LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 What rpm is over rev? How to change rev limter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 What rpm is over rev? How to change rev limter?

How high can my stock LT1 safely rev? Seems like she wants to go past the rev limit w/ the nos and I would like to test it out. Also, how do I re-program the rev limit? Can I stop by the dealership and have the tech 2 program run or will I have to buy one of those damn hypertech programmers?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

nos isnt going to make you have power at a higher rpm,you should leave your rev limiter at 5800 IMO,i have mine at 6500 in my pcm,but my 6al sets it at 5800 and my shift light is at 5600
Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Was actually looking to increase the rpms a bit to reduce the rpm drop after shifting. Kinda like closer gears. That and I like that higher rev sound.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt go over alot with stock.. sounds like ur on the way to blowing stuff up
Old 12-24-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stock rev limiter should be 6200. you dont want to rev any higher than that, trust me. you need to keep in mind that the more RPM you have the stress on internals is increased exponentially. and then you have nitrous adding more stress to things. Dont change it. before you know it you be dealing with bent pushrods or even worse a spun bearing or thrown rod. its not worth it. if you want to rev higher you should build it to do so. hell, its probably gonna blow even being pushed to the factory setting more than ocasionally.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
hell, its probably gonna blow even being pushed to the factory setting more than ocasionally.
i'm not so sure of this statement. i had a bolt-on car boosting 6 psi via a powerdyne sc and i constantly was tagging the 6,200 rpm rev limiter. 85k mile stock shortblock - i put 20,000 miles on the car completely abusing it every mile of the way. this was a FULL WEIGHT car that trapped 116 at the track with my non-driving *** behind the wheel. i never dynoed it, but it rolled out for a stockish lt1 only pushing 6 psi. it had every suspension part known to man on it, larger aftermarket wheels and literally 50lbs of crap in the car at all times.

i had an opti problem that caused intermittent misfire problems, my answer to that was matting the pedal until the car bounced the rev limiter enough times i felt it learned its lesson...this happened frequently.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

well first off the damn hypertech isnt going to do **** for your car.. its junk.. second if your running the stock cam... the fall off is around 5200 and isnt going to change much with nitrous... so you really have no reason to go any higher than 5800-6000... if you want the higher rev... then just get the gears to be safe about it... but the way your looking the motor wont last long at all...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k
i'm not so sure of this statement. i had a bolt-on car boosting 6 psi via a powerdyne sc and i constantly was tagging the 6,200 rpm rev limiter. 85k mile stock shortblock - i put 20,000 miles on the car completely abusing it every mile of the way. this was a FULL WEIGHT car that trapped 116 at the track with my non-driving *** behind the wheel. i never dynoed it, but it rolled out for a stockish lt1 only pushing 6 psi. it had every suspension part known to man on it, larger aftermarket wheels and literally 50lbs of crap in the car at all times.

i had an opti problem that caused intermittent misfire problems, my answer to that was matting the pedal until the car bounced the rev limiter enough times i felt it learned its lesson...this happened frequently.
consider yourself lucky. im also gonna guess you had a car that had the factory hardened pushrods if they took that abuse.

Originally Posted by harvickgm
well first off the damn hypertech isnt going to do **** for your car.. its junk.. second if your running the stock cam... the fall off is around 5200 and isnt going to change much with nitrous... so you really have no reason to go any higher than 5800-6000... if you want the higher rev... then just get the gears to be safe about it... but the way your looking the motor wont last long at all...
agree about the power band. this is double true if you still have stock manifolds. LT1s are REALLY choked up high until you get some headers.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i never got into the motor on that car...i know it was a stock bottom/head motor that hadn't been rebuilt. it was a 94...all i know is that i abused the dogshit out of it and nothing happened. i broke 2nd gear in the t56 (which required a SECOND REBUILD) so i sold the car shortly thereafter.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
consider yourself lucky. im also gonna guess you had a car that had the factory hardened pushrods if they took that abuse.

agree about the power band. this is double true if you still have stock manifolds. LT1s are REALLY choked up high until you get some headers.
yea really luckey... considering 6psi is already pushing the LT1 to its limit... and your pushing it to 6200.... that just sounds like a disaster... but then i have seen some run 8psi of boost with no problems and then some blow with only 5psi... its the luck of the draw...

but back on topic... even with headers... the powerband still drops but it does help some... the best way to fix that would be a new cam... just do it safe and rebuild when you have the time and money at hand... dont push a car if you dont have the money to fix it... but ifs its not the DD... the push it all the way...
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harvickgm
but back on topic... even with headers... the powerband still drops but it does help some... the best way to fix that would be a new cam...
What type of cam are you thinking?

I once reved my 96 past 6500 in 1st, I was manually shifting it will racing a c5 z06... opps! I was thankfull i didn't damage anything. The LT1 is a pretty sturdy motor. I am sure the cops beat the everliving crap out of it while it was in service for 103,000mi before I got it. I know for a fact the service them every 5,000mi. And they do leave them running during thier entire shift (have to keep their radios and computers powered), sitting watching people drive by and then floor it to chase someone.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Teching In

I can tell you the exact rpm the stock bottom end will take. I have a H/C 96 Vette, that the top end was built to take 7000 rpm. I made exactly 5 passes shifting at 6600 rpm with no valve float before I threw a rod through both sides of the oil pan. The PM rods don't like revs. Just shift at the 6000 rpm range and your motor will last a while (as long as you keep regular maintenance on it).

The good news is I now have an excuse to build the 383 stroker I was planning on. I will have it back faster than ever a couple of races into the 2007 Corvette Challenge Season.

Greg
Old 12-25-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

the powerband falls off at 5200rpm's with a stock setup.... so why go any further... you have lost so much power and a waste of gas... there is no reason to go any further unless you have done a cam swap and valvetrain to move your powerband..
Old 12-25-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the powerband does level off after 5200 rpm, but that doesnt mean i would shift there. The car still makes power above 5200 rpm its just not going to keep climbing. I have LTs on my car so it can breath and I usually aim for 5800 which usually results in a 6000 rpm shift, and it seems pretty happy there. Before I had LTs thoguh.... the only time I ever even BOTHERED going above 5200 was when i was racing. there absolutely no reason to go any higher it got so choked up there.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

yea, i know what you mean there... i just seemed to notice better results even with the LT's and exhaust 5500-5700 was more than enough....
Old 12-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

I'm running headers, into a 3" y which runs into a magnaflow single chamber muffler with two 2 1/2 inch pipes running into dumps right after the pass. rear seat. Exhaust is not a prob. I had an iroc with a 350 30 over, 510 lift cam, 11.0-1 compression, ported and polished vortec heads, port matched intake, dual exhaust that dumped right after the motor and a completely stock, rebuilt and balanced lower end. I did all the work myself exept machine work. Car went 6800 rpm forever with no probs before the third tweaked out 700r4 went. I know this LT1 is tight and from what people say, it's fairly stout. I have the $ to build a new one and am actually thinking of a LS1 transplant anyway. Thus, I want to heard this motor rev high and I'm going to hit it with a 125 horse shot the whole time. It's all about the thrill of the ride. Although, when I spray the motor the first time, it always starts sputtering about 5 grand in second. It only happens on the first shot and is fine with as much as I can throw at it after that. Sounds kinda like it's hitting the rev limit but too early for that and only happens once. Will not purging the system first have this effect? Cause it always clears up after the first shot.

Quick Reply: LT1 What rpm is over rev? How to change rev limter?