Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine is looking to get a weekend toy and came across this on ebay. I'm just wondering if they is a good deal and if anyone knows who owns this car. It looks pretty good other than the fact it's an autobox....

http://tinyurl.com/bmu3v3

- Ryan
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

IMHO thats too much money for that car. If he is looking for something rare, then sure, its fine, but if he wants a toy, you can get an LS1 car for less then that in nice shape.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I know who owns that car. Where is Nate at so he can confirm. Oh Nate...

Regardless you are paying for rarity of the car. Love that car no doubt, but if just looking for a toy to play with find something cheaper for an LT1 or get a nice used LS1 for that price.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I'm searching for some imput on a new car this year. Well it won't be brand new. I have never road raced but would like to get into it. My current car will soon be a nearly drag setup car.

So I will be searching for a vehicle that I can DAILY drive, do well on a road course, and hopefully get decent gas mileage. I'm looking in the $12-14 grand range. With that being said do you guys have any suggestions?? 98-99 vettes are coming down to that price range. There's always an option of another f-body or possibly a mustang. Pondered maybe a 350Z, Neon, or WRX. I would actually prefer to stay around 2002 or older for the insurance and license factors.

Again any suggestion would help. I'm sure there are many cars I have not even thought about. Also donations will not be refused
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3fourty6
Hey guys, I'm searching for some imput on a new car this year. Well it won't be brand new. I have never road raced but would like to get into it. My current car will soon be a nearly drag setup car.

So I will be searching for a vehicle that I can DAILY drive, do well on a road course, and hopefully get decent gas mileage. I'm looking in the $12-14 grand range. With that being said do you guys have any suggestions?? 98-99 vettes are coming down to that price range. There's always an option of another f-body or possibly a mustang. Pondered maybe a 350Z, Neon, or WRX. I would actually prefer to stay around 2002 or older for the insurance and license factors.

Again any suggestion would help. I'm sure there are many cars I have not even thought about. Also donations will not be refused
As far as road racing and daily driving I think it would be hard to beat the WRX. Subaru makes some very nice cars and as far as winter weather goes AWD is a blessing. 350Z's are just uncomfortable if you're somewhat tall and I won't start on neons because the list is too long. IS300's are also very comfortable and look really nice. Currently i'm swapping a 2JZ-GTE into my IS300 to take to some road courses this summer. As for domestic cars I can't think of any I'd really enjoy daily driving with snow.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

That new WRX looks like a lot of fun. Of course if I tried that stuff that they do on TV I would probly have some broken parts. I never really cared for the looks of the older ones though. There's something about a pearl white 350Z with a nice set of rims that makes me drool. I know a neon just seems to be a neon and they sure are holding their value it seems like. Of course I have never driven or rode in any of these. So a test drive could quickly change my thoughts.

The IS300's are a nice looking car. When it comes to a luxury vehicle I have had nothing but problems with them. It's never anything big but just small things that really add up quickly.

I have had two mustangs that I drove year round and was impressed with how well I got around in them in winter. Now with an f-body........ no way! Of course if everything goes as planned I may be moving south anyways. So snow would be minimal.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My dad is selling his 97' C5 6speed vette. Has 62K miles on it. Although I don't think you will want to daily drive that in Iowa Winters....
Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well I would still have my beater corsica I could drive if I had to. Pretty sure if I buy a any kind of nicer vehicle I will not want to drive it in these crappy winters. I'm moving south too most likely so winter will not be as harsh.

Do you got a link or pics of that vette with a price darkhalf?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A C5 with the right suspension (Z51 or modified) is an excellent handling platform. Totally different league than the F-bodies I have owned. I've seen the white '97 Dark is mentioning several times and is great shape. Very well maintained.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have test drove a vette and was very impressed in the handling of it. It was a non z51 and bone stock. Was also an auto too so really felt like a turd but yeah handling was an amazing difference to my TA.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

At the prices alot of high mileage C5's are going for, it would be hard to beat one of those. In stock form they handle great.

You can find a cheaper high mileage ls1 f-body and do some suspension mods, and it might surprise you what it can do too. I was amazed when I went from my stock suspension 94 Z28, to my current ride, it was a night and day difference. Hell, I thought I might have to push you through a few of those corners on Cruise to the woods But you can wrap up quite a bit of money in suspension mods really fast in a F-body.

I've driven a few WRX's, I kinda like them, call me weird. There isn't a whole lot of room in it (I'm 6'4", and not the skinniest guy). But with the all wheel drive, they are a blast even in bad weather. I've considered them for a daily driver.

I drove a SRT neon once when they first came out. I was impressed for a neon, I think I just about made the 60+ year old sales guy have a heart attack. I never really played with the handling or anything, just kinda did the typical beat on a new car thing.

Honestly, just to be a dick, I have to throw the Cobalt SS into the mix. The older supercharged ones 06' vintage are coming down in price, I've seen one around 12k in Ames. I know the turbo ones are better, but still. They don't handle that bad, and there is starting to be a decent aftermarket for them. I know 99C5JA (Joel) wants one too. I've driven an 06 when the first came out. I actually drove it the same day I drove the SRT, and I liked the Cobalt better. Now the Cobalt's being turbo, with more power, would blow a SRT away.

Personally, I want to get a 06ish Mega Cab Cummins truck, and do a twins setup. But I push alot of snow and haul boats around.

Nate-
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, I hope Josh, doesn't get upset... but here are pics of said 97' Vette.
It's Josh's dad's car. Absolutely incredibly well taken care of, not like most 97's
Nate-
Attached Thumbnails Iowa Fastest Cars?-p1010035-medium-.jpg   Iowa Fastest Cars?-p5170002-medium-.jpg   Iowa Fastest Cars?-vettecar7-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Does he have a price in mind for the vette?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Hey guys I posted my gto for sale here is a link to it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...nch-motor.html
Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Lot of money in that goat! Well worth the money. That vette is very sharp, gotta love white. Thanks for the imput screamer. I've always loved the C5 styling and I am afraid that with another f-body will come big dollar suspension upgrades. Though it would be sweet to have a TA and a Camaro.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you got a link or pics of that vette with a price darkhalf?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...e-6-speed.html
Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Woah those are some old pics Nate
Old 02-08-2009, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot of money in that goat! Well worth the money. That vette is very sharp, gotta love white. Thanks for the imput screamer. I've always loved the C5 styling and I am afraid that with another f-body will come big dollar suspension upgrades. Though it would be sweet to have a TA and a Camaro.
My buddy owns an 07 cobalt ss. I thats little car shocked the hell out of my when he let me drive it. I would recomend testing one of those out. His as the little spoiler so its not rediculous looking blows my cars handling our of the water.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think you could go wrong with a WRX as far as an all season package. I have a Saturn Ion Redline for a DD, which has the same platform and supercharged four cylinder as the Cobalt SS. Nice Recaro seats and loaded. Its a good driver, gets 30 hwy/low 20's city, and it runs really hard for a little four banger. Stole mine for well under 8 grand with 37,000 miles on it.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the latest small car shoot out in Motor Trend the Cobalt SS was the fastest around the track. It beat the 2nd place car, the WRX, by 2 seconds. Front wheel drive would do fine in the winter. And it's a domestic, which to me is a plus.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?