Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Keeping Our Cars SAFE From Clutch Explosions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Keeping Our Cars SAFE From Clutch Explosions

I've read more than one thread on this site about pressure plates/flywheels failing and causing catastrophic damage to these cars, and we've all heard stories about them causing damage to the drivers, as well! Lets use this thread as a guide on keeping our cars (and our legs!) out of harms way.

What options do we have when modding for safety?

Please post up pictures, links, prices and experiences with all kinds of products designed to improve safety. If we all educate ourselves further about safety devices available to us, we are more able to make smart choices which will in turn (hopefully) elimate any future threads like this one.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SFI approved bellhousing It won't shatter.

I'd say a SFI approved billet steel or aluminum flywheel too, as it won't shatter.

Only other thing I can thing of is to have your flywheel and presure plate balanced. Install correctly and touque to specs.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

The new centerforce clutch is SFI rated, PP is made out of billet steel or maybe it was stainless steel i can't remember, but would be cool as it is SFI rated.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get a specIII. It's always the one that was used when these stories come up.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using loctite on the bolts will help prevent them from backing out and causing this issue
Old 12-24-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Don't buy a SPEC 3...(get an LS7 clutch instead)
2) McLeod SFI Bellshousing
3) Tranny blanket (cheap solution)
4) VERY well balanced PP and flywheel. Each part should be internally, then balanced as an assembly.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some pics from when I put mine in.
http://fastls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10218

There's a write up on here about it too. The search function just isn't working for me right now so I can't find it.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
1) Don't buy a SPEC 3...(get an LS7 clutch instead)
That's funny, I know a few 6-second-in-the-1/8th LS1s and plenty of 7-second ones running a SPEC 3 that haven't blown up. There's been, what, 3-4 stories in 3-4 years of them blowing up and all of a sudden they are the only clutch to ever explode? I think not.

The thread was asked about safety and CONTAINING a clutch explosion. I don't think clutch brand should come into play as I have seen stock, Centerforce, and Ram clutches explode on cars ranging from a 1969 Chevelle to my friend's 1995 5.0.

Like everybody else said, an approved bellhousing and/or tranny blanket, and making sure you torque the bolts to correct specs are the best things to do.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah and i know guys on stock clutches and run fast, does that mean they are good for high power? nope. spec has proven to be shitty in the past, which is why i wont go back to them.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
That's funny, I know a few 6-second-in-the-1/8th LS1s and plenty of 7-second ones running a SPEC 3 that haven't blown up. There's been, what, 3-4 stories in 3-4 years of them blowing up and all of a sudden they are the only clutch to ever explode? I think not.
There's been a hell of a lot more than just 3-4 stories. Do a search on this forum and you will find 5-6 from this year alone. Also find me a thread where a clutch other than SPEC or stock has blown up... Sure clutches in other cars have had a problem, but I'm strictly talking LS1's, as this is an LS1 forum. The fact remains that SPEC obviously has issues with making durable clutches. I'm sure a lot of their clutches turn out to work very well, but personally I would prefer to buy from a company who has far less complaints and stands behind their product.

As for the LS7 clutch, it costs about the same as the SPEC, holds the about the same amount of power, drives like stock, no chatter, probably not going to explode as it is used on production vehicles, and will probably last 125,000+ miles, depending on the driver.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

There's been a hell of a lot more than just 3-4 stories. Do a search on this forum and you will find 5-6 from this year alone. Also find me a thread where a clutch other than SPEC or stock has blown up... Sure clutches in other cars have had a problem, but I'm strictly talking LS1's, as this is an LS1 forum. The fact remains that SPEC obviously has issues with making durable clutches. I'm sure a lot of their clutches turn out to work very well, but personally I would prefer to buy from a company who has far less complaints and stands behind their product.

As for the LS7 clutch, it costs about the same as the SPEC, holds the about the same amount of power, drives like stock, no chatter, probably not going to explode as it is used on production vehicles, and will probably last 125,000+ miles, depending on the driver.
exactly. This thread is about stayin safe from clutch explosions, and obviously one way to stay safe is staying away from SPEC clutches. Noone that Ive seen has ever had one explode ohter than a Spec. So its obviously THAT clutch that has the problem. So if you got a different clutch, like the LS7, then I wouldnt worry AS MUCH (although the SFI bellhousing is still a good way to go) about getting an aftermarket bellhousing or blanket.

I do want to know more about these SFI bellhousings though. I understand that they wont explode and let pieces fly out and hit the motor and such. But what kind of damage could that still cause to the crank/engine/tranny? If something blows with enough force to go through a bellhousing and car, then even with a SFI housing, that force still has to go somewhere right?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Crank should be ok cause of a nice strong billet flywheel, it has a big peice of metal that seperates it from the tranny also so probably the only real thing exposed is the input shaft.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Also find me a thread where a clutch other than SPEC or stock has blown up.
As for the LS7 clutch...probably not going to explode as it is used on production vehicles
You just contradicted yourself, first of all.

Second of all, the main reason you see so many SPECS explode in LS1s is exactly that...this is an LS1 website, so you're only going to hear about LS1 explosions. 2nd of all, SPEC is BY FAR and exponentially the most ran clutch on this board.

Third of all, a lot(not all, but a lot) of the stores have circumstances which outweigh the "only SPECs fault" tactic. The newest one was a guy who had flood damage up to his interior in the car and was already trying to get his insurance company to repair the car when he STILL went and ran the car and thus, catastrophic failure. If you knew your motor had water in it, and you ran it 'till it blew up, would you blame the company who made the internals or the fact that you ran your car knowing it had damage?

I'm not saying SPEC is the be-all-end-all clutch. But what I am saying is I know plenty of drag cars who are at the strip AT LEAST twice a week and running in the 11s consistently on a SPEC 3 clutch and I've seen a sponsor's torque arm break, I've seen a 12 bolt posi break, and I've seen the internals of a transmission break while the SPEC was still grabbing like new.

I wish I had the money to run a Tex or a McLeod dual and if you are putting down significant numbers(if I was putting down any more than 400 at the wheels, I'd run a Tex), then you should. But you cannot blame a manufactuer for something that is out of their control when there are FAR more clutches running great times, doing their job, and NOT failing than are. You have to look at the statistics and realize that 5 stories in 3-4 years isn't THAT bad on a specified board when there are probably 10s of thousands of SPEC clutches being ran in LS1s right now.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

there may be more spec failures we heard of and i agree that it is due to more being sold, however i still think they are top of the list for failures. of all the people i personally know with a spec, only one works like it should. all we are trying to do it help people in their decisions here. if a spec has blown up and you are concerned with safety spec may not be your top choice. everyone will have their opinions, lets leave this thread for info instead of defending a certain clutch based on failure per amount sold. spec has just proven to us that there are repeated failures with their clutches, could be fixed now but maybe it isnt. i wouldnt chance it though.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

You just contradicted yourself, first of all.
The only reason a stock LS1 clutch would explode is if it pushed passed it's limits. Being its a stock clutch, it's limits aren't that high. I havent heard of a single story of a stock clutch exploding however, yet someone seems to think they do, and I imagine they would under the right circumstances. The LS7 clutch is rated for much more power and thus much less likely to explode due to stress on a highpower LS1/LS6 than an LS1 clutch on the same car. I would not consider an LS7 clutch "stock", as it did not roll out of the factory with it installed. No contradiction has occured.

Everyone has their opinions on SPEC clutches. Mine is obvious. I made a thread for anyone who owns or had owned a SPEC clutch just to get their thoughts on it, I would like to hear what the customers have to say.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
everyone will have their opinions, lets leave this thread for info instead of defending a certain clutch based on failure per amount sold.
Which is why I previously said:

ThaThe thread was asked about safety and CONTAINING a clutch explosion. I don't think clutch brand should come into play as I have seen stock, Centerforce, and Ram clutches explode on cars ranging from a 1969 Chevelle to my friend's 1995 5.0.

Like everybody else said, an approved bellhousing and/or tranny blanket, and making sure you torque the bolts to correct specs are the best things to do.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

I would not consider an LS7 clutch "stock", as it did not roll out of the factory with it installed. No contradiction has occured.

Everyone has their opinions on SPEC clutches. Mine is obvious. I made a thread for anyone who owns or had owned a SPEC clutch just to get their thoughts on it, I would like to hear what the customers have to say.
It's a stock GM-made clutch that comes from the factory, is it not?

And last I checked, nobody in your thread had anything but high remarks for their SPEC.

Anyways, back to the safety topic...

I think everybody agrees that a shatterproof bellhousing and/or tranny blanket at the two best things to do when trying to contain a clutch explosion. Making sure your bolts are torqued to correct specs is a big one as well, and not slipping/heating your clutch and running it hard if it has just been slipped or is hot is another one.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

The LS7 clutch is rated for much more power and thus much less likely to explode due to stress on a highpower LS1/LS6 than an LS1 clutch on the same car. I would not consider an LS7 clutch "stock", as it did not roll out of the factory with it installed. No contradiction has occured.
LS7 clutch was also designed for a different application than an F-body... namely a car that weighs 500lbs less.

I'd bet my 385 rwhp slicks & skinnies LS1 F-body that weighs in at 3600lbs plus driver weight hits a drivetrain much harder on a high rpm launch than an LS7 powered Y-Body would.

All that weight transferring harshly through that single point in the drivetrain matters just as much if not more so than the actual power numbers. I've fragged clutches meant for a much higher HP, but couldn't handle tossing over 3800 lbs (including the driver) forward in a 1.70 60' at 6000 rpms.

Back to the safety question, if you're doing a lot of drag racing and are hitting your clutch that hard, I recommend not only a really stout clutch (like a McLeod Twin Disk) but also a McLeod SFI bellhousing.

Quick Reply: Keeping Our Cars SAFE From Clutch Explosions