LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil pressure drops, starving the motor, restriciting plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure drops, starving the motor, restriciting plug

So yeah i spoke with the machinist that built my motor and they said my oil pump is good since it is getting good oil pressure until it warms up and it's only doing it under hard acceleration. I have oil that actually comes out my filter on the valve cover so it is definitly getting oil to the top but they are thinking that it is sucking the pump dry momentarily. So they stated that I should run an xtra quart of oil to see if this takes care of it and then if it does than I need to install a restrictor plug that goes in the back of the block. Has anyone else had to do this. I'm spinning it upto 6900rpm. Also on the LT1 does the oil pump just attach right to the block or does it have that whole O-ring seal going on. They have had hundreds of motors go out since my build and cant recall if mine was setup this way or not but they said if it has the o-ring and it was bad that I would not get pressure at all and if so for a split second! Thanks any info would be great
Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

there is no o-ring on any LT1 oil pumps that I have touched, just a machined surface. If they installed a high volume pump then it could possibly suck the pan dry but it could also be as simple as a pickup tube falling off or not being setup for the correct clearance to the bottom of the pan. Pickup tube falling off is pretty common, I've had it happen.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
So yeah i spoke with the machinist that built my motor and they said my oil pump is good since it is getting good oil pressure until it warms up and it's only doing it under hard acceleration. I have oil that actually comes out my filter on the valve cover so it is definitly getting oil to the top but they are thinking that it is sucking the pump dry momentarily. So they stated that I should run an xtra quart of oil to see if this takes care of it and then if it does than I need to install a restrictor plug that goes in the back of the block. Has anyone else had to do this. I'm spinning it upto 6900rpm. Also on the LT1 does the oil pump just attach right to the block or does it have that whole O-ring seal going on. They have had hundreds of motors go out since my build and cant recall if mine was setup this way or not but they said if it has the o-ring and it was bad that I would not get pressure at all and if so for a split second! Thanks any info would be great
I just went through the same thing when we took the oil pump out it look like the pick up line was coming lose and it might have been sucking air so I replaced every thing pump and pick up. went and picked up a high volume Meiding and I now have one hell of a lot of of oil and pressure.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garage_queen
there is no o-ring on any LT1 oil pumps that I have touched, just a machined surface. If they installed a high volume pump then it could possibly suck the pan dry but it could also be as simple as a pickup tube falling off or not being setup for the correct clearance to the bottom of the pan. Pickup tube falling off is pretty common, I've had it happen.
You are right there is no o-ring at all it is a machined surface.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have a melling 77 if I remember correctly! It the high volume but not a high pressure, they said that it was better than stock for sure and they a high pressure was out of the question unless it was a high hp motor. So no oring so that iliminates that. They pick up tube was welded on and they clearnanced with my stock pan. I was thinking about getting an after market pan so I could run more oil so maybe this would eliminate the sucking air issue. If the tube was off wouldn't the pressure be all jacked up off the get go? Thanks. It's just a big pain in the *** to take off the pain to find out that the pickup didn't fall off! Do you all think I could drain the oil and take a magnet to it to maybe her it draggin on the bottom. Does this like a decent idea?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

I confirmed my pickup came loose by using a magnet on the pan but your could just be loose or something so it's best to drop the pan and take a look. Welding the pickup on is not usually recommended since the pump is cast and the pickup is not. It's a difficult weld to get to stick.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The Melling 77 comes in standard or high volume. If you have a stock pan (please indicate), you should not run the HV pump and you should also not run an extra quart of oil. Oil being whipped by the crank will cause you even more trouble.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Launching!

I have a melling 77 if I remember correctly! It the high volume but not a high pressure, they said that it was better than stock for sure and they a high pressure was out of the question unless it was a high hp motor. So no oring so that iliminates that. They pick up tube was welded on and they clearnanced with my stock pan. I was thinking about getting an after market pan so I could run more oil so maybe this would eliminate the sucking air issue. If the tube was off wouldn't the pressure be all jacked up off the get go? Thanks. It's just a big pain in the *** to take off the pain to find out that the pickup didn't fall off! Do you all think I could drain the oil and take a magnet to it to maybe her it draggin on the bottom. Does this like a decent idea?
mine was welded to on one side. So this caused the pick up to angle to the direction of the weld. Pluse they did not get the pick up line all the way in the pump it self. The magnet might work if you can hear the pick up move over the magnet. but if it has not droped yet you will not hear a thing.

Last edited by stburgpete; 02-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I have the stock pan with a standard melling 77. they told me just run an xtra qt to see if that fixes the problem momentarily! They said if it does than that means I'm getting to much oil to the top at once and that this would be a sign to install a restrictor in the rear of the block to cut down on some of the oil! The machinist said that it was tacked/welded on! How ever they did that I don't know. I mean it's got to be better than just pushed on or how ever the are installed. I just dropped of my short block and got it back. They told me that they will fix anything that is wrong with it but to try a few things first!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else????
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Invest in an aftermarket 7qt oilpan of your choice, it may be a pain in the *** to remove the old one and replace it with a new one but it's way cheaper than having to rebuild your engine again.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoever told you to run a quart extra is a retard.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I have never heard of anyone with an LT1 having a problem with too much oil on the top end with a standard volume pump and certainly no one ever having to add any restriction. Are you positive it is not an HV pump. It is easy to tell the difference just by looking at them. An HV pump is much taller than the SV version.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

So do you all think I'm getting smoke blown up my ***? Is there a possibility that it is sucking the pan dry, what would cause this? Do you all honestly think that a deeper pan would be the way to go? I have another guy I had met here in Missouri and his daughter runs full sprint cars and he builds the engine himself for the past 15 years. He had mentioned to run an xtra qt as well as the machinist. Not all the time just to diagnose wether or not I'm starving the motor, from what I got from it. We all 3 discussed that you do not want the crank submerged in oil for sure. There has to be a reason for all of this! There is something missing here.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

If you have an HV pump it can run the pan low during extended high RPMs. You need to look and see what pump you have.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

I think it is a high volume standard pressure if that is correct!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is a high volume standard pressure if that is correct!
As stated if you are indeed running the HV pump and using a stock pan then you are most likely sucking that pan really low or dry spinning that high a RPM's. Do a seach as there is ton's of threads on this subject here and on other forums. Either switch to a standard volume pump or go with a larger pan, either way you're going to have to drop the pan for both of these so it's up to you.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Damn it, that's cool, I'm going to call the machinist to see exactly which one he put in there. Hopefully it was the HV so I know what my problems is. So with a bigger pan regardless using the HV pump I will need the Pickup readjusted then correct or is it bigger in the rear and the same depth up front???? thanks guys, I think I may have found my problem after all.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn it, that's cool, I'm going to call the machinist to see exactly which one he put in there. Hopefully it was the HV so I know what my problems is. So with a bigger pan regardless using the HV pump I will need the Pickup readjusted then correct or is it bigger in the rear and the same depth up front???? thanks guys, I think I may have found my problem after all.
If the pan you go with is deeper (if that is route you go) then yes you will need to adjust the depth/height of the pick up in the pan.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

So how many would just change back to a standard meeling pump rather than going with a melling HV and a bigger pan or should I go with a standard melling pump with a bigger pan. Just looking for options now because I do believe that it is a melling 77 HV pump

Quick Reply: oil pressure drops, starving the motor, restriciting plug