LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Wheels? Has anyone...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007 | 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default Wheels? Has anyone...

Has anyone eliminated the polyurethane coating off their wheels and polished their brushed aluminum to bright shine and then recoated their wheels?

I would love to do this, I like my SS wheels, but I love the new polished ones they have for the 2008 Impala SS. But I figure I can do the polishing myself, it is the coating afterwards. Where can we get the polyurethane to re-coat the wheels afterwards?
Old 10-29-2007 | 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

IDK...but the new (different) ones are Chrome. I have the polished aluminum, and they came in just machined aluminum, too. Which do you have? Guessing the polished?
Old 10-29-2007 | 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well Chris... If GM call mine polished, those boys that polished mine need to be fired!!!
Old 10-29-2007 | 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

maybe they goofed and put the regular wheels on it...

hell, I saw an SS at my dealership that didn't have the SS's on it... it had LTZ badging, no chrome tips, etc... knew it was an SS by looking at the steering wheel and opening the hood...

if they don't look shiny like in my PICS, then they probably gave you the wrong wheels...

Mels SS just posted up pics of his car, his are nice and shiny too...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/806196-new-pics.html

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-29-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

I was just at lunch and looked at mine (without seeing your last post, SS Black) and mine are REALLY shiny and purdy...and i know they're clearcoated due to the fact that it's peeling in a couple spots where they may have come in contact with a curb.

Is it possible you got just the machined aluminum wheels and just overlooked that...??? These are what the polished ones look like...

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 10-29-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

You can even get chrome ones on the 2008. They look awesome!
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

suuuuure, rub it in on the poor guy....

I think he's just got the wrong wheels on the car... cuz if they were polished, you'd know it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-29-2007 | 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Oh... I am finding all kinds of BAD THINGS about my car. Like the fact that the passenger front fender was replaced, the windshield, and the roof was repainted. Must have been a pretty bad accident at the plant... Boys must have dragged raced it off the line and OOPS!

How do I know? The paint on the every body panel has orange peel, but the right front fender. The paint is flat, and under direct sunlight or high intense lights, it is a different shade of black. On the roof line, there are drips. On the front fender it also has a drip line. I checked with the boys here, to see if the accident occurred here at the dealership and everybody says, "No... your car came in perfect, and no one drove it." So I called GM today (customer service) to see if they would tell me if the car was damaged at the plant or in shipment. "We have no records of an accident."
Old 10-29-2007 | 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

damn!! that sucks dude...

Old 10-30-2007 | 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I had the chrome rims from the 08's. The polished look good that's what I have, but the chrome would be sweet. Although I think these rims painted black might look cool.
Old 10-30-2007 | 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the chrome wheels are available I am going to buy them for summer rims.

I know we had the SS wheel debate before, but I like them.

My wheels are also the polished, but are nothing compared to chroming. As a matter of fact, one of my friends pointed out her chrome rims on her Grand Am GT were "shinier than mine, haha".

It seems over time my wheels are not responding to cleaning and polishing. Chinese crap. So when my car was in the shop, I asked them if they scuff the rims and spray some new clear over them, and I got something about needing to send them out, 2 weeks, blah blah.

Chrome for me baby! (as a matter of fact, I'm calling the dealer right now ...)

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 10-30-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2007 | 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 20SS07
I wish I had the chrome rims from the 08's. The polished look good that's what I have, but the chrome would be sweet. Although I think these rims painted black might look cool.
I also like the gunmetal looking dark rims that are on the Corvette Z51 and the Cobalt SS
Old 10-30-2007 | 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Called Berger, they gave me some GM OE website, wheels aren't on them yet.

http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/Home/
Old 10-30-2007 | 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I had a choice of polished or chrome, and I picked polished, after looking at 2 models they had at the dealership I figured I'm not a fan of flashy chrome wheels, I love the polished/aluminum look over chrome! Just my .02!
Old 10-30-2007 | 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

That's my thought as well, Notime...i think i still would have done the polished. This is why i went with the black wheels i did when i decided to go aftermarket...not a big fan of a lot of chrome.
Old 10-30-2007 | 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

same here fellas... don't like a lot of chrome either...

what gets me is, on the Monte, everything is blacked out - mirrors, trim around the windows, etc etc, but they put on that upper grill that has chrome around it!! what's up with that??!! that's the only thing chrome on the whole car... doesn't make sense... I like it all blacked out...

Old 10-30-2007 | 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

...and it just so happens to be interchangeable with the Impala, i believe. Surprise you?

I thought about blacking out the chrome around the doors on mine, but it adds a little bit of goodness to the car, and will look awesome with my my wheels.

On a related note, as i mentioned the clearcoat on a couple of my wheels is coming off from the edge...is there any way to get it to stop? Clear nail polish, maybe?
Old 10-30-2007 | 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Must be a generation gap here, you guys like 20" rims with no tires, but think chrome rims are too flashy?

Maybe you will like these then (check out how easily it attracts women):

Old 10-30-2007 | 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i've seen those...pretty cool if you like that kinda thing.

I know all the chicks around here are going to get out of their cars to look at mine