LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 edit vs CATS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 edit vs CATS

Im looking for a good tuning software that is user friendly. Im ok with computers but not great so i need something that doesnt take a genus to figure out. Its not that i need to do it right now or anything or that im to cheap to pay someone to do it. Its just something that i want to learn how to do for now so i dont have to rely on someone to do it and trailoring my car to them because there is no one near me that will tune obd1. That and it is something i hope to do for a living someday. So if any of you guys can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Its just a learning curve, and something i have always wanted to do.

and i would also like to know what all i would need(Laptop, cables, ports, ext, ext) so any recommendations would be great too.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of the 2, Tunercats hands down.

However, tunerpro is free AND datalogs as well

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ger-tuner.html
Old 06-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use cats and freescan to log. you can start using it for $20,the cost of the deff file and use it as much as you like for 30 days, then pay the $70 regestration fee and have unlimited use.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it user friendly because like i said im not great with computers.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal bird
is it user friendly because like i said im not great with computers.
You are going to have to improve your skills. Tuning can be pretty involved if you make more than basic changes. There is a lot to know and learn. It will take some time.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, if you're not computer savvy, I would do plenty of reading.

The best way I've found to approaching creating aftermarket calibrations is to understand with as much detail as possible how the pcm works, and why it is doing what it its doing for a given set of conditions.

Most people who arent even that great with personal computers wont take the time to learn the inner workings of an engine management computer. Let alone the dynamics of the engine combustion process and how the two work together.

Not discouraging you at all, I think most people would benefit from better understanding how it all works and being able to make changes themselves. Most would rather leave that to someone who has the time to develop such knowledge and experience.

JMO
Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Tunercats website, you can print and read the ENTIRE user manual. I put it in a binder.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Great idea
Old 06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
You are going to have to improve your skills. Tuning can be pretty involved if you make more than basic changes. There is a lot to know and learn. It will take some time.
I'm not horrible with computers with all said I prolly know a good bit more than you average person. I'm just not the greatest I have to sit and look at what I'm doing for a while before it clicks to me. What do I need to print off and what all do I need software and cable wise (links please). And what amout of memory on a laptop will I need. And thanks by the way for the info. It helps out alot.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

If you go to each ( tunercat and lt1edit ) website, they state on there the minimum requirements to run their programs, the cables to use and even where to buy them. I don't remember exactly what they are right now, but you can just as easily look it up as I can......
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal bird
I'm not horrible with computers with all said I prolly know a good bit more than you average person. I'm just not the greatest I have to sit and look at what I'm doing for a while before it clicks to me. What do I need to print off and what all do I need software and cable wise (links please). And what amout of memory on a laptop will I need. And thanks by the way for the info. It helps out alot.
It really doesn't matter if you are good with computers at all. It has WAY more to do with how you understand what each table does to each engine function. Every table within the computer has a purpose. The more you understand what each table does, and how changes you make to each table effect the output the better you will be. Can you tune a carb? Don't think for a second that it isn't related. If you understand the concept of re-jetting a carb to lean/richen the mixture then you can apply the same knowledge to the tuner software to alter the mixture. When you are tuning a car that has a healthy cam, do you want to bring the timing curve in earlier or later? What amount of total timing do you want to run? These are basic engine parameters that old school people know the answer to and they will adapt to new style software better than someone who is green. Some of the stuff is self-explainitory when you go to the table, ie: rear gear ratio, tire diameter and crap like that. But some of the tables will have you scratching your head as to what their purpose is. You do not need to alter EVERY table when you tune a car, but the more knowledge you have of what every table does the better you tunes will be, especially in the driveability dept.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joelster
It really doesn't matter if you are good with computers at all. It has WAY more to do with how you understand what each table does to each engine function. Every table within the computer has a purpose. The more you understand what each table does, and how changes you make to each table effect the output the better you will be. Can you tune a carb? Don't think for a second that it isn't related. If you understand the concept of re-jetting a carb to lean/richen the mixture then you can apply the same knowledge to the tuner software to alter the mixture. When you are tuning a car that has a healthy cam, do you want to bring the timing curve in earlier or later? What amount of total timing do you want to run? These are basic engine parameters that old school people know the answer to and they will adapt to new style software better than someone who is green. Some of the stuff is self-explainitory when you go to the table, ie: rear gear ratio, tire diameter and crap like that. But some of the tables will have you scratching your head as to what their purpose is. You do not need to alter EVERY table when you tune a car, but the more knowledge you have of what every table does the better you tunes will be, especially in the driveability dept.
i know nothing about tuning my car. thats what im saying i want to learn and i wanted to know what software is more user friendly and easy to comprehend.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Will there ever be a low cost/free tuner for OBD2?!?

Everybody makes these for OBD1 but never for the newer LT1s.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWHO

that why i like my obd1
Old 06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just convert, its very cheap.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gregrob
Just convert, its very cheap.
I could very easily, but if I get deep into mods and then have to revert back to OBD2 for emissions then I am going to have some problems.

Is there a way around THAT??
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

I could very easily, but if I get deep into mods and then have to revert back to OBD2 for emissions then I am going to have some problems.

Is there a way around THAT??

move to a county that doesn't require emissions
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

So tunercats it is
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I have no working experience with either program yet, but from all the reading I have done, the impression I got is that tunercat is easier to work with but lt1 edit gets more in depth.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

LT1 edit does not set more in depth in my experience. If anything its just the opposite

Quick Reply: LT1 edit vs CATS