LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fresh install rocker adj issues

Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh install rocker adj issues

So the engine was totally stock before this. I installed a custom bring company cam, 15k mile ls6 lifters not ls7's. Original gmail ones, trickflow one piece chromoly pushrods 7.200 and crane energizer 1.6 nsa's with trickflow guideplates. Adjusted the valves properly the first time and set. 060 preload. Lifters were soaked in oil for a week. After 30 miles of driving I pulled the drivers valve cover to find all my rockers were just a bit looser than zero lash. So I set my preload again on that side and rotated the engine one revolution to find that they were just as loose again! I fired up the car expecting it wouldn't start but it still ran fine! Whats going on here???? I do have slight rocker noise initially and under light decelerate and accelerate. Heavier loads its fine. Oil pressure is normal. Please help
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry meant custom grind comp cam. Damn droid
Old 07-21-2011, 03:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you setting the polylocks properly?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Are you setting the polylocks properly?
Yawp.

Add your preload minus 1/16th of a turn, then tighten down the set screw as tight as you can. Then, turn the polylock AND set screw together the last 1/16th of a turn. I've never had a rocker come loose with this method.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Launching!

My personal preference is to set the rockers with 1/8 turn past zero, then start the motor and adjust while running for final setting. Put a long screwdriver on top of the polylock and listen while you loosen/tighten the nut and you will be able to hear when it just starts to go quiet. That's where I leave them. 12 years, no problems with rockers here.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like whatever procedure you are using you're not on the base/heel of the cam durring adjustment............do ur valves this way..........

when the exhaust valve is begining to open adjust you're intake valve..........when the intake valve is just starting to return from full lift adjust the exhaust valve.......

this procedure ensures that you ARE on the base circle (aka heel) of the cam lobe........there should be no need once so ever to adjust rockers with the engine running......this is an old school technique that is unecessary......

good luck!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Launching!

There are so many different lifter choices that require different preloads that I've found doing a final adjustment while running ensures I don't have too much preload on them. To each their own, find what works for you and go with it.

Try a quick search on preload and see how many different recommendations you get on on 1/2,1/4, 1/8, 1/16 of a turn past zero. Too tight can be just as bad as too loose.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by garage_queen
There are so many different lifter choices that require different preloads that I've found doing a final adjustment while running ensures I don't have too much preload on them. To each their own, find what works for you and go with it.

Try a quick search on preload and see how many different recommendations you get on on 1/2,1/4, 1/8, 1/16 of a turn past zero. Too tight can be just as bad as too loose.
many lifters do have different preload settings.........for instance LS7's you need to be in the .080 range while if u run the comp R's they are much less...........thats why different lifter manufactuers have different adjustment "turn past 0" procedures..........to tight can be worse than too loose...........

again follow the procedure i gave you for adjsting them........if you adjust them while running there is no percision in the adjustment its all sound and feel.........follow the reccomendation for your specific lifter and lash using the procedure i gave above to ensure you are on the heel of the cam lobe and you will never have an issue....

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's very likly you have them adjusted correctly, mine also seem a little sloppy after shutting engine down on certain cylinders once the lifters bleed down some, I adjusted mine engine running to zero lash and 3/4 turn. Doing great for nearly a year now...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i know i had them adjusted correctly. actually did it three times now, and pretty much doing it by the book as quik95lt1 stated the last two times, i am certain they are correct. the polylocks are holding strong. there is no up and down travel with the lifters after shutdown, but i can easily move them side to side. just scaring me about the lifters bleeding down so quickly and completely losing my preload after one revolution of the motor just seems odd. i guess im just used to non adjustable rocker setups and regular stamped steel adj rockers? from what i am told the slight rocker chatter i hear is a pretty usual sound with full roller rockers. a final insight from someone would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest your valvetrain sounds normal. If it sounds like a sewing machine you're good to go.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The engine shuts off the lifters will bleed down and there will be little to no preload so they will feel sloppy. Especially if you are turning the engine by hand and checking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fresh install rocker adj issues