Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 clutch and slicks.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ls7 clutch and slicks.

Ok guys I've been reading up here on this subject recently and I never really got a straight forward answer. Some would say no some would say they are and doing jut fine with it.

But my cars gonna be a big cam only car and my buddy can get me a ls2 flywheel and ls7 clutch and pressure plate all brand new for around 400. I was gonna go ahead and get a monster stage 3 but since I'm gonna be on the 10 bolt till I get my 8.8 done I think it wouldn't be too fun to grenade it so quickly since the stage 3 grabs so hard.

But the question is how many of you are running this ls7 clutch and dumping it at the track on slicks and it holding up??

I'm still undecided bc a stage 3 really isn't but 300 more for everything but the ls7 feels so much nicer lol

Car will mabye see the track 1-2 times a month tops once the rear is done, but will more than likely have slicks on the street for a few digs and rolls so I'm really undecided about the subject bc 2 of my buddies had the ls7 and one beat the hell out of it on the street and the other at the track.

Depending on the answers I get here I may wind up going monster I just have to get used to the on/off style of the stage 3 I've tried driving my buddies and haven't had much luck with it but it may be because he has a tick mc and I'm used to slipping a clutch which that one doesn't want LOL

But any help would be appreciated!

Car is a weekend car btw!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing years ago and if I had to do it all over again I would have not used the ls7. It is a great combo for the street but it can not handle the abuse at the track on slicks. You will get mixed reviews but at 3400lb race weight, 6k launches on slicks I killed it pretty quick.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear mixed reviews about it as well. Some guys love it but others say they wish they would have gone with a better clutch. My overall impression from over the years is that the LS7 clutch can be a good street clutch, but won't last long at the strip with sticky tires.

My suggestion is the Monster stage 2 if you don't want that "on/off" style puck clutch. The stage 2 is a full face clutch, rated at 550rwhp and only $580 shipped from the WS6store.com.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I hear mixed reviews about it as well. Some guys love it but others say they wish they would have gone with a better clutch. My overall impression from over the years is that the LS7 clutch can be a good street clutch, but won't last long at the strip with sticky tires.

My suggestion is the Monster stage 2 if you don't want that "on/off" style puck clutch. The stage 2 is a full face clutch, rated at 550rwhp and only $580 shipped from the WS6store.com.
That's what I was also thinking about going with but if its really only a 60 difference between the stage 2 and 3 why not just go ahead and get stage 3 that'll handle anything I throw at it. Only down side is I do a lot of bumper to bumper traffic.

Also was planning on a 150-200 shot after the rear gets built out of the whole and idk if the stage 2 would handle that two well.

But thank you two for the replies I figured that's what I was gonna hear haha!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've ran mine on slicks for the past year or so. Maybe 30 passes. I don't dump the clutch but its been fine. I slip it from 4500-5k. It's got about 40k on it. They just don't like hot lapping.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mtt14
if its really only a 60 difference between the stage 2 and 3 why not just go ahead and get stage 3 that'll handle anything I throw at it? Only down side is I do a lot of bumper to bumper traffic.
You just answered your own question, it's not about the money, it's about the characteristics of the clutch. Puck style is an "On/off" switch clutch with more chatter. Glaze will build up occasionally which you will then need to beat on the clutch a bit to burn off the glaze. Plus is it will take a beating at the track on a car with a lot of HP. Stage 1-2 are full faced and will have less chatter if any and drive closer to stock.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Blue knight is dead on, level 2 will be your best bet. That said once you get used to how our master feels and the more on off style of the level 3 I dont think you would be disappointed either. If its a driver though you may just go with the level 2.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the stage 3. It is one hell of a bitch to drive on the street. I hate it only for that reason but other wise its a badass clutch. Its just death on the street. I dont drive my car much anyone bc of it. Just not enjoyable with that clutch on the street. Now if it was more of a track only car that sees the street every once in a blue moon it would be a diff story.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Well I know either way any clutch I get I'd have to get used to bc I'm so used to a stock lt1 clutch when I drove my buddies cammed ls1 with a spec 1 I could feel the difference. That being said I may try driving my buddies with the stage 3 one more time before I make my decision but I don't think it'd be too bad it'd just take some getting used to like any other clutch bc I'm used to the slipping style. But I would love to have the ability to drive an hour to the track spray it out of the hole and safely drive back home. I do drive a lot of small town busy traffic but I don't think it'd be too bad since its not my daily and I usually take the back roads.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

iv had mine for give or take almost 2 years. yea still havnt gotten use to it. it made me hate my 6spd so much im doing a 4L80 swap as we speak

Last edited by Blackbird-WS6; 02-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS7 clutch won't last very long. We prefer the Mcleod RXT for street drivability, light peddle effort and can handle track abuse no problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

The 2 will take abuse and drive great, the 3 will always take abuse and will drive good on the street. I've personally daily driven a 3 without any issues what so ever, some others have the experience like Blackbird-WS6.

The LS7 is just garbage IMHO, if you want a stock clutch that is all it is - there's no reason to over-glorify it.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Well guys just to give ya an update I drove my buddies cammed trans am again tonight. Let me say it was way easier than before I think it's bc I haven't driven an fbody in a year due to my wreck so it was just a jump in and do it bc I wasn't used to a stock lt1 clutch lol I'm definately going with the stage 3 and tick master love it!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

i daily my monster stage 3 it took a few days to get used to. now its like second nature and it will take whatever you can throw at it

Quick Reply: Ls7 clutch and slicks.