LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want one of these bad. 40+ bolt on hp sounds nice.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates guys? I really would like to have one of these. It would be a great start to modding in the spring. I plan to add some Heads, Cam, SC and this would also be a nice addition.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Any updates guys? I really would like to have one of these. It would be a great start to modding in the spring. I plan to add some Heads, Cam, SC and this would also be a nice addition.
Soon as we get them back and the flow #s are where we want them, it will be the little things to take care of. Where to put the pvc, the vacuum lines, ext. Then it will be put up or shut up time for this thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GGPC
Soon as we get them back and the flow #s are where we want them, it will be the little things to take care of. Where to put the pvc, the vacuum lines, ext. Then it will be put up or shut up time for this thing.
Sweet, I cant wait guys! Im all jacked up about it!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger on my wallet!!!
Any news?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I'm getting an itchy trigger finger on my wallet!!!
Any news?
Me too - my shortblock is now totally complete and is just waiting on some AI 21* TFS heads and one of these puppies to sit on top of them .
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If really think whatever you came up with would sell. There are no options that most of us can afford. And after 15+ years of LT1's being out no one has made a decent intake for them. ******* sucks.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

We got the intakes back and they flow just about where we want them. It looks like the base model will flow 270-275cfm, which is plenty even for an LE2. It should be good on power up to 6500 rpm. The 'deluxe',if you want to call it that, flowed up to 303cfm. We were a little sloppy with the porting because there was a 11cfm difference between 2 of the runners. But thats an easy fix. From what we found, that one should be good on power up to 7000 rpm.

The base model on a stock/bolt-on car should average 12-18rwhp and 15-23rwtq based on our testing and analysis. The next model for the H/C of F/I is harder to pin down. There are a lot of different combos out there and it will be impossible to have #s for every one of them. I can see why some companies dont have detailed #s for the parts they sell. Its more of a guesstimation from a prior test. We can get this intake flowing to 300cfm. The average LT1 intake, that has been ported, is usually in the 260-270cfm range.

We have spoke to several places that have made sheet metal intakes comparable to the HSR and got some impressive #s. For example, an lt1 355 with 195cc afr heads and a custom grind cam(.568/.572 w/1.6s 232/238 dur. on a 110) out powered and out torqued the ported lt1 intake with an HSR comparable sheet metal intake by 14rwhp and 26rwtq by 6600 rpm. The HSR I believe will have more air velocity then the sheet metal because of the design.

Sorry we cant get dyno #s for a lot of setups but our funding is running a little thin. Most of the profit made from the l98 version has gone into the lt1 creation and testing. We are very close to making a 'commercial' model. Just little things now, the fit and finish. We are getting a 95 lt1 firebird in shortly. Its not in running condition but the owner told us its ours for whatever. I will get pics of the HSR on the engine followed with some final details.

Right now the base model is looking in the $5XX area, comparable with Edelbrocks do nothing LT4(and yes, we will have an option for lt4 heads). Hollys fuel rails will have to be used but we are looking into a way to re-use the lt1s fuel rails to save on money dished out.

Once again, sorry about the time this is taking. Our team only consists of 3 of us and we have run into all kinds of snags.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Were there any photos available yet?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Were there any photos available yet?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...sr-design.html
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I need an intake, I just bought ported heads...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is awesome this is coming out. If someone wanted something absolutely insane I could see welding the front provision for a TB closed and making the top plate into something like a tunnel ram with two 4150 or 4500 throttle bodies on top.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my intake is off my car right now. can you provide a height measurement from bottom of the intake to the top of the plenum.
well i hope you guys can make it! thanks for the innovation.

Last edited by taner; 01-14-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taner
my intake is off my car right now. can you provide a height measurement from bottom of the intake to the top of the plenum.
I dont have the exact # in front of me. I'll let you know when I get to the shop tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GGPC

Once again, sorry about the time this is taking. Our team only consists of 3 of us and we have run into all kinds of snags.

No need to be sorry... I'm stoked that you guy's are putting effort into the LT1/4 engine.

Take the time you need to do it right and bring us a killer intake. As I said before in previous posts, my money is yours when the finished product is ready. I'll be getting your highest level intake in the LT4 configuration and will do a before and after dyno on my car (my friend owns a shop/dyno). It should be a good baseline performance increase for a healthy H/C setup... oh BTW, 25,xxx miles on the car, nice fresh motor.

Thankyou for the update!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention... my current intake is a LT4 that has been extrude honed and worked by Arizona Speed & Marine, it also has a AS&M 54mm throttle body.

Regardless, I still believe your design with show significant gain over my current setup.

Question: How's the wet flow through this intake?

I plan on hitting it with a 150 wet shot (plate setup) pushed by a NANO system. Already have over $3000 in nitrous parts sitting in my house, just waiting on your intake to put it all together.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

So this should fit under a sunoco hood no problem right? This seems like an awesome intake... look forward for later news on it...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Houdini
Forgot to mention... my current intake is a LT4 that has been extrude honed and worked by Arizona Speed & Marine, it also has a AS&M 54mm throttle body.

Regardless, I still believe your design with show significant gain over my current setup.

Question: How's the wet flow through this intake?

I plan on hitting it with a 150 wet shot (plate setup) pushed by a NANO system. Already have over $3000 in nitrous parts sitting in my house, just waiting on your intake to put it all together.
I dont see a problem with a wet shot. Its something we will look into further though. We dont see a lot of nitrous. In this state if the cops catch you with it your car gets impounded.Kinda cuts down on it.

The HSR will give you a significant gain over a smaller, shorter runner intake. We've received a dozen dyno sheets and #s from shops that tested the HSR in its hay day back in 2003-2004 against several types of intakes such as super rams, mini rams, LT1 intakes and old TPIS setups. Difference being they were all on gen I's. One example that is most impressive:

350 block
AFR 190 heads
LT4 hot cam
SLP 1-3/4

Mini ram
Peak RWHP 303@6200 rpm
avg tq 285.8
avg hp 269.1

HSR
Peak RWHP 342@6400 rpm
avg tq 319
avg hp 300

The mini ram actually flows a little more then the LT1.Its almost an exact replica. We have used a few of the mini rams and are great bumps in
performance for gen Is. The LT1 conversion is a pita on gen Is, just a less expensive one then the mini ram. Both the HSR and Mini ram were in stock form. It seems in every test the HSR really shines over the mini ram or LT1 with a set of better flowing heads. The bigger increase in flow, the bigger increase in hp.

I wish the #s could have been better for the stock/bolt on cars. Seems like the stock heads really hold back the lt1s potential. They can only flow so much. The stock lt1s take advantage of the HSRs runner design and runner length more than anything else.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is GREAT to see you are getting so close!
How much would the Holley Fuel Rails add to the cost of the intake?
If they are higher flowing rails, look cleaner (the LT1 rails are kind of ugly), and we can still use the same injectors I would definitely pay the extra.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
This is GREAT to see you are getting so close!
How much would the Holley Fuel Rails add to the cost of the intake?
If they are higher flowing rails, look cleaner (the LT1 rails are kind of ugly), and we can still use the same injectors I would definitely pay the extra.
You can use your injectors. The Holley fuel rails and adapter kit run close to $250.00. Thats why we are trying to find a better way. The lt1 rails would work, its the the fuel crossover from rail to rail. Its too short for the HSR. We may need to also make a bracket for the rails if we can get use from the lt1s but it wouldn't look as clean.

The rails from Holley do look much better then the lt1s by far!

Quick Reply: New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s