Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can add me slams into gear every once in a while then will delay shifting from 2-3
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaley1987
getting a real bad clunk and stutter going about 50-60 mph. its so bad, it feels like the car is going to shut off. started as every three days, it is now an everyday problem almost making it undrivable. so i am slowly stacking funds for a rebuild.
Originally Posted by 06gxp kid
can add me slams into gear every once in a while then will delay shifting from 2-3
Added you both to the list.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2006 SS just started jumping in and out of 4th gear at around 40-50 mph. Makes a strange grinding/rattle noise at startup too. What is that, the chain? 66K miles. This bums me out.... add me to the list.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
My 2006 SS just started jumping in and out of 4th gear at around 40-50 mph. Makes a strange grinding/rattle noise at startup too. What is that, the chain? 66K miles. This bums me out.... add me to the list.
Probably the converter clutch. I would pull the pan ASAP and look for material. if you find any, it's rebuild time.

Added you to the list.

BTW- Love your signature quote!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Teching In

I just starting experiencing some issues in December. Car shudders(sometimes more violently than others) during acceleration. Car has a considerable loss of power which I think might possibly be related. Had the transmission serviced in January. Fluid was almost black and there was an excessive amount of TCC material on the magnet in the bottom of the pan. I took it to the local Chevy dealer last week and went for a drive. I was driving. He said he felt the shudder and it probably is the tcc or the trans. But it seemed as though they didn't want to even look into it. They asked if I have a warranty on it. I have a warranty through Zurich not GM. Their advice was drive it till it gets worse and then contact Zurich with the problem. The car just turned over 65,000 miles.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Default Transmission #3 is going in today

At just over 100K the 3rd transmission (replacement #2) is going in
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HENRYGXP
I just starting experiencing some issues in December. Car shudders(sometimes more violently than others) during acceleration. Car has a considerable loss of power which I think might possibly be related. Had the transmission serviced in January. Fluid was almost black and there was an excessive amount of TCC material on the magnet in the bottom of the pan. I took it to the local Chevy dealer last week and went for a drive. I was driving. He said he felt the shudder and it probably is the tcc or the trans. But it seemed as though they didn't want to even look into it. They asked if I have a warranty on it. I have a warranty through Zurich not GM. Their advice was drive it till it gets worse and then contact Zurich with the problem. The car just turned over 65,000 miles.
Added you to the list.

I think there are enough obvious problems where you could file a claim now.

Originally Posted by itchy
At just over 100K the 3rd transmission (replacement #2) is going in
You're already on the list from previous posts.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Took mine in today for the transmission slipping at stop lights. Seemed to be getting worse with the cold weather so was hoping it would duplicate the issue at the dealership. Nope, just got the call that nothing was found wrong with it. Still got a few years of warranty left so hoping it takes dump before then.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks LS1. I was hanging on to the tiniest bit of hope that GM would do something to fix these problems (I know it probably isn't going to happen unless there are a lot more complaints). My warranty says they can replace the transmission with the option of new, rebuilt or used. I would rather GM fix it instead of somebody throwing a used piece of junk in. I did file a complaint with NHSTB.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HENRYGXP
Thanks LS1. I was hanging on to the tiniest bit of hope that GM would do something to fix these problems (I know it probably isn't going to happen unless there are a lot more complaints). My warranty says they can replace the transmission with the option of new, rebuilt or used. I would rather GM fix it instead of somebody throwing a used piece of junk in. I did file a complaint with NHSTB.
I had an aftermarket warranty on my '95 Aurora. It's the only the other GM car that I had ever transmissions problems with. Unfortunately, when I had simultaneous trans failure, along with the motor spinning two rod bearings, the warranty company went and found a used 60,000 motor and trans to go in my 72,000 mile car.

As for your car, unless the new transmission addresses the shortcomings of a factory stock or rebuilt unit, it's extremely likely that you'll eventually have problems again. There's lots of people here, myself included, who have experienced multiple failures.

If you want info about what the root cause is, and what can be done about it, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...e-project.html

For the results, check this one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...-upgrades.html
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You're already on the list from previous posts.
I know that. I wanted to be on the 3rd transmission club list.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

add me to failure, going into the shop next week, only got reverse and 1st gear
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks again LS1. All good information to have. Today I had to take my girlfriend to the airport. And from a dead stop, I went moderately on the throttle. Motor revved and then the car slammed into gear and took off. Not a good feeling. Better get the Chevelle running right if the GXP is going to be out of commission.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Trans is really, really bad at 56k in my 06 Impala SS. I bought it at 40k and threw every bolt-on at it dynos to 361 crank HP with a custom HP tuners tune. under light acceleration and at slow speeds it shifts very soft and smooth but since 51k the tranny slips and catches on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at about 3/4 throttle and when 2nd engages i dont accelerate for about 2 seconds then it just smokes em' haha. At WOT it won't shift from first to second at all until after I get off of the noise pedal. I lost a race to a little VW N/A 5 banger because of it yesterday, so pissed. THANKS GM!

If GM really wanted to do a great job on the flashback our cars represent RWD would have been nice but not necessary. All our cars needed was the same engine with a version of the 4t65e with EQUAL LEGNTH DRIVESHAFTS and internal parts to stand up to a healthy V8. This would solve all the problems we have with our drivetrain and handeling but it would undoubtfully have issues anyways.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS

If GM really wanted to do a great job on the flashback our cars represent RWD would have been nice but not necessary. All our cars needed was the same engine with a version of the 4t65e with EQUAL LEGNTH DRIVESHAFTS and internal parts to stand up to a healthy V8. This would solve all the problems we have with our drivetrain and handeling but it would undoubtfully have issues anyways.
The axles are not the problem on the stock to moderately modded cars. It's the valve body and related parts that cause 90% of our failures. Even though the trans is at the very limit of it's torque capacity, the vast majority of them would survive our motors had GM no made several compromises in the name of smoothness.

Oh, and I added you to the list.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

I had my transmission replaced in 2009 at 96k miles due to lost of first gear. All other gears worked but that one. I now have 120k and I have the shutter going up hills in O/D at low RPMs now. I am going to take the car back to the dealer and complain as a BRAND NEW transmission should not go out after 24k miles. Also, on a side note, I replaced the fluid 1k miles ago and it was JET BLACK. Yes, it was a few thousand miles overdue, but it should have NEVER looked like that.

FYI, I have an '05 GXP with my only mod being a K&N AirCharger.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ragingWS6
I had my transmission replaced in 2009 at 96k miles due to lost of first gear. All other gears worked but that one. I now have 120k and I have the shutter going up hills in O/D at low RPMs now. I am going to take the car back to the dealer and complain as a BRAND NEW transmission should not go out after 24k miles. Also, on a side note, I replaced the fluid 1k miles ago and it was JET BLACK. Yes, it was a few thousand miles overdue, but it should have NEVER looked like that.

FYI, I have an '05 GXP with my only mod being a K&N AirCharger.
Added you to the list.

BTW- Most likely, you got a SERTA transmission, not brand new. This is a factory remanufactured trans that has all of the same flaws as the original.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Slams into second when cold

Add me

Every now and then my car does this, usually when I just start driving it after 4-8 hours of it sitting.

What it does is, when I'm taking off from a stop, it starts out OK, but after a second it tries to shift from first to second and it slips (no power, high rpm) and then SLAMs into second. People riding with me are always like wtf.

I'm sure if I took it to the dealer they would say they can't duplicate it and tell me to go pound sand.

Guess I have to wait for it to completely die, and by then all my warranties will be up.

2006 Impala SS, 60,000 miles, original transmission.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM

First post on this site....well its not a great one....add me to this fantastic list.

I just bought my car last wednesday and so far its been to the shop twice. first was the intermediate shaft, now last night the tranny didnt want to go into 4th and it finally slammed itself in. I now have a rental for the next few days while it gets looked at.

its a 2007 grand prix gxp with 56k
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBrow24
First post on this site....well its not a great one....add me to this fantastic list.

I just bought my car last wednesday and so far its been to the shop twice. first was the intermediate shaft, now last night the tranny didnt want to go into 4th and it finally slammed itself in. I now have a rental for the next few days while it gets looked at.

its a 2007 grand prix gxp with 56k
I'm sorry to hear this. You're the second person in the last couple of weeks who bought their car, and had trans problems within a few days of purchase.

Added you to the list.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside