LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

does this mean my headlight motors are shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this mean my headlight motors are shot?

I bought my 93 T/A and pulled it in the garage and started tearing it down without ever using the headlights, so i dont know how they acted before. I got my stripped down factory accesory harness back in the car today and working. When I flip the headlights on and they come up fine, but when i click them of and they go down, the motors just keep spinning and clicking.

Someone said this means the teetch are stripped on the gear inside the motor and inside of stopping when the headlights bottom out the teeth are striped and the gears just keep spinning

can anyone confirm this
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
I bought my 93 T/A and pulled it in the garage and started tearing it down without ever using the headlights, so i dont know how they acted before. I got my stripped down factory accesory harness back in the car today and working. When I flip the headlights on and they come up fine, but when i click them of and they go down, the motors just keep spinning and clicking.

Someone said this means the teetch are stripped on the gear inside the motor and inside of stopping when the headlights bottom out the teeth are striped and the gears just keep spinning

can anyone confirm this
yep, they are stripped. you can either buy a new motor, or flip the gear inside the headlight
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you explain what you mean about flipping the gear inside the headlight. any idea how much new motors run?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the circular gear only gets wear on one side (half) of it's teeth. You can re-orient the gear so it uses the remaining (un-used) teeth, or you can buy metal replacement gears if they have already been flipped.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone had a set of bronze gears in the FS section not long ago
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Launching!

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

check out that link. shows you how to flip the gear 180*. did this on my trans am when they started grinding like you mentioned.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Try the "HELP" section

For new plastic gears (vs. bronze), try the "HELP" section at the local auto parts store - that's where I got mine.

The write-up on Brent Franker's Z28 page is very good too, his stuff is ALL good; but I used black silicone (cured over night) vs. epoxy, so if I ever need to get into them again, I can.

Originally Posted by DriftR
the circular gear only gets wear on one side (half) of it's teeth. You can re-orient the gear so it uses the remaining (un-used) teeth, or you can buy metal replacement gears if they have already been flipped.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

flipped my gears 180 and they just grind going up now instead. heading to the junkyeard tomorrow see if i can score some cheap motors
Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
flipped my gears 180 and they just grind going up now instead. heading to the junkyeard tomorrow see if i can score some cheap motors
I did that too. They used to grind on the way up, but now all of a sudden neither of the lights go up and there is no grinding?

Does this mean the motors went out, or are the gears fully stripped?