LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Jet DST Tutorial?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet DST Tutorial?

Just bought JET DST for my 96 Camaro z28. Are there any websites out there that give a good tutorial or guideline on how to use Jet very well?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

http://www.monodax.com/forums/
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Just checked out monodax, they don't seem to have a tutorial or a guideline on what tables to tune.

From what I've gathered so far from reading around, you first start out with:
Tune out EGR/Air system if deleted
When fans kick on for Low and High/based on temp and mph
Change Fuel injector sizes if they are not stock
Add 2 degrees of spark across the table (but they did not mention what table. Maybe RPM vs. Map table I believe.)
closed TPS spark advance ( Would that be the Spark Advance vs. Load vs. RPM vs. Open Throttle Table?)

I just want to get down and know exactly what tables I would need to learn about and fine tune.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wish that I could further help you... but I never bought the jet dst because the only support out there is the link I posted! Was not impressed to say the least...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Ugh the only support?!?!?! I didn't want to buy LT1 edit since it was so expensive and its locked to one vin, it didn't seem like the right buy for it.

Well I ran into a problem, it would not even read the pcm or my scanner tool would not work through the DST wire even though ppl do use it and works.
I think I got a faulty DST wire/package ლ(¯ロ¯ლ)

I sent Jet an email hopefully there customer support is friendly and good.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kaganader
Ugh the only support?!?!?! I didn't want to buy LT1 edit since it was so expensive and its locked to one vin, it didn't seem like the right buy for it.

Well I ran into a problem, it would not even read the pcm or my scanner tool would not work through the DST wire even though ppl do use it and works.
I think I got a faulty DST wire/package ლ(¯ロ¯ლ)

I sent Jet an email hopefully there customer support is friendly and good.
Yes the only support... Lt1 edit has virtually no support aswell... ur taking my last post the wrong way. There is only two scan software programs that work thru the dst wire(that I know of)... one is mxscan wich is not guranteed and the other I cant remember lol! youll have to search it.

edit* I found it http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/scan_software.htm

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-23-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

MXScan is no longer available:

http://www.moates.net/search.php?key...earch=products

ECM-PRO is the only other software (that I know of) that is compatible with the Jet DST cable. It's a little pricey (IMO) but I also haven't used it so my opinion doesn't really count

http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/scan_software.htm

There are other options out there if you want to use another cable. Just be sure to ask if they support things like MAF Frequency (Hz) and Knock Retard.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Yes the only support... Lt1 edit has virtually no support aswell... ur taking my last post the wrong way. There is only two scan software programs that work thru the dst wire(that I know of)... one is mxscan wich is not guranteed and the other I cant remember lol! youll have to search it.

edit* I found it http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/scan_software.htm
Yep thats the scanner I have!
Just my DST cable is not communicating with my laptop for some reason right now... my laptop does not have a slot for a card nor a rs-232 port. I do not know if DST wire is compatible with a rs-232 to usb adapter but thats the only way I can connect it to my laptop :/
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

I would check for drivers for the USB-RS232 adapter.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use the key span 19hs adapter, works good for me...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xBRadX
I would check for drivers for the USB-RS232 adapter.
I did, at first the adapter would not connect with the drivers supplied with it, so I found one online. Installed quickly and the adapter shows in the Device Manager now.
I might just give John at Jet a call from the # on the box just in case.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

One problem I had with JET and newer laptops is that the JET software only recognizes COM ports 1-8, most newer laptop run com ports much higher. If it recognizes the USB adapter go into you Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and I believe it'll either be under COMports or USB ( I don't have my tuning laptop in front of me but if you have issues I'll dig it out ) and you should be able to set the com port to a number between 1 and 8 and then under assign the match it in JET. I'll edit this later when I get to looking at it.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for your timing tables, in tunerpro and tunercats for obd1 i change timing tables in:
main spark advance vs. rpm vs map

and also in:
extended spark advance vs. rpm vs map
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Heres what I got in Jet DST for Spark Tables.

I don't see any that have a RPM vs Map table in it. Maybe its labelled as something else in Jet compared to Tunercat for OBD1?
Attached Thumbnails Jet DST Tutorial?-spark-tables.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ClovisAutoMotion
One problem I had with JET and newer laptops is that the JET software only recognizes COM ports 1-8, most newer laptop run com ports much higher. If it recognizes the USB adapter go into you Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and I believe it'll either be under COMports or USB ( I don't have my tuning laptop in front of me but if you have issues I'll dig it out ) and you should be able to set the com port to a number between 1 and 8 and then under assign the match it in JET. I'll edit this later when I get to looking at it.
Thanks for taking a look, I followed what Jet had to say (which was almost like what you said) to check the ports, make sure the drivers are installed, it shows in the device manager. But then I got a Hardware error from DST tuner so its actually a problem with the aldl wire (from what I guess since they have not respond with the attach picture showing the error I got)

But for tuning people say a few different tables to touch and tweak but I've not seen one table labelled exactly what they say they touched.

In Jet DST could they use different tables for tuning for the OBD2?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

The first two tables in under Spark are the primary tables you'll want to change for power and drivability. Spark Adv vs Load vs RPM. Low Octane being 400-4000, and High Octane is 4000-7000. The last two vertical columns 95 and 100 kpa are where your car will be under Wide Open Throttle. Simply Adding spark may not make any more power if the car doesnt have enough fuel, that's where having a wideband or a dyno comes in. If you need to add/subtract fuel during WOT, the Fuel/table P.E.%change to fuel/air ratio vs RPM is where you make.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ClovisAutoMotion
The first two tables in under Spark are the primary tables you'll want to change for power and drivability. Spark Adv vs Load vs RPM. Low Octane being 400-4000, and High Octane is 4000-7000. The last two vertical columns 95 and 100 kpa are where your car will be under Wide Open Throttle. Simply Adding spark may not make any more power if the car doesnt have enough fuel, that's where having a wideband or a dyno comes in. If you need to add/subtract fuel during WOT, the Fuel/table P.E.%change to fuel/air ratio vs RPM is where you make.
Thank you for a detailed answer. I've a AEM Uego wideband on its way being shipped right now.

In the picture I've open the Spark Advance vs. Load vs. RPM High octane (for spark) & Main Volumetric Efficiency vs. RPM vs. Map Table (For Fuel). I could not find a table called P.E% vs. AFR vs. RPM anywhere under the Fuel Tables.

This is being shown through a sample JEt file that comes with it since my ALDL wire seems to be defective and Jet wants me to return it.

i uploaded pics of both the table drop down menu and the Tables themselves I believe are the ones you are referring to.
Attached Thumbnails Jet DST Tutorial?-jetdst-tables.jpg   Jet DST Tutorial?-tables.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

you are just shooting in the dark until you get the correct definition file, all of the aforementioned tables will reveal themselves once you have the right one
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you go onto the monodax forums and go into the file exchange, download a stock file for the correct year/trans and start playing with that
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

You said you have a 96?

Did you pull that .bin file from you ecm using the JET Flash utility?

Now that I'm at my laptop the correct JET spark table names are Main spark Advance vs Map vs RPM and Extended Spark advance vs Map vs RPM. The %Change to Fuel table should be the 10th table down, which isn't listed in your picture. IF you downloaded that .bin from your PCM then you have a software/hardware issue that is corrupting the file and could lead to disaterous problems if you contiune.

Quick Reply: Jet DST Tutorial?