Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Keep Blowing Slaves WTF.....Tick Master/Mcleod RST

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Keep Blowing Slaves WTF.....Tick Master/Mcleod RST

Hello,
I have a Tick Master, RST mcleod Dual Disk Clutch and an Oryllies Slave.
this is the second one that I have blown out and its really anoying.
the brake fluid gets all over the clutch and starts to slip.
I took it apart once today and it had some slight hot spots. We are going to take it apart again on Monday and replace it with a new Slave but I dont understand what gives.

Here is some things I was considering:
the Tick Master needs adjustment to allow for less travel in order to not force the seal.

The Mcleod RST twin is too hard for the slave to push???? can this be possible?
Im strongly considering going to an Auto if I keep having this problems.
Cant even enjoy the car at the track.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any thoughts on this?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slave could have been bad. I've seen a few scenario's where people have bought slaves that were brand new yet still wouldn't work in their car. After they took it back to exchange for a different new stock slave they got their cars to work.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you over extended the tick
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever measure to see if you needed a shim for the proper clearance? you are more than likely overextending the slave. adjust your tick like they recommend so it just barely disengages the clutch and go from there.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

if you are using a shim make sure that the slave is sitting flush and it is not cocked. I had this problem and the slave cylinder housing was cracking causing it to leak.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious about this as well since I just finished my RST install and also have the Tick MC. I ensured that I could turn the disc by hand while the clutch was fully depressed so I know it's disengaging but what's this about overextending the slave? Are you saying that if the pedal is adjusted out too far (causing more travel of the MC) then it will push the slave in too far when you're pushing the clutch in?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

dont buy anymore oreilly slaves...buy GM and properly adjust your MC
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im thinking the slave is being overextended like it was said above. So yeah, if you adjust the Tick where is too high, it will push the slave way too much and blow the seal.
the slave was a brand new unit that was working under daily conditions, but when I started beating on it, it spilled the fluid.
I am going to send my RST to mcleod so they can do a full rebuild and buy a new GM slave and install it this way with the Tick making sure I have it where it disengages the clutch at the lpowest point so as to not overextend the slave.

The slave did not have a shim, I have never measured anything and just bolted the parts up and adjusted the car. this is the first time I took the car to the track and this is what happened. 2 slaves later and still having problems.

I will update the thread with new information as I get the clutch back.
Im afraid it will screw up again and fluid will get on the disks again.
this sucks.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

im thinking of getting the RST. what flywheel are u running??
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

^I have the McLeod billet steel flywheel but it works with a GM flywheel as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Originally Posted by Red99TA
^I have the McLeod billet steel flywheel but it works with a GM flywheel as well.
Your clutch/fw setup is the exact same as what I'm considering. How you like it so far?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by All-In
Your clutch/fw setup is the exact same as what I'm considering. How you like it so far?
I just finished break-in miles last night and it just grips like a **** now. I'll get it down the track sometime this summer but the DA is going to be **** for a while (it's freakin' hot here). Only complaint I have is there is a slight increase in vibration after the swap. I had the clutch/FW balanced as an assembly by McLeod too. I did some research and some LS motors do have weights near the outer diameter of the stock FW to account for some minor motor imbalance even though the motor is supposed to be internally balanced. Anyways, lesson learned in my case was to have the new assembly balanced to match the old assembly. Not all LS motors have the weights and many probably wouldn't even notice but I'm kind of a perfectionist.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I just finished break-in miles last night and it just grips like a **** now. I'll get it down the track sometime this summer but the DA is going to be **** for a while (it's freakin' hot here). Only complaint I have is there is a slight increase in vibration after the swap. I had the clutch/FW balanced as an assembly by McLeod too. I did some research and some LS motors do have weights near the outer diameter of the stock FW to account for some minor motor imbalance even though the motor is supposed to be internally balanced. Anyways, lesson learned in my case was to have the new assembly balanced to match the old assembly. Not all LS motors have the weights and many probably wouldn't even notice but I'm kind of a perfectionist.
Nice. Any chatter? How is it in street driving? Smooth engagement?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by All-In
Nice. Any chatter? How is it in street driving? Smooth engagement?
Zero chatter and a light pedal feel as well. It drives fine on the street. I have a tendancy to bog it a little every now and then in 1st but only because I'm still getting used to it. I think it engages pretty smoothly. Really not much difference from the stock LS6 clutch other than the fact that this one will hold whatever I can throw at it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Zero chatter and a light pedal feel as well. It drives fine on the street. I have a tendancy to bog it a little every now and then in 1st but only because I'm still getting used to it. I think it engages pretty smoothly. Really not much difference from the stock LS6 clutch other than the fact that this one will hold whatever I can throw at it.
Very nice!

Quick Reply: Keep Blowing Slaves WTF.....Tick Master/Mcleod RST