Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Fbody shifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011 | 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bballr4567
When I reinstalled my shift boot, I had to trim it to get it BELOW the piece that holds the shifter stick. The first time I installed it I didnt and it wasnt very easy to shift. I trimmed it and it fixed the weird centering issue you are having.
You wouldn't perhaps have a pic of where you trimmed it do you? I noticed today it is going back easier though.
Old 12-15-2011 | 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump...if anybody has the pic I'd appreciate it. I just don't want to trim my boot wrong as I know they are hard to find.
Old 12-15-2011 | 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guitar
Okay, so I got the shifter installed today. Installed fine...however I'm not sure if there is something wrong with it or it was something I did. I re-used the shifter boot (the one that had the 7 7mm screws) and noticed it was a little tight fitting...no problem I figured. Well, the shifter doesn't like to center itself...it is alright from 1-3 but from 5-3 it doesn't like to center without a little help. I'm wondering if I need to modify the boot/get a new one? I did notice there was a little grease around the shifter, there was also all that red grease on the bottom (assuming that was supposed to be there). Any input appreciated, seems like a high quality shifter so I'm hoping it is only a install error.

EDIT: Took the thing apart and the shifter boot off, so it goes back to 3/4 from 5/6, albeit a lot more slowly than it does from 1/2 to 3/4. Not sure if this is a shifter problem or normal...but stock shifter went back quicker I believe...

EDIT 2: Alright so I re-installed, took the cover off, put everything back...goddamn it's loud. I'll try putting it back on...shifter does feel good though. Video of what I mean on the centering springs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObaIjCcebg
Exact same issue with mine since day one. When you pull it out of 5/6/R it's like it needs a little tug" to completely center it under 3rd? That's the only thing I can actually nag about this shifter. It performs exquisitely though

Btw Guitar does your ws6 have side splitters? Or is that the just the lighting off the stock side skirts? Looks good man.
Old 12-15-2011 | 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
Exact same issue with mine since day one. When you pull it out of 5/6/R it's like it needs a little tug" to completely center it under 3rd? That's the only thing I can actually nag about this shifter. It performs exquisitely though

Btw Guitar does your ws6 have side splitters? Or is that the just the lighting off the stock side skirts? Looks good man.
I'M NOT ALONE! Good, so at least I know it isn't my shifter that is the problem. It's been irking me. Yeah, my only nag as well, but also when I downshift from 4 to 3 it likes to grab fifth, but I guess I just have to get used to it.

Um, I don't think so. I had to look up side splitters, but afaik it is stock and probably just the reflection.

Non-reflective pic:

Quick Reply: MGW Fbody shifter!!