you what you need to do so you don't have these problems again.

Oh, and added you to the list...You're lucky number #150!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Teching In

My 2007 GXP transmission is shot at 53K miles...I had it towed into the dealer and will be replaced under the GM extended warranty (thank god I purchased that warranty) The car first showed signs of the transmission going at 50K miles. Just as a note the car is stock and I dont sit there and do burn outs and I had the transmission fluid changed at 46K miles. Very disapointed in this tranny and it only lasted around 50K

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside