Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LW flywheel or steel flywheel

Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LW flywheel or steel flywheel

im going to be buying a new clutch and want to know which fly wheel is better. i drive alot in stop and go traffic and want to be able to do some launches on it as well
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-opinions.html
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowdaze
im going to be buying a new clutch and want to know which fly wheel is better. i drive alot in stop and go traffic and want to be able to do some launches on it as well
The do not even look at a Aluminum Flywheel. With these cars having Inertia built up helps with MULTIPLE situations especially stop and go traffic and drag racing. The RPMs with a Aluminum FW move up quicker but also drop quicker which does lead to things like premature clutch failure and not optimal driveability.

Alum FW do have advantages but it does matter what situation you put the car in. In a Autocross situation, once the car is under power and moving that heavier wheel does not help, its actually a hinderance.

Based on what you had stated, get the steel FW offered with the kit.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

^^

Originally Posted by TDP
This subject gets over-analyzed way too often & blown out of proportion. It's really a minimal difference. Most aftermarket clutches have a pressure plate that is much heavier than stock, so a light flywheel will more than make up for it. For example, my Diamond Clutch kits all weigh right around 43lbs. This is the total weight of the disc, pressure plate, and flywheel. Keep in mind that I use the 15lb lightweight chromoly flywheel with all my kits. Then I weighed a stock clutch kit and it came out to 49lbs. That is only a 12% difference in overall weight. Its just enough to feel a noticable difference. With the rotating mass being 12% lighter, the engine effeciency is increased. The advantages that you will see include; better power transfer thru the drivetrain equating to a slight gain in RWHP, RPMs climb faster, RPMs drop faster.
Disadvantages are; Less weight will give you less momentum when racing. So it will be a little more tough to get a good launch.
However, the advantage of having better engine effiency by far outweighs this disadvantage.
Considering the few trade-offs when using a lightweight flywheel, it is worth it, hands down.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

You can quote Sponsors all you like. Have YOU driven one IN a 3500+ pound Fbody?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You can quote Sponsors all you like. Have YOU driven one IN a 3500+ pound Fbody?
if you woulda read my sig you have your answer. I quoted him bc he is correct and i dont feel like retyping it. Words in his post were used in corelation on corvetteforum as well in similar threads. Its nothin to argue its fact. Ive had both.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

I have driven Aluminum FW cars and they are definitly on/off switches and when you race, and thats drag racing, it is needed. The RPM drop is large enough and we do not need the car stressing the clutch more.

Like said there are advantages to having less rotating mass but when it comes to the flywheel, thats is the one place for a Street Car, or Drag car really does not want to skimp out on.

Race weight certainly factors in the decision but based on the OP, he will be fine with a Steel FL. A Chomoly FW is fractionally lighter, and what I was getting at when he talked about Lighter Flywheels is going down to an aluminum which is much more of a PITA to deal with.

So I think this is where we have a misunderstanding, I assume LW = Lightest Possible, your thinking Chromeoly so thats the way I see it. We are talking two different metals.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have driven Aluminum FW cars and they are definitly on/off switches and when you race, and thats drag racing, it is needed. The RPM drop is large enough and we do not need the car stressing the clutch more.

Like said there are advantages to having less rotating mass but when it comes to the flywheel, thats is the one place for a Street Car, or Drag car really does not want to skimp out on.

Race weight certainly factors in the decision but based on the OP, he will be fine with a Steel FL. A Chomoly FW is fractionally lighter, and what I was getting at when he talked about Lighter Flywheels is going down to an aluminum which is much more of a PITA to deal with.

So I think this is where we have a misunderstanding, I assume LW = Lightest Possible, your thinking Chromeoly so thats the way I see it. We are talking two different metals.
lol ok yes....i gotcha bc i was thinking that
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Default Roll racing

ok iv'e read the pros and cons of a lightweight flywheel.The only thing i'm concerned about is will a lighter flywheel make my full bolt on car faster from a roll?My car can't hook for **** anyway.I usually race from a roll in first gear from about 25mph.Faster? How much?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badamn
ok iv'e read the pros and cons of a lightweight flywheel.The only thing i'm concerned about is will a lighter flywheel make my full bolt on car faster from a roll?My car can't hook for **** anyway.I usually race from a roll in first gear from about 25mph.Faster? How much?
yes....slightly. Motor revs quicker.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Default hmmmm

Originally Posted by SStheBest
yes....slightly. Motor revs quicker.
if yes, slightly, is the best answer i'm gonna get then i'll have to just install one and tell everybody how much faster the car is with it.I mean if it's a car length it'd be worth it.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I'd recommend going lightweight, but NOT aluminum. I've seen nothing but problems with the $400 aluminum flywheels.
Check out my website www.diamondclutch.com
We offer complete clutch kits with a 15lb 4140 chromoly steel flywheel. The heavy duty clutch kits that we carry are slightly heavier than stock.
The Diamond Clutch complete kit(s) weigh in at 43lbs, whereas the stock clutch/fly weigh in at 49 lbs. Only 6lbs lighter (about 12%). This improves the engine's efficiency, as you get quicker revs and less drivetrain power loss. You really have nothing to lose when going this route. Chromoly is a VERY high grade of steel specifically made for high heat applications. It will not warp like the aluminum flywheel inserts will. We stand behind our products 100% with a 1 year warranty. Shipping is currently free, so let us know if you decide to order, by calling. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LW flywheel or steel flywheel