LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Wapring Rotors on 06 Impy SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wapring Rotors on 06 Impy SS

I keep warping rotors. I drive in heavy traffic and frequently encounter hard braking. Anyone have success with slotted/cross drilled rotors? I could not find a thread on this subject and have google searched for a rotor for our cars with no success. Most of the popular rotors don't show they make one for 2006's.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Try Ebay.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yep Ebay. I've got some of the "Suzuka" er whatever they call them rotors. I can PM you a link if you want. They've worked out pretty good, I've yet to post pics, but again can if you want. After about 2 very spirited trips through the mountains keeping up with my other LSx brethren, I can offically declare them pretty darn good rotors. Though they take quite a while to bed, and will eat the pads up good at first.

Also, just in case, if you keep warping rotors, make sure you torque the wheels down even. If not, you risk the chance of rotor warpage due to uneven pressure against it.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Magna, can you tell us more about these rotors? How much? Did they bolt right up without any problems? Any squeaking? Do they come with pads?

Some pics would be nice.

I'll take a PM with a link in it too. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually i just bought a set of R1Concepts Drilled and slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads. cost 350 /w shipping. Havn't put them on yet i'm waiting to get the steering fixed and its 6 month trip to the dealership before i put them on. Plus i'm going to paint my calipers while there off :-X
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Please, keep us updated. I'm seriously considering getting new rotors and R1 were at the top of my list.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Corny40
Hey Magna, can you tell us more about these rotors? How much? Did they bolt right up without any problems? Any squeaking? Do they come with pads?

Some pics would be nice.

I'll take a PM with a link in it too. Thanks!
I'll Post some tonight for ya, bout to leave for work now.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Sweet!

Thanks MP!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting. Wonder if the discount at NAIOA is still good on the R1's after bbE ripped them a new one...LOL
Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, here is what I have. I'm sorry for the poor pics. I will have full pictures in a week or so when I rotate the tires.

Again, these are Ebay rotors, you can find them here:

ACUAuto Rotors

They sell them as Front and Rear sets, or just Front. These are cross drilled only. I personally wasn't looking for slotted rotors, I was mostly interested in brake fade, warping and heat. It's debatable I know, but this is what I wanted.

Anywho. These rotors are apparently made from AutoStar blanks, I don't know much about them, other than this was the box they came in, with the original part number.

I ordered mine plated and hub painted. The hub paint was useless, and kinda thin, I wouldn't recommend it really, but its neither here nor there. The plated at first seemed useless as well, during the bedding of the rotors, they looked like **** at first, and were a bit noisy. These rotors aren't completly smooth at first, and will take a couple days to fully smooth out. With that said, I took them through a mountain run right after doing a proper pad bed in. They still did great, and I didn't have any fade or issues otherwise even though they were a bit noisy.

Now that I've had them for about 4k miles or so, they are as quiet as stock. With only occasional squeaking while backup up when they are cold. The design of the rotors is the common radial pattern from center. They have what looks like a divot around the over all hole, then as smaller bore afterwords. I haven't had any issues with rusting or otherwise.

Again I'll try to get better pics later. The last two were taken tonight (yes it's dirty as hell). The first one, is the day I installed, you can look closely and see that they were a bit rough at first.

As for ACU, they were okay. Given that I requested plating and paint, they took about 3 days to process. They don't really communicate with you unless you prompt them first. Not the best Ebayer, but not the worst. The parts got here, and I was happy.

Sorry for the long post.
Attached Thumbnails Wapring Rotors on 06 Impy SS-p1060541.jpg   Wapring Rotors on 06 Impy SS-p1070020.jpg   Wapring Rotors on 06 Impy SS-p1070023.jpg  

Last edited by MagnaPilot; 11-07-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should have my r1concepts on in a week can't wait!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Interesting. Wonder if the discount at NAIOA is still good on the R1's after bbE ripped them a new one...LOL

Which time???
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, really. I'm debating what to do with the $300 or so i have saved up post-wheel install. I was considering the R1's, but with all of the "yay" or "nay" i've been hearing, i'm leary of the drilled rotors now...esp. the R1's.

Kinda funny...Pitch loves them, and bbE hates them...you know me though, you'll get them and they'll be great, and i'll get them and they'll be $h!t...just my luck, eh?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i'll let you know how i like them. If they don't work out i'll just go purchase some OEM rotors and put the r1's on ebay for 50% off :-\
Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Word of warning...some claim to get a clicking sound from a certain combination of pads and the R1 rotors. Can't remember if it's the semi-mets that they sell with the kit or the ceramics that people put on to help the dust issue.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your guidance.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not the best wheel for showing off the fancy rotors.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i guess that could have been left out of the discussion.

Anyway, after looking at the new site, I noticed that you no longer carry (or show) the premium line of D/S rotors. What gives? What's the difference between the eLine and the Premium set? (i'll go back to the site and see if i can find out for myself).

Oh yeah, kudos on the new site...much better than the old one.

EDIT: I see that, among other things, the premium get more drilled holes and double-disc grinding.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

r1concept any reason its taking like 3/4 days to get my order shipped............................. Now with the weekend coming possibly 6 days.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Because they make each one fresh to order when you order...i think. Plus theres time in zinc plating as well. If you look around at the other sellers on eBay...every one says shipping could take up to a week due to those factors.

Well, what's the price on the premium? I see the eLine going for under $200 on eBay.