Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > LS4 Performance
Reload this Page >

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Notices
LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
Old 04-26-2016, 01:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

 
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
  #61  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
Mgpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ain't tellin'
Posts: 1,406
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mine failed twice. I guess you can add me to the first list again. lol... TEP trans. is holding up good.

-Mike
Mgpeagle is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 PM
  #62  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle View Post
Mine failed twice. I guess you can add me to the first list again. lol... TEP trans. is holding up good.

-Mike
You were also victim of a mistake on that first rebuild, right? Didn't a clutchpack go in backwards or something like that?
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
  #63  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
Mgpeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ain't tellin'
Posts: 1,406
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yeah, the first builder sucked!

-Mike
Mgpeagle is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
  #64  
Staging Lane
 
jdwilks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Add mine to the list of still on original tranny but issues. Started right at about 50k (changed fluid in mid 40k miles). I am at 60k miles now. Mine shudders, clunks when downshifting, and will rev and slam/clunk when at a stop sometimes. The third issue I wish would get worse and then I will take to dealer for warranty. After I get it replaced I will be getting shift kit and cooler asap

My car has shudders since 20k miles. Wife drives it mostly and the car has seen a lot of highway miles. I drive it hard here and there and use to use the tap shift a lot but the way it shifts its no fun to use anymore. I plan on keeping the car a long while so I am sure eventually TEP will get some of my business

Last edited by jdwilks; 01-04-2011 at 10:59 PM.
jdwilks is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
  #65  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdwilks View Post
Add mine to the list of still on original tranny but issues. Started right at about 50k (changed fluid in mid 40k miles). I am at 60k miles now. Mine shudders, clunks when downshifting, and will rev and slam/clunk when at a stop sometimes. The third issue I wish would get worse and then I will take to dealer for warranty. After I get it replaced I will be getting shift kit and cooler asap

My car has shudders since 20k miles. Wife drives it mostly and the car has seen a lot of highway miles. I drive it hard here and there and use to use the tap shift a lot but the way it shifts its no fun to use anymore. I plan on keeping the car a long while so I am sure eventually TEP will get some of my business
Already had you on there!

Hopefully, you can get it taken care of while still under warranty..Just don't wait too long!
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
  #66  
Staging Lane
 
jdwilks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Sorry, guess I should have read the list first. Guess you searched other threads before making this one. My fault for not reading completely
jdwilks is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
  #67  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdwilks View Post
Sorry, guess I should have read the list first. Guess you searched other threads before making this one. My fault for not reading completely
No worries, mate. I'd rather have you chime in, just in case I would have missed you!
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
  #68  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I hope I'm not too late to join the cool guys. Rebuilt tranny at 60k here. Just stopped shifting one day.
KB06GXP is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
  #69  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KB06GXP View Post
I hope I'm not too late to join the cool guys. Rebuilt tranny at 60k here. Just stopped shifting one day.
It's never too late to join the list!

I added you and updated the total.
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
  #70  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Added vroom_vroom and havelegs today.
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
  #71  
TECH Regular
 
scarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I had a transmission go at about 56,000KM. The first dealer I brought it to the ******* had my warranty blocked because he said after market parts [email protected] up my transmission. Brought it to another dealer and they warrantied the transmission before GM could post the previous notes. I wonder if GM sent out this mass recall what they would do with A hole dealers trying to block warranty on the **** *** transmissions.
scarlett is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
  #72  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
I had a transmission go at about 56,000KM. The first dealer I brought it to the ******* had my warranty blocked because he said after market parts [email protected] up my transmission. Brought it to another dealer and they warrantied the transmission before GM could post the previous notes. I wonder if GM sent out this mass recall what they would do with A hole dealers trying to block warranty on the **** *** transmissions.
Not sure if GM encourages the dealer to look for reasons for to deny coverage. I do know the Moss-Magnuson Act is a bit vague, and it would take an attorney to challenge a denial if escalating to GM proved fruitless.

It's good you found a dealer that took care of you. It's just a shame that the replacement tranny has the same flaws as the original.
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
  #73  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Added BlauGXP to the list.
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
  #74  
On The Tree
iTrader: (3)
 
07MCSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Add me to the second list. Mine is making noises and it's throwing codes. I'm taking it in next week.
07MCSS is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
  #75  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 07MCSS View Post
Add me to the second list. Mine is making noises and it's throwing codes. I'm taking it in next week.
Done!

You may want to file this issue with GM and the NHTSA as described on this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ls-inside.html
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
  #76  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Killeen, Texas.
Posts: 1,398
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JP_GXP View Post
For the record, mine was a rental with ~10k on it when I bought it. The first trans went due to a faulty TCM, I kept beating it even though it was malfunctioning, the flush didn't help either. This factory rebuilt worried me a little bit, but it's perfectly fine.

There are 80K+ LS4 powered vehicles on the road.

And you can take gxp-miller off that list, there is nothing wrong with his transmission. How many other names are on there that shouldn't be? You have single-handedly ruined this forum for me, just so you know. I've put up with a lot of flack about my car and you're the one to run me off. Congratulations, I'm gone like Mike.
What's the issue? I'm sure I'm missing something.
CenTexSS is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
  #77  
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You can go ahead and add me to the problem category.

Mine shudders really bad at WOT on the 1-2 shift. I seriously doubt it's wheel hopping so seems to be something internal.

Works fine any other time though.

2005 GP GXP with 71,000 miles. Fluid is cherry red and smells fine and I have a tranny cooler.
Andrew91PGT is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
  #78  
On The Tree
iTrader: (3)
 
07MCSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The turbo is probably contributing just a little to my transmission's issues too.
07MCSS is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
  #79  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andrew91PGT View Post
You can go ahead and add me to the problem category.

Mine shudders really bad at WOT on the 1-2 shift. I seriously doubt it's wheel hopping so seems to be something internal.

Works fine any other time though.

2005 GP GXP with 71,000 miles. Fluid is cherry red and smells fine and I have a tranny cooler.
Added you to the list.

Originally Posted by 07MCSS View Post
The turbo is probably contributing just a little to my transmission's issues too.
Where you having problems, pre-turbo?
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
  #80  
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
chaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,403
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Damn, reaching the 100 mark...
chaman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside


About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: