LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GM race shop block

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
You were interested on the first one that sold until you saw how much it sold for.
I was bidding on that one,lost out by a sniper at the last minute. I have absolutly no interest in this one. Hell the new owner is in the next town over from me .Money has never been an issue with building my LT1, political correctness has.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Ok guys. I figured that the only fair way to do this was to put it up on the big E. The auction starts later today. I personally really hope that it ends up in a car setting records.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey @ Clayton Racing
Ok guys. I figured that the only fair way to do this was to put it up on the big E. The auction starts later today. I personally really hope that it ends up in a car setting records.
My question is why did Scoggin D. tell me two months ago they did not have one and you buy one from them after that?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

I have no idea.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

My question is why did Scoggin D. tell me two months ago they did not have one and you buy one from them after that?

You should have addressed yourself as "Tony @ Shepherd Racing"
Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Is this a different one or the one that was sold on ebay before ?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

different. it is serial number 006
Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Not sure what the price would be though. We would need Scoggin Dickey to step up and take the pre-orders for GM. When the minimal amount is reached...GM can then place the order for them to be built.
Go ahead caller....I'm listening
Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The problem is that sometimes they magically become avail and sometimes they don't. Honestly it is a daily thing where one day it is there, the next it is not. OR if we do not get ahold of the same person at said station/warehouse, then it becomes an issue for us to get the right info as well.

To my knowledge, they are all gone, but that was as of sometime last week. It could have changed, or we may get some new info in a few days/weeks/months but that is a long shot.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

What needs to be done for GM to have these built? Is is feasible?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
What needs to be done for GM to have these built? Is is feasible?
Same questions here. We know they have the molds to make it possible, but how can we give them a kick in the right direction?

I would much rather know a set price to aim for then sell my kidney in a bidding war with the big dogs.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am trying to find out what would need to be done. I am sure it will be a long complicated process and the problem is, to get it started back up again would more than likely be cost prohibitive for alot of people. And by people I also mean people at GM. It is not just like the foundry will pull the castings/tooling/etc from their spare pile and put them back into rotation. I will try to keep an eye and ear on this as much as I can, but there are NO promises and NO guarantees, and surely no stable time frame.

I will give info as soon as I get it. I know that I will get pms and calls and posts on here bugging me, and I am by no means ignoring anyone, but I will say right now, it will take a while. With GM still being in the valley and not on the mountain, it will be harder to make anything happen. They do not care if they make some money on these blocks. It takes alot of time/effort/money on just their part to even look into anything like this again.

So far, alot of excuses, now down to business. IF in fact this can be done, it will prob be a shaky project just like what Dart did. This means, of course, a process of pre-pay/pre-orders. I am not sure what the quota will be set at, but for people promising 20 block buys, make sure you have enough set aside in time and money for all 20.

If this goes through and then all of a sudden people back out (no offense) it will give all the people involved a VERY bad taste in their mouth again. I know some reasons may be very well founded, but business is business.

I have already started trying get the ball rolling. PM/email me with any contact info you have so maybe I can get to the right people quicker. Thanks.
jginter@sdparts.com
Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Go ahead caller....I'm listening
PM sent
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have already started trying get the ball rolling.

That's good to hear. Keep us updated.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

pm sent
Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Pms recieved and info taken! Ill see what SD/ I can do to get something done. I will let yall know either way.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
FormerVendor

here is the auction # 250639601119 for anybody that is interested.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
8 Second Club

Pms recieved and info taken! Ill see what SD/ I can do to get something done. I will let yall know either way.
Thank you and keep me posted. Hopefully the info I gave you will help out.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Sponsor

Thank you and keep me posted. Hopefully the info I gave you will help out.
LT Bowtie Blocks --- The Truth and a Little History
These blocks were cast during a time at GM Racing when "Pet Projects" and "Great Ideas" were given green lights without any hesitation! I spent almost 4-days of every month in Michigan at GM Racing and GM Performance Product Planning Meetings during this time (1992 thru 1999). On a side note it must be understood that GM Parts, GM Performance Parts, and GM Racing are THREE separate entities with THREE spearate agendas, THREE separate management teams --- some items cross over some do not! I personally brought the topic of the LT Bowtie block to the table at some point during this time to the GM Performance Team. As we looked into the LT block there where several issues that came up during this time related to castings and the current maching center for OEM LT blocks! We knew a new engine was coming (LS) and we were also aware of some discussion concerning the Flint V8 Engine Plant (where all LT engines were built and all Small Block Chevrolet engines since about 1965!!) -- it was in need of some serious upgrades and eventually they closed the plant (very sad day!). While all of this was taking place the GM Performance Team elected not to pursue the project because of some tooling and machining issues that they felt could not be resolved without spending some serious cash --- as I recall the original tooling was located at Saginaw Grey Iron and was designed for their foundry and as such it was designed for pouring large quantities for GM! They had no interest in making short runs with this tooling to make a "Bowtie" block.
A member of the GM Race Team had a "Pet Project"! He wanted the block done for several reasons that involved not only some upper level management thought processes (one was a 400ci LT4 option for the 1996 Corvette); GM Racing was heavily invclved in the Corvette Showroom stock racing (and other Race Series) -- the block could be of great benefit to these teams, but he had a personal LT project and he would make sure the initial engineering was pushed thru! He worked with the foundry that was pouring the SBC Bowtie blocks to make temporary tooling for a short run. I am almost certain that a friend of mine at Uni-Bore machined the castings (Uni-Bore machined all Bowtie blocks at this time -- that is no longer true today).
There was one 400ci LT4 Corvette built -- I saw the car and drove the car! It had a really cool "400/LT4" emblem.
A couple of blocks made it into the hands of Corvette race teams.
A few went to the Jon Moss group for Chevrolet Special Vehicles.
One block was given to a team member that helped build the 400ci Vette.
The remaining blocks were sent to the GM Racing warehouse.
Things began to unravel fast! This team member was moved to a different group in GM. The GM Performance manager moved to a different area and the new manager wanted all new projects to be focused around the new LS platform. Soon all was forgotten about this project!
I personally kept an eye on these blocks during all these years and tried to buy them on numerous occasions.
Tony, you mentioned my good friend in a PM -- Bob Cross from GM Racing -- he was involved with the castings and machining however it was not his "Pet Project". After years of my begging, Bob saved these blocks from being scrapped and arranged for me to buy them! I knew that crazy LT gearheads would appreciate the LT Bowtie block and it was my desire to make it happen. Little did they know it would be a piece of GM history! My friend (of 25-plus years) Bob Cross was killed in an auto accident earlier this month -- God bless Bob for all he did for me. SDPC, and the true spirit of Chevrolet racing enthusiasts. In one way or another almost every item in the GM Performance Parts catalog has some influence or touch from Bob Cross.
GM has no interest in making Bowtie LT blocks today -- PERIOD.
We have spoken to Dart and others before about this --- if I see enough interest we will carry this forward! It will take more than 40-blocks to get the ball rolling for a small case study to provide you with some decent info to make a decision --- mainly your cost.
Send your PM's to John!
If I see 50 requests (serious buyers) we will get some answers and together we can make a decision!

Nicky Fowler
SDPC -- The Boss!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Wait a second , I am going to Clayton racing after work today.. =)

Quick Reply: GM race shop block