LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wanted: NASTY EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: NASTY EXHAUST

I have a modified 95' LT1... little bore, little stroke, little cammin' etc etc...

I'm running ported and bored stock manifolds with 4" pipe into a Flowmaster 40 series I believe and hollowed cat... It sounds fairly nasty and people like it, I think it sounds ok but I know I'm losing power and it just sounds like a low gut bubbling growl that makes everything shake and rattle.

I want true duals of some sort. I want to make babies cry and girls ruin their panties when it cranks up. I want it to sound NASTY. I want to hear that cam lope and that valve slamming shut. Sick raw power that will make me change my pants after I go for a ride. BUT, I wanna still be able to roll up the windows and carry on a conversation without screaming at the passenger next to me.

I'm capable of making boom tubes, which is what I'm thinking right now. But I'm afraid its gonna scream when the windows are down. Duals out the back and OVER the axle would be great, and guys that run under the axle, how do they turn out? Good bad???

I want suggestions, It hauls *** and I need it to sound like it so Ricers will leave me alone, I'm wasting all my tires on them to get away.

What muffler combo's? High flow cats? Headers? Etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

First step, if you want loud (and better performance) is to ditch those manifolds and put some long tube headers on there (with an ORY), then you can figure out the rest.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Do you want loud or do you want to have a conversation in the car? Really no way to have both in my opinion.

True duals that sound nasty at idle are going to scream at high RPMs.
I have 2 94 Z28s with 2 distinctly different exhaust setups.

The evil twin has Hooker LTs with purple horny header mufflers that end in turndowns just after the drivers seat. It sounds loud and nasty at idle and freaking screams at WOT.

The good twin has a unique exhaust setup, the custom Y pipe goes into a single flowmaster 40 series installed where the cat used to be and then straight pipe back to duals with stock tips. This is actually a really sweet sounding setup that while loud at WOT is very tolerable at a 70 mph cruise.

I think your going to have to compromise and try to get somewhere in the middle. Do alot of research and try to find soundclips of different setups.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go pacesetter LTs and buy my td's.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are turndowns before the axle horribly loud?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

And LOUD exhaust out the back ain't near as bad and LOUD exhaust under the seat.... Right? I get mixed oppinions
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

And I never said I wanted loud exhaust, just want the clearly hear the cam without a bunch of roaring
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, well how about LongTubes into a completly factory exhaust set-up to give me a completely quiet ride and then have Cutouts straight off the headers? Will this cause running problems?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 AM
12 Second Club

TD's would prolly be the best if you really want to be able to hear the cam, but its going to be really loud.... remember my setup with the cutout closed and open, it will be about inbetween the 2 with TD's unless you can get it done all the way out the back but that will be extra $$$
Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

i have longtubes into an h-pipe into 2 flowmasters going over the axle and down
dual cutouts after the h-pipe
you can hear the cam (and i just have a teensy weensy lt4 hot cam in it) with the cutouts closed and the car sounds great at WOT...has a ballsy tuned tone to it...
cutouts open is hell. i get headaches if i go WOT....and conversations are out of the question.
thats on my 79 so idk if this is feasible on 4th gen fbodies...

my advice? get some longtubes and slp loudmouth exhaust...they sound real nice and i know they fit on 4th gens...

if you wanna go true duals....just get a couple glasspacks.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll sell you my current setup, Ive been wanting to change it up anyway. Pacesetter longtubes, modded ORY(4" merge), 15" or so of 4" pipe to a dynomax bullet with a turndown right before the axle.

People love the sound of this car, its loud as hell WOT, but not bad for the driver as teh dump is on the pass. side. At idle, you can hear the cam plain as day. It thumps more than growls, untill you touch the gas.

PM me if your interested, I'll make you a good deal.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say true duals are the best sounding exhaust. I have shorties run 2 1/2 inch pipe to and x-pipe the three inch into bullets then have it dumbed before the rear.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Long tubes and X-pipe dumped under the car sounds grrrrrrrrreeaaat! I have it and it gets the attention like your saying you want. Double edged sword there though... everybody (including cops) will know your coming before your there so, no much stealth to it. Dumped under the car will create noise inside as well as outside. I angled my tips out instead of down and I have the car sound deadened for the stereo so, its not bad at all for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a exhaust shop that I've been talking to and he said he can take it all the way out the back with factory tips in the current stock position for $475. He said he can dump it before the axle for $300. Both are true duals, out the back is mandrel bent. Both include High Flow Cat and Bullet Muffler on each side. He's making me a pretty good deal with no mark up on parts. And he can get me headers for wholesale cost as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
12 Second Club

if he can do it out the back TD's for $475 go for it and tell him that he has a customer in me if i can get the same price lol because when i start putting stuff back on my car i want TD's this time
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need some headers first off. Put a stock or LS1 catback on with a single in, single out Magnaflow muffler with a single exit on the drivers side...sounds bad ***.

David
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Ok, well how about LongTubes into a completly factory exhaust set-up to give me a completely quiet ride and then have Cutouts straight off the headers? Will this cause running problems?
I think that's the best compromise right there unless you want all out all the time.

Quick Reply: Wanted: NASTY EXHAUST