Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7/ls2 Clutch Install,now Vibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7/ls2 Clutch Install,now Vibrations!

I just installed an LS7/LS2 clutch/flywheel combo on my 2002 camaro ss, now there is more vibration, like the motor is missing at 2000 rpm and up, not sure what could it be. These were brand new parts, I researched alot before going with this combo. I hadn't heard of anyone having there factory ls2 gm flywheel balanced.. I also installed a polyurethand trans mount, could this be where I picked up more vibrations? Was I supposed to install the pressure plate at a certain position in relation to the flywheel? Any advice would be appreciated greatly

Bryan
Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Did you replace your throwout bearing when you did the clutch swap?

I have the same combo and not a single problem. Also make sure you slave and master cylinders are in check.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Negative on the throwout bearing, I felt it for roughness or play and it was like new.. Maybe this is just part of the break in period.I'm reading alot of post on people that have a Poly trans mount that makes alot of vibes. thanks.. Any other advice or input?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a poly trans mount long before my ls7 clutch and I have no vibrations whatsoever. My car feels like stock except for the slightly tougher to push in clutch that grabs about 2-3 inches off the floor.

The pressure plate is identical at all 3 dowel points I think, no special orientation. Did you put locktite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts? A bolt may have backed off.

Did you replace the slave, pilot bearing or throwout bearing? It's such a cheap replacement for the 2 bearings and peace of mind for new parts.

Is it properly bled?

Did you use the preload plate on the transmission mount? The energy suspension preload humps + preload plate tend to transfer a lot of vibrations, removing them will make the mount feel like stock in terms of vibrations in the cabin.

Finally, when bolting up the transmission to the transmission mount, are you sure everything was aligned properly. When I tightened up my transmission I had it on a transmission stand and had shifted over the transmission and engine more to the passenger side in the process. Getting my torque arm back on was tough to say the least. On loosening the bolts, the transmission and engine assembly promptly slid itself back to center then tightened it all up again.

Last edited by SladeX; 10-16-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I used threadlocker on both the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts, torqued them with a crisscross pattern in 3 progressive torque amounts finaling out with 74 ftlbs on the flywheel bolts and 54 ftlbs on the pressure plate bolts..

Yes I replaced my slave and throwout bearing. I felt extremely confident of the pilot bearing, there was no roughness or play in it. This is a low mileage car.. I have an S-10 with a manual transmission with well over 150 grand on the clock with the factory pilot bearing...

I used a lowmount transmisson jack adapter for a typical 2 1/4 ton trolley jack. I got the input shaft to engage in the clutch plate splines, and using the tilting **** of the jack visually got the holes in the transmission and flywheel housing very close, and this may have been my down fall- pushed the transmission on to the dowel holes in flywheel housing with a fairly decent amount of force..
Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went in as smooth as butter... I was surprised at how easy it went in.

Did you remove any rust deposits on the input shaft and grease it up? It makes a world of difference, also did you ensure to crack the bleeder a tad when installing the transmission?

I can't recall if that is the correct pressure plate bolt torque, I had to actually look it up in a 99 camaro manual, and even then it wasn't in the section with the rest of the torque specs.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Launching!

I have an LS7 clutch as well, and it was fine. When I used a Poly trans mount, I picked up a crap load of vibes, it drove me crazy. For some eason, my car didnt have an aluminum DS, after I bought one, the vibes allmost all went away. Infact, every car that I have had, that I installed a poly trans mount, picked up vibes.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default Whitedevil, you nailed it,

Update-

After taking in all the different problems people on here were having with the clutch, I was prepared to remove the trans and start over again, but I wanted to check to see if the stock transmission mount would make that much difference compared with the prothane unit, glad I did because!!
VIBRATIONS ARE GONE!!!! YES!!!!

I'm going to take that prothane mount out back and pump some 7.62X39mm into it!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks for all your help and input guys!

Bryan
Old 10-25-2006, 02:57 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

but I wanted to check to see if the stock transmission mount would make that much difference compared with the prothane unit,
The vibes mellow out after a while. I too was completely shocked the first time I ran a poly mount ( third gen ) but they do soften up and if you drive hard your gonna eat up stock mounts like crazy.

Quick Reply: Ls7/ls2 Clutch Install,now Vibrations!