LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pump bucket

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fuel pump bucket

I am in the process of replacing my fuel pump and i dont know what to do with this thing. The new pump I am using (which is a factory pump) will not fit in to the seal in the bottom of the bucket. For that reason, I cant make the lid stay on because i broke one of the tabs, but I dont think it would stay together even if i hadn't broken it. Its not a tight fit and the seal at the bottom is resisting too much.

One of my friends is suggesting that I just delete the bucket so the pump will run cooler, but i cant even figure out a good way to do that. What do i do with the vents on the bucket lid? I know that risks overheating the pump if i run low, but i can handle not running my tank low on gas. i only drive 2k miles a year.

My biggest concern is that whatever I put back in actually stays together. I am afraid to use glue or zipties when this thing will be submerged in fuel. Everything i have come up with so far looks like its gonna come apart and strand me somewhere. Help please?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
I am in the process of replacing my fuel pump and i dont know what to do with this thing. The new pump I am using (which is a factory pump) will not fit in to the seal in the bottom of the bucket. For that reason, I cant make the lid stay on because i broke one of the tabs, but I dont think it would stay together even if i hadn't broken it. Its not a tight fit and the seal at the bottom is resisting too much.

One of my friends is suggesting that I just delete the bucket so the pump will run cooler, but i cant even figure out a good way to do that. What do i do with the vents on the bucket lid? I know that risks overheating the pump if i run low, but i can handle not running my tank low on gas. i only drive 2k miles a year.

My biggest concern is that whatever I put back in actually stays together. I am afraid to use glue or zipties when this thing will be submerged in fuel. Everything i have come up with so far looks like its gonna come apart and strand me somewhere. Help please?
The solutions for your issue are simple. I just did this on a buddies car this past weekend.

If you are reinstalling a factory pump (why not upgrade to a Walbro 255, especially with your setup?), then it should be fairly simple. Lube up the bottom of the pump and push HARD - the pump will eventually seat into the bottom and into place. If you opt to install a Walbro, you'll need to grind down the ribs on the inside of the pump to get it to seat entirely.

And your friend is wrong - deleting the bucket will cause the pump to run HOTTER. The purpose of the bucket is to keep the pump constantly submerged in fuel, not just for low fuel levels but cornering AND braking as well. The bucket is always full of fuel as long as the pump is running. If you remove it, when the fuel level gets low (or you take a hard corner), the pump will be exposed to air and moisture which will rapidly decrease the life of the pump, not to mention increase failure due to heat.

Once you have the pump seated all the way in the bucket, use fuel-safe cyanoacrylate and piano wire (stainless) to safety the lid to the bucket (Don't just rely on the glue - the wire is extra insurance). Drill a small hole in the bucket near the top and in the lid and twist the wire together. Do this in 2 or three spots.

Any other questions, just ask. Hope this helps.

BTW - Did you drop the fuel tank or cut the hatch?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must use the bucket to keep the pump from burning up. I used a product called Seal All....it's oil/fuel resistant and similiar to glue...you should be able to find it in a hardware store.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not know a bucket was a must, i had heard 98 f-bodies didnt even come with them.

The reason I have not upgraded to a walbro is because the stock one has worked fine for me and I was given this new stock one for free. Money is tight for me right now, id like to drive the car in the spring though.

where do i get cyanoacrylate and piano wire? is this what a dealership would use? I have heard of problems with seal all.

I am also afraid to press hard on the bucket. Its brittle from being submerged for 15 years (why the tab on the bucket lid broke) Is there any other lubricant you would suggest to help get it into the gromet?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

A good o-ring lubricant is silicone grease, usually called Plumber's Grease and sold at most hardware stores.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any auto parts store should have fuel safe epoxy (should be in a fuel tank repair kit, although I am sure there are plenty others available on the shelf).

My buddies car is also 15 years old. Just be smart when pushing on it - it should slip in. Any type of silicone-based grease should work (only a small amount is needed) as it will dissolve in the fuel. I have also done the install on my car and 3 other LT1 cars.

Piano or tie wire can be found in any hardware store.

I am fairly positive that the 98+ F-bodies don a fuel pump bucket of some sort, comparable to us LT1s.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, my 98 Formula has a similar fuel pump bucket.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW: The racetronix 255 kit comes with the epoxy you need to repair a bucket.
Just don't get it on your fingers.... that crap is a pain to get off. Trust me ...
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright ill hit the auto parts / hardware store up tommorrow and see what i can do. thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem I have is what to do to replace the "sock" at the bottom of the bucket, mine ripped when I took it out of the tank.....
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

**** Epoxy..Band Clamps worked for me when I replaced a Stock Pump, then installed my Walbro 255..

I'd love to see this thing fall apart..that and it's easy to take apart to switch Pumps.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

You can get most of what you need right here, sox, clamps, etc.:
http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/index.html
They answer the phone, too.
Best of luck.

Quick Reply: fuel pump bucket