LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default voltage drop

What might cause the voltage on my DIC to drop ever 4-5 seconds?

voltage looks like (according to dic) that it drops about .4 to .5 volts every 5 seconds or so cause headlights to dim, interior lights to dim if on, etc
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bad alternator, faulty wiring, sudden jumps in load in the system, bad relay (headlamp relay, there is a recall for it). etc etc
Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Default quick video of DIC

Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spawne32
bad alternator, faulty wiring, sudden jumps in load in the system, bad relay (headlamp relay, there is a recall for it). etc etc
I cant find this recall... where online can I see this recall? I have a 2008
Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://repairpal.com/recall/15V519000

the headlamp driver module, is literally just the relay in the fuse block that becomes faulty due to heat from the engine. My headlights have flickered since the day I bought my car especially when coming down to stop I notice it. Havent actually paid no mind to charging voltage when it happened though.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Launching!

doubt I would get it done for free since I'm a 2008 and not listed in the affected cars.

SO I guess to test your theory I just need to override the auto headlights and simply just... turn them on...

If the car does what it does in the video I provided with headlights on but not with headlights off... then the recall you suggest could also affect 2008 models is that what you are saying?

My car goes in like... 5 second intervals... drops.... goes back up... drops, etc... is that what yours does?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
doubt I would get it done for free since I'm a 2008 and not listed in the affected cars.
could always just replace the relay, i think its like 10 bucks
Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Launching!

what relay? Bare in mind I own a socket set... a few screwdrivers, and I think 2 different hammers no idea why...

I don't have a garage or a driveway really I live in an apartment... I can do simple things and I'm sure a relay is easy but I don't know which one... I usually just pay people who have hoists, tools, expertise etc... it costs more but that's what you do when you are not a mechanic and I have zero tuning ability etc.

Right now I have gross misfires on ALL cylinders.... mysterious voltage drop every 5 seconds... not really sure if everything is related... the transmission shifts like **** once every 3 months or so and then mysteriously goes away and shifts fine.... plus a 2008 car with 200,000 KM on it who knows if half the wires are internally cooked and corroded causing everything too... I mean I'm not an electrical guy.... I know about golfing, a bit about PC computers and I go to the gym and work like 6 days a week during the day LOL...

Car problems put me over the edge.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was me, I would get the alternator tested. I think with your limited tools and work area this will be a struggle though. There is also a sensor on the negative cable that could be bad, another bitch to replace.

Also check this thread, post 14 has some info on that, not sure its your problem but worth a read.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...er-active.html
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Launching!

I put a new alternator on 4000 km ago... so now I have a new ACdelco battery and supposedly a good alternator...

so just to clarify... because I have a 2008 model my sensor IS the updated one because it appears that leading up to and including some 2007 models a different sensor was used... then the update came on all 08's... you are suggesting having it replaced because it could now have since become defective correct not because you think it is the old design?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not an expert, not trying to help you spend money just throwing some ideas at you . If your alternator has been replaced maybe start looking into the sensor. Yours should be the updated one, but who knows. Its a sensor, I would think it can be tested. Replacement is either cutting the negative cable or replacing the damn thing to do the sensor I think. Hopefully someone who has done this chimes in with more info. I am willing to bet all these problems that have recently arised are related.

Quick Reply: voltage drop