Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Street racing in IL=revoked licence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street racing in IL=revoked licence?

one of my buddies told me a street racing ticket means they revoke your licence? anyone know more about this?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that to im gonna have to ask my mom she's a state trooper.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

last I knew it was just an average suspension course maybe it depends on how fast you were going too. But I knew a guy who was drag racing and he just got his license suspended for a few months not revoked. And one night a few months back, I was drag racing and messed up and did a lot more because of sheer stupidity and I still didn't get mine revoked, just suspended. And that included drag racing and fleeing and eluding.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
JUICED96Z

In Indpls depending were its at and the cop you are going its a trip to jail and they tow your car, at the very least its points and a huge ticket. Almost positive you also loose your liscence for a while now.
Most areas are really cracking down.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In IL, they CAN revoke it, send you to jail for at least a year, and impound and keep your car. That is pretty much the worst they can do, depending on the specific county and your record. If it is your first major offense (drag racing is considered a class C mismemeanor), you can usually get away with a 3 month suspension of your license, court supervision, and a fine. That is the norm. The drag racing ticket is $1,000 & impound fine is $500 plus storage which is around $75 a day. (again, depending on the county). Not to mention most tack on more moving violations like reckless driving, improper lane usage, failure to reduce speed, etc. Plus the non movers like illegal tires, exhaust, etc. It is rather costly. Ask me how I know...

This is taken right from the IL law:

(625 ILCS 5/11‑504) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑504)
Sec. 11‑504. Drag racing. Any person who, as an operator of a motor vehicle, is convicted of being a participant in drag racing shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor, and the driver's license of such person shall be revoked in the manner provided by Section 6‑205.
"Drag racing" means the act of 2 or more individuals competing or racing on any street or highway in this State in a situation in which one of the motor vehicles is beside or to the rear of a motor vehicle operated by a competing driver and the one driver attempts to prevent the competing driver from passing or overtaking, either by acceleration or maneuver, or one or more individuals competing in a race against time on any street or highway in this State.
(Source: P.A. 83‑831.)

Last edited by Matt D; 03-12-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Import Patrol

I got busted a few years back in chicago for drag racing. And I got arrested, he let my passenger drive my car (following him to the police department). I got out on a I-bond.

When it came to court I did a plea bargain, and got

6 months supervision
$150.00 fine
4 hours traffic school

Not suspension, or revoked lic
Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 PM
JUICED96Z

Do it in California and the smog police get ya.
Saw a think on MTV's True Life and I don't think the kid was even racing yet, cops shut it down and they checked everything from his CAI to his ride height.

Had a NASTY ticket when they were done with him lol.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Import Patrol

From what I heard, you get caught street racing. They take your car, and you don't get it back.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know in ohio, atleast where i live, if you get a ticket, its a instant revoked liscense for I think 90 days. A fewof my buddies had it happen to them. Not even street racing. Just normal speeding tickets.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for all the feedback
Old 03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CrawlinWS6
From what I heard, you get caught street racing. They take your car, and you don't get it back.
Yeah they go even as far to Crush the car so no one gets it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Motorboater

I got one a few years ago. no arrest, no impound, just the tickets.
brought a lawyer to court, I got away with like 150 fine and 12 months of supervision and that was it. could have been alot worse.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

what kind of communist **** is that?? how the hell can they just take your car from you and not give it back?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by goodrich969
I know in ohio, atleast where i live, if you get a ticket, its a instant revoked liscense for I think 90 days. A fewof my buddies had it happen to them. Not even street racing. Just normal speeding tickets.
Is OH really that gay?

A simple speeding ticket and they lose their license?

When did OH become the USSR?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Is OH really that gay?

A simple speeding ticket and they lose their license?

When did OH become the USSR?
They are ******* ***** over there I was visiting a buddy from the USMC one weekend and I got nabbed for speeding and received a ticket which I admit I was speeding and deserved it but the cop hands me the ticket and I had 6 days to pay the fine or show up to jail I was broke as **** too.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Launching!

I'm sure if you hire a lawyer you'll end up keeping your car and just pay some fines with supervision on top of it all.....It would be just crazy for them to take your car away for good.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Government has too much control... they won't let up til we all drive Geo Metros lol. or maybe we should just keep racing at the track?
I know when I had my 99 Trans Am I was racing a lt1 and got busted in the act and the 12 points the ticket carries took my DL away.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

all of us know that street racing is not safe. MattD said it right!! You can get into a lot of trouble. So be extremely smart about it. Take it to an old country road!! Dont have a ton of people with watching as spectators. That just attracts more attention and a higher chance of some one getting hurt. Plus spectators are always ******* stupid, they stand right on the road, even at RSD their dumbass's stand on the track!

as long as the government knows that street racing tickets are a money generator for the state and township. The fines and disciplinary action will continue to increase especially if pissed off parents keep scraping their dead kids up off the street, from a street race gone bad.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah my friend Jake got his Talon taken away to never see it again. When I got arrested for street racing and a lot more the cops kept threatening that I wouldn't get it back but luckily I used to live right across the street from the DA so he told me he'd let me have it back. So yeah, I lucked out. But after I got arrested all the city cops were like, "God your stupid, don't you know that street racing is supposed to be done out in the country." I mean I can understand if someone else said that, but cops telling me that it's ok as long as I do it in the country. C'mon they're idiots. Not to mention the cop asked why I had an intake and muffler sitting in the trunk. Well obviously I planned on putting them on the car.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are quite a few instances where the cops have been cool and let everyone go. Certain cities/townships are stricter than others, but it's not worth it to find out. I have too much to lose nowadays to ever race again on the street.

Quick Reply: Street racing in IL=revoked licence?