Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ZF 6-speed versus the t56?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZF 6-speed versus the t56?

First off, I searched and didn't find much in the way of results, so I decided to ask here.

I am in the process of building a turboed Volvo straight six, and I am planning on using a volvo to SBC transmission adapter plate and running a SBC bolt-pattern 6-speed. My question is whether anyone knows the horsepower and torque ratings of the ZF 6-speeds from the corvettes and how they would compare to the hp and torque ratings of an LT1-era t56. My power goals are somewhere in the area of 500 wheel horsepower for drag runs and dyno runs and 300 wheel for daily driving. I was just wondering if the ZF or the t56 would be a more appropriate (or cheaper) tranny to use.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the straight up t-56 from an lt1 car with a good old performance rebuild i would think would be more cost effective.

gm used the zf tranny from the c4 vette in the 91-92 firehawks and it took some modding but thats all they really had to use i guess.

people who do swaps in thirdgen fbodies usually go the t-56 route from a lt1 car and then rebuild it stronger if they have alot of power. some even hop up the t-5 and use that. the t-56 seems to be cost effective that route. since t-56 parts i think are more readily availalbe and cheaper more likely.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Teching In

any idea of the different weights of the transmissions, as the engine I'm using weighs around ~450 pounds before the two turbos and associated plumbing it will get, and I'd like to keep the total weight of the car under 3400 pounds. I am also wondering if there is any difference between the length between the shifter and the face of the bellhousing on a LT1 t56 or a ZF 6-speed. Iirc the t56 has the same shifter location as the t5, and that is a bit too short for my car. Just looking at pictures, it seems like the ZF is a slightly longer transmission.

What I'm really interested in are the weights of the two transmissions, whether they need a single or dual-mass flywheel, and what their stock HP and torque ratings are. If anyone knows what differences in shift feel quality there might be between the two transmissions, that would also be nice.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

The T56 is approximately 140 pounds dry, but I don't know about the ZF. The 94-up T56's are rated at 450 ft-lb, but most will hold more. Also, if you build one up with the right parts you can pretty much give it all you've got.

Ryan
Old 11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

anything about the flywheel needs of one versus another or the shifter location?

Basically was the shifter on a c4 further back than the shifter on a f-body?

I'm also still interested in the torque rating of the ZF unit as well as it's weight if anyone knows it.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stay away from the ZF's if at all possible. Since they are made in Germany and no manufacturer here uses them anymore, getting parts are all but impossible. On your weight question; they are substantially heavier than a standard BORG-WARNER T-56. I wish I could remember the number for you, but its been almost 10 years since I've messed with a ZF that was in a 96 Grand Sport Vette.

Just make sure you use an LT1 T-56. They are tons stronger than the tremec junk. My LT1 tranny took 10 years of abuse and during the last two years, it took 700 ft/lbs of torque on nitrous launches before it needed to be refreshed.

On the other hand, my LS1 tremec T-56 couldnt hold up to my stock motor before it had to be beefed up.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Stay away from the ZF's if at all possible. Since they are made in Germany and no manufacturer here uses them anymore, getting parts are all but impossible. On your weight question; they are substantially heavier than a standard BORG-WARNER T-56. I wish I could remember the number for you, but its been almost 10 years since I've messed with a ZF that was in a 96 Grand Sport Vette.

Just make sure you use an LT1 T-56. They are tons stronger than the tremec junk. My LT1 tranny took 10 years of abuse and during the last two years, it took 700 ft/lbs of torque on nitrous launches before it needed to be refreshed.

On the other hand, my LS1 tremec T-56 couldnt hold up to my stock motor before it had to be beefed up.

Jeff
Zf 6 speeds were assembled in America.
My father was one of the lead designers of the s6-40 prototype. This was done in northville, michigan at our technology center. I believe they were assembled at one of our plants in Georgia.

Last edited by Kfred77; 05-10-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis

Jeff
The BW and Tremec are the exact same trans all parts interchange and the part numbers on the same literally no difference sounds like you just had a good luck/bad luck case.

To the op I agree t56 all the way, much easier to get parts for and lighter
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kfred77
Zf 6 speeds were assembled in America.
My father was one of the lead designers of the s6-40 prototype. This was done in northville, michigan at our technology center. I believe they were assembled at one of our plants in Georgia.
I've seen a ZF that read Made in West Germany on the tag. Maybe the later ones were made in the US.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

T56 is probably the best long term...or

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am..._volvo_240.htm
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

They're a broader spread between shafts for strength. They had multi-height synchro teeth way before the T56 got them and spring-loaded ball slider index keys long before the TR6060 came out, and 32 spline mainshaft long before the SSR T56.

They're a beefy box, rated 450lb-ft. Parts used to always be a chore to find due to the GM dealer setup of unit replacement rather than teardown & rebuild. They have far fewer shifter placement options. And a dual-mass flywheel is needed to tame their noise.

They were used in the Vette and I think a Lotus model internationally. Good trans.

Fitment of the S6-40 to the Chevrolet SB and LT-5 may have happened in Michigan, but development of the trans. itself did not.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 AM
Launching!

T56>>>ZF S6-40

If anyone thought that T56 parts were overpriced- well parts for the ZF cost 3-4 times as much from what I've read.

Quick Reply: ZF 6-speed versus the t56?