LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Stall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Stall?

I have the Car in the Sig and My best time at the track last night was 13.7 @ 103 MPH. I know i need a stall, but i am clueless how they work and what would be a good one to get?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Yank, Circle D, and Precision Industries (Vigilante) seem to be the top contenders when it comes to stalls. I would give Yank a call and discuss what you have done to the car and what you want out of it and they will point you in the right direction.

All depends what you want from the car really, I'd say a 3200 would be really nice for daily driving and track use but maybe a little small if heads/cam are in your future. I have a Yank SS3600 and its incredible, 1.6x 60's (cam-only/full weight) and its alot of fun on the street. Having it restalled to a PT4000 soon here to better compliment my setup.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As stated, I'd go with a Yank or Vig stall. 3200-3400 would be good for bolt-ons.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank SS3600. I would say the SS3200 but even Dave at Yank will tell you to bump up to the 3600 because the difference between the two is so small.
http://www.converter.cc/converters/street/GM/2/
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

i also vote yank ss3600 as i have one...stealth lead me to this one as well...thanks stealth!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Yank, Circle D, and Precision Industries (Vigilante) seem to be the top contenders when it comes to stalls. I would give Yank a call and discuss what you have done to the car and what you want out of it and they will point you in the right direction.

All depends what you want from the car really, I'd say a 3200 would be really nice for daily driving and track use but maybe a little small if heads/cam are in your future. I have a Yank SS3600 and its incredible, 1.6x 60's (cam-only/full weight) and its alot of fun on the street. Having it restalled to a PT4000 soon here to better compliment my setup.
You know with a lot of people wanting to go Yank these day's and being unsure which one to run (3200, 3600 etc) and never have driven one or gone for a ride in a stalled LTx,,, it would sure be nice of your to do a US road trip everyone's area of stay and take them for a ride to get them a better idea of which way to go. Seriously Stealth, help us fellow brothers out
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whammer33024
i also vote yank ss3600 as i have one...stealth lead me to this one as well...thanks stealth!
No problem bro! Glad you like it!

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
You know with a lot of people wanting to go Yank these day's and being unsure which one to run (3200, 3600 etc) and never have driven one or gone for a ride in a stalled LTx,,, it would sure be nice of your to do a US road trip everyone's area of stay and take them for a ride to get them a better idea of which way to go. Seriously Stealth, help us fellow brothers out
Hahahaha at 11mpg this might be expensive! By time I get back home I might cross the 20,000 mile mark nooooo!!

I would love to take some new vids of the SS3600 but unfortunately when the new trans goes in a new stall goes in with it. I have some old videos about 5 or 6 if anyone is looking into the Yank SS3600 and wants to see how it drives under normal driving and whatnot. I'm not even going to try and post vids of the PT4000 thats going in because that thing will be as loose as Pamela Anderson lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

No problem bro! Glad you like it!

Hahahaha at 11mpg this might be expensive! By time I get back home I might cross the 20,000 mile mark nooooo!! I would love to take some new vids of the SS3600 but unfortunately when the new trans goes in a new stall goes in with it. I have some old videos about 5 or 6 if anyone is looking into the Yank SS3600 and wants to see how it drives under normal driving and whatnot.
Lol.. yeah I would hate to see your car break 20k! Poor thing Hey if you wouldn't mind "pm" me with those vids when you get a chance that would be awesome of ya!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a Yank SS3600... still need to put it in though

Stealth also referred me to that one too.. I might switch to a SS4000 when I get my new fully built engine and nitrous
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Lol.. yeah I would hate to see your car break 20k! Poor thing Hey if you wouldn't mind "pm" me with those vids when you get a chance that would be awesome of ya!
No prob man I'll try and get them to you tonight. If I dont dont be mad because its "State Pattys" Weekend so if I dont get you them till later this weekend its because I'm doing alot of Kegger at my place tomorrow night, get on a plane and head on over!

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I bought a Yank SS3600... still need to put it in though

Stealth also referred me to that one too.. I might switch to a SS4000 when I get my new fully built engine and nitrous
Your gonna love it, its a great converter for "most" people and real nice as a first stall. IMO the perfect converter for lots of street driving and killer track times, anything more becomes a little too much for most people on the street. The SS4000 is a sick converter too, just have yours restalled for $225 when you change your setup in the future and you will be good to go.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

LMAO!! I'm in no rush bro. Whenever you get a chance..damn, a little heads up next time on the kegger at your pad! Especially since I've got Irish blood in me Remember the last drunk messaging you sent me after a long night of drinking?? I look forward to another one that shi* was hilarious!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay so the SS3600 would be the best way to go? Will this affect my gas mileage and the way the car runs on the street?

Im so clueless on how a stall works i guess i better google it or something?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28SS
okay so the SS3600 would be the best way to go? Will this affect my gas mileage and the way the car runs on the street?

Ohh yeahh! City drivin mileage is gonna go down It's worth it though
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Look at my first post with the link to Yank. Ask for Dave. He will explain everything you need to know about how they work etc etc. And yes, I would def look into the SS3600 and gas mileage will be effected some what.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

LMAO!! I'm in no rush bro. Whenever you get a chance..damn, a little heads up next time on the kegger at your pad! Especially since I've got Irish blood in me Remember the last drunk messaging you sent me after a long night of drinking?? I look forward to another one that shi* was hilarious!
Hahahah yes I do remember that. Looks like Im sending you a new PM this weekend! lol

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28SS

It may be or it may not be, depends on what your looking for and whatnot. Here's a thread that will help you understand how a stall works, it is very helpful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

I will post some videos on here later so you can get an idea how the 3600 drives. May be too much for what your looking for or just right so I'll post them to help you get a better idea. City driving will go down a little but I think I lost more from the gear swap than I did the converter. Highway wont be affected any.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

Got my beer goggles on and ready to read
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to Yank stall in my 99 TT. I have vig 2800 in my 96z with no complaints,combined with 3.42 gears. But wanted that car which is technically the wife's car to be super streetable and it is with that combo. The vig also stall a bit lower than rating so would think its more like a 3000 stall now. Keep in mind that mods especially the big power mods like nitrous can pull the stall up quite a bit more.

It can't hurt to talk to Dave at Yank and get his opinion with your current and future plans.

Stall is one of the best mods you can do for an auto car. Keep in mind too high a stall and you will likely need to be driving around on nitto drag radials to be able to hook it up. Also depends what gear you will be running. More track use..3.73 are common choice. More street 3.42 or 3.23 are pretty good choices..2.73 just pretty much suck but could work ok with a higher stall like that 3600 I guess. 3.42 are so cheap they are almost free. M6 guys practically give their 3.42 away for free thats how I got mine.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Ok here we go with some videos...Yank SS3600 Stall and 3.73's in my LT1 when it was cam-only:

Video 1: Here's is normal acceleration from a stop. As you can see the car drives pretty much like stock just a little more rpm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5buSpRFirmM

Video 2: Here's a quick 1st-2nd stab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0FtFVvlGmU

Video 3: Here's some driving down the road, accelerating from a light with moderate throttle and a quick stab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsW9wOsbQ4s

Video 4: Locked-up like you had the stock stall converter. Only difference from stock is the rpm's from the 3.73's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dobI1HKUQIU

And here we have a track vid showing how hard this **** launches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgoE1...e=channel_page

^^The car had some serious tuning issues (shifting at 6900rpm when supposed to be 500rpm lower) so the track times are very poor but the launches are unaffected. 1.69 60's full weight with M/T Et Streets on salad shooters.

In conclusion....The Yank SS3600 drives nearly stock UNTIL you lay your foot into it. You can either feel the stall or not depending on how much you press the gas when accelerating. I personally feel it constantly and love it but I have a heavier foot than most from a stop light. Up hills you will know its there but once it locks-up its just like any other car. It performs well on and off the track and is a blast to drive!

Last edited by StealthFormula; 02-26-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hahahah yes I do remember that. Looks like Im sending you a new PM this weekend! lol

It may be or it may not be, depends on what your looking for and whatnot. Here's a thread that will help you understand how a stall works, it is very helpful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

I will post some videos on here later so you can get an idea how the 3600 drives. May be too much for what your looking for or just right so I'll post them to help you get a better idea. City driving will go down a little but I think I lost more from the gear swap than I did the converter. Highway wont be affected any.

Ok well i finally think i know how a Stall works its almost like having a clutch. it slips up to the rated stall speed then locks the driveline fully if im not mistaken. so this would allow me to hold the brake at the line and get my RPMs so i can launch off the line instead of going from idle
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Yank SS 3600 is going on 5 years old. I hardly notice it until I nail it from a roll. Man, does that put a grin on my face

Quick Reply: What Stall?