LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my car blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my car blew up...

Alright, I don't know what the hell happened. I was coming home from a friends house and I accelerated a bit, to get up to speed. (I wasn't flooring it) Once I hit about 4 thousand RPM's, I heard a loud pop sucking noise. It kind of sounded like a blow off valve from a supra or something. The car shut off and I pulled over to the side. I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I looked under the car for any leaks or oil and there was nothing. Under the hood looked normal. So, I have no idea what happend. I'm thinking a header gasket, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible the motor blew? When I start the car it makes a noise, but it just sounds like I have a bad starter or something. Tick tick tick tick nothing...Just like that everytime. I had to leave my car where it was and I'm going to get it towed in the morning. If this is going to cost a lot of money, should I consider getting another car?

I would appreciate all the advice possible, thanks for the help.

-Jay
Old 10-06-2005, 12:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

wow... a loud pop and air noise huh?

that makes me stumped.... if that wasn't the senario and it was just that the car wasn't starting... i would check to see if the starter was getting power...

but the noise.... i dunno.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Launching!

sounds like a lifted head gasket to me
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lifted head gasket? What does that mean? Either way, this **** is probably going to be pretty damn expensive.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

I had my rotor come apart at speed on my opti-spark and it did the exact same thing. Car acted like it wanted to turn over but never did, checked everything visible under the hood and no damage so when I pulled off my opti and pulled it apart the rotor was at the bottom of the inside cover...I hope it's this simple.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, how can something like that happen? Did your car just turn off while you were driving? When I tried to start it, it would try to go, but then had a weird noise one time...Were you at around 4 thousand RPM's when it happened? Did it sound like a blow off valve type of thing?

Also, has anyone ever had a head gasket blow? What does it do and what does it sound like?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I guess this is better news. I went over to take another look at my car and I checked the coolant. It still had coolant in the radiatar and smelled normal. So, I doubt it's a head gasket. Although, I'm still really stumped on what it could be. I tried to start it again and it sounded like it was trying to start. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Hmm, how can something like that happen? Did your car just turn off while you were driving? When I tried to start it, it would try to go, but then had a weird noise one time...Were you at around 4 thousand RPM's when it happened? Did it sound like a blow off valve type of thing?

Also, has anyone ever had a head gasket blow? What does it do and what does it sound like?

You can't hear a head gasket blow.....I have also never seen a car die while driving from a head gasket instantly blowing! I can't think of what you could have heard however you just need to go through and start checking things!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the tow truck just came about 20mins ago to get my car. The mechanic is going to take a look at it. I'll let you guys know what it is.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

A header gasket wouldn't make your car shut off. That's why you gotta do stuff yourself man, some mechanics do things do your car that you have no idea about...I wonder what took him so long in the first place. The first thing that would come to my mind is the Opti-spark. Since it isn't starting again, and since it shut off. The Opti-sparks tend to give out more with the more HP we put in.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, but I didn't think the opti would make the car shut off. What is that about?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, but I didn't think the opti would make the car shut off. What is that about?
if the opti breaks, the car wont run at all. as far as the head gasket goes you should have checked your oil to see if it was foamy or if it looked like it had coolant in it. however i have never seen a car just die from a head gasket. i would check the opti.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

sucked a cat into the intake?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is the car? Have you had the codes run?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that 0wner, im sure its your opti, i was doing my drivers ed test 2 months after i got my car, and i turnd onto a street the limit was 45 i got up to 40 and SES pops on then check gauges and then boom, the car dies. It was my opti, lets hope thats all it is for you, so your car isnt gone from you to long. Good Luck GOd speed.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like M.S.O.S.F. Massively Shitty Opti Spark Failure

Probably a few hundred bucks in labor, plus the cost of the distributor (around $500). If you were close to me I'd do it for cheap, it's not really very hard at all.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the mechanic called me back and told me what the problem was. The timing chain broke. Is this a lot of labor. The book estimates 7 hours of labor. With everythihg he has to do (including the towing fee and oil change) I will have to spend about 700. Is it worth it, or no? You guys have to let me know quick, so I don't waste my money. Should I get it fixed by him, or take it else where?

Also, he said that these cars tend to bend valves. He said he already took one off to check it out and it was ok. That price is assuming the other side is alright...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the mechanic called me back and told me what the problem was. The timing chain broke. Is this a lot of labor. The book estimates 7 hours of labor. With everythihg he has to do (including the towing fee and oil change) I will have to spend about 700. Is it worth it, or no? You guys have to let me know quick, so I don't waste my money. Should I get it fixed by him, or take it else where?

Also, he said that these cars tend to bend valves. He said he already took one off to check it out and it was ok. That price is assuming the other side is alright...

The timing chain broke??? HOW?? Your car was perfectly fine up until you got the headers on right? This guy is ripping you off, majorly. Bending a valve? So what he's going to do randomly is take off your headers again, take off your heads and look at the valves? It's a little hard to just break a timing chain.

You should try to make him do it for free or you will report him to the BBB. The motor was fine until he touched it.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Teching In

The price is not totally out of line......If you broke a chain I doubt it bent a valve JMO
Old 10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the mechanic called me back and told me what the problem was. The timing chain broke.
AFAIK, that wouldn't make the noise you described. Lightly modded LT1's don't break chains unless they're put together wrong. You'd know that pretty early on after installing one.

Quick Reply: I think my car blew up...