LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

chugs,cuts-out only after 10min or so

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chugs,cuts-out only after 10min or so

Ok i pulled my plugs yesterday to regap them and ,only on the driver side , the plugs were dark as hell like it had been running rich.?!? i noticed the bung i had welded onto the pipe was so tall that only the very tip top of the sensor woas sticking threw the bung so i grinded the bung down,oh yeah (this was an aftermarket bung that was different than the other side),and the sensor was sticking into the pipe like it should .So i figured that where my cutting out and chugging was coming from.Well today it did the same exact thing. and this isnt revved up or seeing anykind of boost, this is normal driving maybe qtr throttle on the highway to work.It has been doing this for a while now and i am getting frustrated with it. Does this sound like a bad O2?Almost seems like it is going into closed loop and doing this,cuz it will run great then after being on the highway it goes to ****! I thought the O2's usually heat up pretty quickly and goes into closed loop.I would think this would happen rather quickly.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my O2 sensors were bad I could drive for 15 to 20 minutes before it started running like crap.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

really? i always thought they kicked in alot faster than that. well hopefully that is what is wrong.I think i am going to unplug that one and see how it does on the way home
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Naw, it takes awhile for the car to warm up enough to kick in the sensors. Could, possibly, be the MAF.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea it could be the MAF, Are you running a blow through setup or the MAF before the Turbo?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am running blow thru and on my way home after work today i unplugged the driver side o2 sensor to see if it was the culprit with horrible luck...it actually was worst and died on the highway. i plugged it back in and it ran better but just as bad as it did to start with. would a bad maf do this?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
i am running blow thru and on my way home after work today i unplugged the driver side o2 sensor to see if it was the culprit with horrible luck...it actually was worst and died on the highway. i plugged it back in and it ran better but just as bad as it did to start with. would a bad maf do this?
You even have any sort of datalogging program so you know what you are doing to your engine while boosting at all?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well yeah.....but like i stated before , i am not hitting any kinda boost going back and forth to work..but so far havent had the time to datalog it yet. i am thinking my maf might be the problem, but i dont get why only that one sides plugs were the only ones looking odd.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well yeah.....but like i stated before , i am not hitting any kinda boost going back and forth to work..but so far havent had the time to datalog it yet. i am thinking my maf might be the problem, but i dont get why only that one sides plugs were the only ones looking odd.
Might be able to pick up a spare at a junk yard and throw it on there to see if it fixes it?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats what i will probally do.I have ported ends on it and has been cleaned several times with carb cleaner so maybe they have something to do with it
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thats what i will probally do.I have ported ends on it and has been cleaned several times with carb cleaner so maybe they have something to do with it
You never clean a MAF with carb cleaner. You will ruin the wire running down the middle. Also, did you descreen it? Descreening it just makes it more dumb since it removes the straightness of how the air flows through the sensor.