LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High idle problem, drill and tubing modded 58mm bbk IAC counts at zero???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High idle problem, drill and tubing modded 58mm bbk IAC counts at zero???

I admittedly do not have a cam. The buttwrench previous owner put this POS 58mm throttle body on, without headers either. I read a lot about the BBK's and the issue with the casting/iac and split blms, so I did the drill mod with an 11/64 hole while I had everything apart changing the alternator. I do have the tube sandwiched into the back of the throttle body to separate the IAC air from the plenum air.

Long story short, TTS Datamaster says my IAC count is at 0, my engine is trying to idle at 650 in Park (closed loop) it says my fuel trims are 16 (what is fuel trim?) and the TPS voltage is .63

actual rpms is motherfucking 1353, give or take! What is going on here? What should I check out? This **** is driving me up a wall. Vacuum leak maybe?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for info having the same problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Get a stocker and kick the 58mm to ebay
Old 04-21-2010, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

im thinking i just might need to. I'm going to leak test this thing tomorrow, I've got a pretty good hunch that there is a vacuum leak going on here. The tube on the pass side valve cover to the throttle body just pops right out with no effort, I haven't checked the PCV valve, the IAC may have had some solvent sprayed on it, and the previous owner looks to have drilled a hole in the intake elbow and just sort of stuck the opti vent tube in there to let it hang on loosely. Plenty of air getting in there. The brake booster line was all pinched and looked to have been replaced with non-vacuum line and no hose clamp. I'll get more on it tomorrow and let you all know what's up.
That IAC counts are zero with such a high idle, even when i load the stock tune, is indicative of a vacuum leak or a bad IAC right?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Get a stocker and kick the 58mm to ebay
A 58mm throttle body may not be beneficial on a stock motor however it should be able to be adjusted to run as well as stock regardless. Tons of people use them with no adverse effects. I would be hesitant to blame the throttle body while you addmittedly have unmetered air being sucked into the intake from potentially a few different areas. Fix the vacuum leaks then try and nail down your idle issues.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
A 58mm throttle body may not be beneficial on a stock motor however it should be able to be adjusted to run as well as stock regardless. Tons of people use them with no adverse effects. I would be hesitant to blame the throttle body while you addmittedly have unmetered air being sucked into the intake from potentially a few different areas. Fix the vacuum leaks then try and nail down your idle issues.
Yep. I got out there and started going over the car really critically and since i've started taking automotive classes really see what a ******** the previous owner was. Obviously it's not my strongest area, so I won't quit my dayjob as an artist. LOL fixing fucked up cars isn't my favorite. I was going to do full boltons and a cam but now i'm just kind of over it and want a 70-73 firebird or a 67-73 camaro.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the manufacturer's warranty on either of those models has long since expired You will undoubtedly be forced to wrench on those as well, don't get discouraged yet
Old 04-21-2010, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

I think the manufacturer's warranty on either of those models has long since expired You will undoubtedly be forced to wrench on those as well, don't get discouraged yet
ah yes but a money pit that appreciates in value seems to be a more sensible waste.

Anyhow, going to try a whole slew of **** tomorrow to get this thing running right. damnit it's 4am and i want waffles.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with the car...and with the waffles

Last edited by JB_97ws6TA; 04-21-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: because
Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

try adjusting the TPS voltage to .45 - .50
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Close the blades all the way and reset the TPS voltage to .50. and see if the IAC counts go up.

The IAC is fully closed and still cannot drop the idle, so there is a lot of extra air going in.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

I pulled the TB off again to check and there is gasoline all over the back of it. The blades are fully closed. Obviously the pcm is trying to correct, and if my understanding is correct, just pissing through fuel because of the high idle and the IAC unable to correct it. I exposed propane all over the areas where I suspected leaks and nothing changed. I ordered a new IAC just in case, and I will change the TPS voltage in a minute. If none of that works, I will assume that the 11/64ths hole I drilled is too big and plug it up with something. If that works, I'll just sell the TB to somebody with a cam and get a ported stocker, which will be nice when I do long tubes.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

No luck with the TPS at .45 volts, the IAC count is still ******* zero and the RPM is still ridiculous. For the record I did not have this problem until I drilled the hole. I followed the instructions exactly. I am about to pull it off and plug it and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

why did you drill the hole?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

No luck with the TPS at .45 volts, the IAC count is still ******* zero and the RPM is still ridiculous.
UPDATE!
I plugged that cunting hole that somebody told me to drill with jb weld and made it smooth again. I guess do not drill the motherfucking hole???? It works fine now. Idle at less than 1000 in park. I am going to buy a stock throttle body that's ported to 52mm and return the idle air controller valve I just bought. Can anybody explain why the hell the hole made this car do what it did? I'm interested to compare the casting to a stocker and see if my BBK is the same as the ones in the hole drilling tutorials.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

why did you drill the hole?
I was told it would smooth out the idle and eliminate split BLM's when I went with a cam later on.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mostly the only point of drilling the hole is when you have a cam it will take in more air and be able to idle easier before getting it tuned. there is absolutely NO reason to ever drill the hole bigger when you dont have a cam it will just suck in more air and make your car idle higher, hence what your car did.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2fast97Z
Mostly the only point of drilling the hole is when you have a cam it will take in more air and be able to idle easier before getting it tuned. there is absolutely NO reason to ever drill the hole bigger when you dont have a cam it will just suck in more air and make your car idle higher, hence what your car did.

I agree. I have a 93' ta, h/c/i. the cc306 cam, and on my holley 58mm. tb I had to drill a small hole in each blade to get the car to idle decent,and to get the split blm's alittle closer. but like this above, it didn't need drilled w/a stock cam.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I was under the understanding that because bbk cheaped out and used one casting for both the tbi and lt1 that the lt1 throttle body was lacking that hole that the stocker had, and drilling it with the same size hole as the stock unit would smooth the idle a bit with no ill effects. Actually heard of and confirmed with a few folks that if the hole's air was directed into that smaller hole on the intake, it would be a decent thing to do. Drill the hole dey sez...it'll run better dey sez. I sez dey full of ****... but hey you live and learn. I'm going to keep this tb but devise a better way to plug the hole, fabricate a removable part with replaceable ferrules and who knowsm maybe make a little cash selling them to people who change cams often or who don't want to worry about damaging their tb with the hole mod.

Quick Reply: High idle problem, drill and tubing modded 58mm bbk IAC counts at zero???