Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch bleeder Valve.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bleeder Valve.

I think I have found where it is. But it seems impossible to get a socket on. I have read that it is a 7/16 inch hex, this didnt make a lot of sence to me bc everything else is metric. and also the place I am trying to put the socket is practically impossible to do.

Is it supposed to be the hardest thing I have ever done to a car to bleed the clutch?

Id rather do the heads again then this.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Okay I got that part by cutting a hole in the floor.

But I have been trying to bleed the clutch for a while now and it has regained nothing. It still goes to the floor almost by itself. And from what I can tell it is not taking anything from the resivore.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

I used a 1/4 inch drive socket 7/16 got it right on there. when i bled it i had my friend push the clutch 1/4 inch down then i opened it he pushed it to the floor i locked it down then he manually pulled the clutch pedal up from the floor sucking the fluid out of the resivour. you could see the fluid level drop almost 1/2 the depth of the resivour.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

+1...I actually used a 10mm short 1/4 socket. It sucks to find it when you haven't bled one in a while. But once you find it it's easy
Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weird because I've done it on 3 different cars with an 11mm haha.

I guess whatever fits works.

I didn't cut the floor though. Just used a 1/4" drive ratchet.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ha I couldn't remember off the top of my head. Everytime I get under there I can't see it and I keep thinking it was an 8 mm and It usually takes 15 mins before I find out that it is an 11
Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002ssowner
I used a 1/4 inch drive socket 7/16 got it right on there. when i bled it i had my friend push the clutch 1/4 inch down then i opened it he pushed it to the floor i locked it down then he manually pulled the clutch pedal up from the floor sucking the fluid out of the resivour. you could see the fluid level drop almost 1/2 the depth of the resivour.
Seems I may have been trying to bleed it wrong. I was doing like brakes. Pump hold, bleed, close, pump hold, etc. and never got anything back in the pedal.

I like the hole in the floor. It makes it easy to do.

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

K, Just did this a few times and never saw anything change in the resivour. Im thinking that it might need a master cylinder.

The clutch springs back and fourth. I know that there is a spring in there to help keep the pedal on the floor at something like a stop sign but it seems like there would be less of an on off switch feel to the clutch without the spring.

Has anyone ever removed this?

I have only driven this car one time, it isnt mine, but the feel of the clutch made me glad that I had an a4. I liked the clutch on my 88 beretta better then the one on my buddies trans am, that is just wrong.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Tick's master cylinder if you do.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Okay, i have been working on this some. I have replaced the master cylinder using the instructions on instaluniversity I bench bled it then installed it. Now I have a little of feel back in the petal but it is not disengaging the clutch. the only thing I can think is that there is still air in the system somewhere. But I spent close to an hour just bleeding it and refilling the resivour. I put an entire bottle of brake fluid through it and the petal is still really soft.

The only thing I can think is that the slave cylinder is bad. But what I dont understand how when I tried to flush the old fluid out with new could have broken it.

Is the thing were the line from the clutch master cylinder goes into the transmission supposed to move around? bc this one does.

The clutch worked in the first place just the fluid was deep black. I had read that you are supposed to flush the fluid so when I tried it caused the clutch not to work at all.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

you may just have an air bubble. you really do need to bleed the crap out of them. it could very well be the slave. the only time my fluid ever got really dark has been when the slave went out. don't feel too bad though, my master was leaking out of the rod, replaced that and nothing. dropped the tranny and replaced the slave, nothing. found out my clutch disc decided to weld itself to the flywheel.

it is a pain, but really make sure you bleed it well, if that doesn't work then it is probably the slave. the line on mine has always moved around a little. what master did you go with? if its adjustable you may just need to adjust it.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Just a direct replacement. dont have the money for anything better.

Its not my car, I only drove it once and the clutch seemed really easy to push in and almost like an on off switch. I have done a few things that I have read that are supposed to improve the clutch feel and operation but im just not sure how the clutch is supposed to feel.

It doesnt stick to the floor anymore.

would it be worth it to try and get ahold of a vacuum bleeder and try that? or I have a vacuum pump and I was thinking about rigging up some kind of jar with 2 hoses in the top and just sucking the fluid through the system and just keep the resivour full.

I also suspected that the oring on the quick connect fitting could be bad bc it almost sounds like air is getting sucked back through the bleeder valve but when I look at the end of the bleeder it is still full of fluid and it doesnt look like air has gone back through there. And I also dont think that I am getting any more air out when I bleed it, for a while I could here air bubbles coming out but now it seems like a pretty steady stream.

I have also tried gravity bleeding it for a while and then bleeding it normally. nothing
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts

I have an LPP Remote Bleeder.. it took me and two friends(one bleeding, one filling, me on the Pedal) about 15 min to fully bleed it out.

First we bled the Air out of the Master by me pushing and pulling the Pedal, one friend filling the Resivoir, and the other depressing the Quick Connect. Once we go it to where it was just pissing out straight fluid(no air bubbles) when it was depressed, we connected it to the Slave. From there pretty much it was cracking the Bleeder every time I pushed down, and then closing it and pulling the Pedal up, my other friend filling the Resivoir when it lowered. Then we got it to where it was just straight fluid again, then he would close it, I would pump it up about 10 times, and then he would crack it and I would push it to the floor to push some fluid out. We did this a few times just to get the air out and to make sure.
The final step was taking a small can and filling it with fluid(about 4" deep), then cracking the Bleeder just a hair and submerging the end of it in the fluid. I pumped the Pedal about 30 times when it was like this. This got out the last remaining air bubbles. The reason we did it like this is because every time it would suck back in when the Pedal came up it would be only fluid. This actually worked very well to push out the remaing few air bubbles.

I know you don't have a Remote Bleeder, but I'm just explaning how we did it to where you may be able to use our first few steps to help you.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

not sure how they all are, but mine made a sucking noise when the slave went out.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
14 Second Truck Club

the merv That sounds like a good idea with the putting the end in a cup with some fluid and pumping the clutch. ill see if I can get some friends to help me out.

white02ws6

did it make a sucking sound all the time?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to replace my slave cause it went bad. It did not make a sucking sound, lol. But I did have a weak and sticky clutch pedal that would stick half way up even around town. I even had the dearler bleed it, but that was when I was a silly newb
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 20002wdchevy
the merv That sounds like a good idea with the putting the end in a cup with some fluid and pumping the clutch. ill see if I can get some friends to help me out.

white02ws6

did it make a sucking sound all the time?
mine actually made a sucking sound whenever the pedal was pushed in and released

Quick Reply: Clutch bleeder Valve.