LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy one of these intakes

Who ,Where, when, Why........because I fu#@$%#@ en need one.

How much......is it

Thanks Tony
Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GGPC
*OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE: MARCH 7th*

That date is set in stone. I'll create a new information/how to order thread that afternoon explaining the 3 stages, options, pricing, and answers to commonly asked questions. The HSRs will be available for B,F,Y and other LT1 setups.

For those with LT4s, we are in the works of creating an option for you guys. That will be available shortly.

For F bodies, The intake will be in the neighborhood of 8.5 inches tall. Now that WILL NOT CLEAR your steel 'hump'. So, we have 2 options:

1. When you order, send in your 'hump' and we will modify it to fit the HSR.
2. In about a month, we will sell a more cut down version that will be under 8 inches. That WILL CLEAR the steel hump. With the cut down version though, the runners will be shorter and plenum volume will be sacrificed a little.

So, March 7th. I know, finally.
How much is a little???
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the hump under the cowl?

If so all ya got to do when the engine is out of the car is heat it up with a torch and tap it up flat. Just be careful not to let it interfere with the wiper linkage.

Dont get it to hot as I cant remember whats behind it, I dont think anything to catch fire.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
How much is a little???
A 1/4 inch of plenum volume and an 1/8th of an inch shorter on the runners.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Are you talking about the hump under the cowl?

If so all ya got to do when the engine is out of the car is heat it up with a torch and tap it up flat. Just be careful not to let it interfere with the wiper linkage.

Dont get it to hot as I cant remember whats behind it, I dont think anything to catch fire.
Is it possible to just remove it first and then do what you need to?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Default is this it?

Ok, just took this pic, I have my engine out so it would seem very timely to do this now... Can you guys tell me where I'm looking to either cut out or beat it up??? like a template maybe that is measured from the center outside edge, I'd think this wouldn't be so hard to figure out if you have the intake sitting there or even looking at the stock one sitting in the car, I just am not quite there yet so I can't... I also don't see a quick way to remove this panel unless I'm missing something here looks like its all one piece into the firewall area and welded?
Attached Thumbnails New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s-dsc02214.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by multmigs
Ok, just took this pic, I have my engine out so it would seem very timely to do this now... Can you guys tell me where I'm looking to either cut out or beat it up??? like a template maybe that is measured from the center outside edge, I'd think this wouldn't be so hard to figure out if you have the intake sitting there or even looking at the stock one sitting in the car, I just am not quite there yet so I can't... I also don't see a quick way to remove this panel unless I'm missing something here looks like its all one piece into the firewall area and welded?
The HSR will sit where the stock piece does. The plenum, from east to west, is 6.6 inches across. Welded, huh? I guess we'll have to move up the cut down version.We called a GM dealer and they told us it could be taken out easily. So much for that. He also told us the hump was just a thin piece of steel bolted to the cowl.

Last edited by GGPC; 02-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I was planning on doing when I had an LT1 in the car was to take that hump, cut it out, flip it over, and weld it back in. I was going to do that for added clearance for a distributor, but I never got around to doing it.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if it can be "unbolted" it shouldn't be a problem for anybody to pull out and beat on and then replace. I'd rather end up with this manifold being the way it was meant to be vs. skimping for that minor bit of clearancing. Just my opinion
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Well, if it can be "unbolted" it shouldn't be a problem for anybody to pull out and beat on and then replace. I'd rather end up with this manifold being the way it was meant to be vs. skimping for that minor bit of clearancing. Just my opinion
+1, if I was still looking at this I would not hesitate to run the normal version and just take a hammer and torch to the part that sticks out .
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Puck
+1, if I was still looking at this I would not hesitate to run the normal version and just take a hammer and torch to the part that sticks out .
I agree. I'm considering this intake as well and as long as it still allows the wipers to function properly I have no problem with cutting/altering that hump to make it fit in order to make the intake function optimally.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

man this will make a good Birthday gift to myself haha
Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Do you HAVE to have that "hump" part, on the car? What purpose does it serve? If nothing at all, Id just remove it and save you some work.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
I agree. I'm considering this intake as well and as long as it still allows the wipers to function properly I have no problem with cutting/altering that hump to make it fit in order to make the intake function optimally.
+100

Those of us wanting the intake would have no issue making the bump go away by our own devices. I would much rather prefer this, over losing some of the intake's power potential... hammer, torch, C4... it's days on this earth are numbered!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback. We would rather leave the intake alone as well. Our GM guy told us the hump is to cover the wiper motors and the wiring. He told us the wiring wont be laying on it loosely. I was also told by somebody else that it was to keep water from running all over the back of the engine.

The only 'cutting' or 'thumping' would be needed right above the stock intake. The plenum on the HSR is a little over 6.6 inches across. So only that patch of the hump needs to be modified. We'll go ahead and offer the shorter version for those that don't want to go through the hassle.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

i got no problem hackin away at the car....once u start its hard to stop
Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put your torches and hammers away, hmm i wonder what might happen if you beat the hell out of it with a hammer consider the windshield is right there? torching is not my idea of the best way either.

you will gain an inch more room, and yes you can cut a section out, you don't even have to go back all the way. that is your choice! no wiring BUT the pivot point for the passenger wiper is there, hence one inch of clearance gained.

you can cut, but good luck flippin' and welding, let me know how that goes for those that try it. get some thin flashing, bend it and drill/rivet it in. be sure to silicone the edges, as rain water will get in there.

be creative, it isn't that hard to make a "closeout" for your new found room.

flyin,

you have mail, get that money order ready, lol!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

I think the cut down version will be more popular then we had originally thought.

Last edited by GGPC; 02-25-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GGPC
I think the cut down version will be more popular then we had originally thought.

I hope thats sarcasm.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you would be surprised, i bought my hogan because it FIT nice, and works great. yes pricey but worth every penny imo. different strokes for different folks. i totally understand why guys don't want to hack at certain areas of their cars.

i think both versions will sell great.

Quick Reply: New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s