Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 speed tranny power limits/when to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed tranny power limits/when to rebuild?

Looking at a modified Z06 with north of 600 horsepower. The engine is supercharged. My concern is that the rest of the drivetrain is stock.

How likely is the tranny and rear end as well as halfshafts and such to withstand that? I know they are pretty stout pieces from the factory, but not sure what their threshold is.

If one was going to have the tranny and/or rear upgraded, which company would you use?

Thank you for any input. I appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

rpm transmissions is the best in the business.
www.rpmtransmissions.com
Old 10-13-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

600 rwhp or bhp?
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pushing the limit on the drive train on the Vette.

Everyone wants max power,but when it comes time to pony up for drive train componets get your wallet out.

550rwhp is safe

Once you cross that threshold things are susceptible to premature failure at the drop of your left leg.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Procharged Z06.....makes more than you are asking about. It holds fine.....99% of the time, it is the driver that breaks the transmission, not the power. Now, with that being said. If you are going to put on Bias Ply's and drop the clutch at the track, that's another situation.

If it's a street car, and you are going to run drag radial, and do freeway runs....I have friends that make over 1k whp, with stock trans, run bottom 10's, on soft launches, no problems.

I also have a friend, with a stock one......tune, exhaust....breaks EVERYTHING on the car. Transmission, rearends, halfshafts, etc.....swears it's not his fault.

Good small MOI twin disc, and shifter alignment are key....IMHO...
Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WTF?
I have a Procharged Z06.....makes more than you are asking about. It holds fine.....99% of the time, it is the driver that breaks the transmission, not the power. Now, with that being said. If you are going to put on Bias Ply's and drop the clutch at the track, that's another situation.

If it's a street car, and you are going to run drag radial, and do freeway runs....I have friends that make over 1k whp, with stock trans, run bottom 10's, on soft launches, no problems.

I also have a friend, with a stock one......tune, exhaust....breaks EVERYTHING on the car. Transmission, rearends, halfshafts, etc.....swears it's not his fault.

Good small MOI twin disc, and shifter alignment are key....IMHO...
lol over 1000hp and runs bottom 10s
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a better torque tube than us FRC guys, you should be fine. I'd replace the couplers if you're worried, if he already didn't do it when he did the clutch. I didn't do mine when I did the clutch and now they're starting to rattle, FML.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
lol over 1000hp and runs bottom 10s
Yep....LOL Babying those trannies......uhh....."soft launches" ..the perks of having a boosted vette....still fun as F@ck, though...wouldn't trade mine for blue Camaro....

At least my reply was pertinent to the question, and yours was just........gay.

Quick Reply: 6 speed tranny power limits/when to rebuild?