LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes all the crap that could get in the way does so, lol! it is a street driven car! I wouldn't possibly think of removing the wipers. they are a must!

my measurement allows one to squeeze their fingers through the top. The option is their to keep wipers functional and modify the lower closeout piece under the cowl that creates our clearance issue.

I am an odd case, i would love to see how this performs on a combo like mine without rolling the dice on a new conversion. I think this would probably perform near the level at what is under the hood of my car, at a fraction of the price.

GGPC,
could you take another measurement. could you measure from the outside at the back of the intake to the centerline of the distributor hole. I will do the same on my intake. the dist. i run is not a conventional "round" or circular distributor, and wonder if it is tighter than what i currently have.

so someone with a stout 396 SR, pump gas motor with a healthy camshaft please buy this and try it out, lol!!! must have Jesel topend with heads that flow 305 cfm @ .600 lift

thanks!
taner
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
yes all the crap that could get in the way does so, lol! it is a street driven car! I wouldn't possibly think of removing the wipers. they are a must!

my measurement allows one to squeeze their fingers through the top. The option is their to keep wipers functional and modify the lower closeout piece under the cowl that creates our clearance issue.

I am an odd case, i would love to see how this performs on a combo like mine without rolling the dice on a new conversion. I think this would probably perform near the level at what is under the hood of my car, at a fraction of the price.

GGPC,
could you take another measurement. could you measure from the outside at the back of the intake to the centerline of the distributor hole. I will do the same on my intake. the dist. i run is not a conventional "round" or circular distributor, and wonder if it is tighter than what i currently have.

so someone with a stout 396 SR, pump gas motor with a healthy camshaft please buy this and try it out, lol!!! must have Jesel topend with heads that flow 305 cfm @ .600 lift

thanks!
taner
I plan on running it on my big HR 383 with AI ported 21* TFS heads which should flow around 300cfm based on their testing.

Cam is a bit over .6 lift and 24x duration on both sides. Hoping for nice numbers, but will not be testing on the LT1 intake first since it is a totally fresh shortblock.

As long as the price is cheaper then our current single plain options - which it looks like it is - and it performs better then a ported LT1 intake - which it looks like it does - I'm in!

I'm telling you, its a great time to be working on another LT1 build . Dart and TFS both have new heads, progress being made on a more simple way to run LS1 coils and PCM, more and more LT1 cam enhancements by LE and AI, and to top it off a more mainstream single plain conversion in the works...I get giddy thinking about it all .

This year is going to be big for the LT1 community, and I expect more and more fast cars to be coming out of the woodwork.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GGPC,

thanks!
taner
I'll get the measurement for you tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Puck
I plan on running it on my big HR 383 with AI ported 21* TFS heads which should flow around 300cfm based on their testing.

Cam is a bit over .6 lift and 24x duration on both sides. Hoping for nice numbers, but will not be testing on the LT1 intake first since it is a totally fresh shortblock.

As long as the price is cheaper then our current single plain options - which it looks like it is - and it performs better then a ported LT1 intake - which it looks like it does - I'm in!

I'm telling you, its a great time to be working on another LT1 build . Dart and TFS both have new heads, progress being made on a more simple way to run LS1 coils and PCM, more and more LT1 cam enhancements by LE and AI, and to top it off a more mainstream single plain conversion in the works...I get giddy thinking about it all .

This year is going to be big for the LT1 community, and I expect more and more fast cars to be coming out of the woodwork.
Speaking of a single plain, I have a old dyno archive comparing a HSR and a Holley SP. http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...age031229.html

Both intakes are stock. No porting.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GGPC
Speaking of a single plain, I have a old dyno archive comparing a HSR and a Holley SP. http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/winter01/dyno/dyno031229/webpage031229.html

Too bad they didn't show the TQ from 2000--3400 rpm.

I'm also interested in your Intake. Would like to know when will you have your intake so it will fit LT4 heads. I have a moded LT4 Vette with LT1 fuel lines, see sig.
Would you have any data comparisson of an LT4 intake and your HSR???
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Speaking of a single plain, I have a old dyno archive comparing a HSR and a Holley SP. http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...age031229.html

Very interesting tests
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vettef6
Too bad they didn't show the TQ from 2000--3400 rpm.

I'm also interested in your Intake. Would like to know when will you have your intake so it will fit LT4 heads. I have a moded LT4 Vette with LT1 fuel lines, see sig.
Would you have any data comparisson of an LT4 intake and your HSR???
Unfortunately, we don't have any tests with a LT4 intake. LT4 intakes just aren't used on gen1s. Neither are LT1s for that matter. The closest intake we have to both of those is a mini ram. Here's a picture of one:
http://www.tpis.com/catalogimages/Mini_Ram.JPG

This would be comparable to a ported lt1 intake flow for flow. That unit above is $900.00.

We will have a HSR to fit LT4 heads. That will be released a little later though.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

The L98 vettes, we had to shorten it a little more than we wanted to. They didnt have much room. Plus, all of the HSRs had to be air gaps so they could use their stock distributors. That was one of the selling points.
I didnt realize there were two threads one this. What about an LT1 Vette? Would the HSR fit under a raised hood like the toledo pro 2.75" raised center pictured below on the left? Would there be less work/cost involved and better numbers? I have a 95 LT1.

Thanks for supporting the LT1 community.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I didnt realize there were two threads one this. What about an LT1 Vette? Would the HSR fit under a raised hood like the toledo pro 2.75" raised center pictured below on the left? Would there be less work/cost involved and better numbers? I have a 95 LT1.

Thanks for supporting the LT1 community.
With a raised hood like the one you have there, no cutting would be involved to bring it down. You would have the full runner HSR. Yes it would cut the cost of it , a good chunk of it. I dont know what significance it would have with better #s. With the runners being slightly longer, a little more torque would be had. I dont know about hp. I do know in stock form it will run to 6500 rpm.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned

I finally found some 1/4 mile data comparing a ported LT1 intake and a HSR.
There was a guy,sig name was 12 SEC SS on ISSF, who replaced his ported lt1 intake with a custom HSR. His setup was a 383 with a 847 cam. He picked up 3mph and .4 tenths of a second over the ported lt1. He was pushing over 450rwtq with the Holley set up.

Heres the link:
https://www.impalasuperstore.com/nai...TOPIC_ID=44008
Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GGPC,

thanks!
taner
RAINX works mint! wipers are a waste....
Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I finally found some 1/4 mile data comparing a ported LT1 intake and a HSR.
There was a guy,sig name was 12 SEC SS on ISSF, who replaced his ported lt1 intake with a custom HSR. His setup was a 383 with a 847 cam. He picked up 3mph and .4 tenths of a second over the ported lt1. He was pushing over 450rwtq with the Holley set up.

Heres the link:
https://www.impalasuperstore.com/nai...TOPIC_ID=44008
Very nice. The power gains should be even more pronounced with a bigger cam and better flowing heads...I can't wait to get my hands on one .

I was checking out the fuel rails on my 93, and it does not look too hard to replace the crossover with braided fuel line of the right length, but I am still not sure if the injector placement would be correct. Not too keen on being the guinea pig for that, lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck

I agree. I've been randomly poking around for a nice, but cheap LT1 car in my area. I found one, but don't have the money for it right now. It would be a much nicer DD than my 95.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Pardon my oversimplification. Can't you just mill the runners until it fits and forget about the "air gap"? There are no center bolt holes, are there? So there isn't a problem there,is there? Aren't the outer bolt holes the same on the L98 and the LT1? I may be looking at the wrong intake, as I see a different one with center bolt holes. Is it the Vortech headed HSR that is being modified?

Last edited by ckpLT; 02-01-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: More questions added
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Update?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been doing some research lately on intakes and I plumb forgot about the BRE Pro Ram intake. If I am not mistaken it used a HSR base or a ramjet base?? Interesting though http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/167818222FYslag
This thread has actually encourged me to tinker with an intake design I have been thinking about for a while. So far I have cut the top off the stock intake and air gaped it, I have some pretty trick ideas and in theory it should flow pretty damn good. The manifold weighs about 3 lbs right now
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Update?
Nothing new. Still on par for a late Feb. availability date.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any pics of this new manifold? sorry if there is, i didn't look through all 13 pages...
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
any pics of this new manifold? sorry if there is, i didn't look through all 13 pages...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...sr-design.html

This was the prototype.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A KID
This thread has actually encourged me to tinker with an intake design I have been thinking about for a while. So far I have cut the top off the stock intake and air gaped it, I have some pretty trick ideas and in theory it should flow pretty damn good. The manifold weighs about 3 lbs right now
Any pics of this? I would be interested in seeing the intake modified.

Quick Reply: New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s