Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_82
Yeah that was me. The truck is a little different now, lowered some and now is caged but it's still the same engine, I managed to get the thing into the 9's finally. Not bad for a dinosaur engine. Hope to see you out next year.

BTW: are you a member of s10v8.com?
i seen the video of it. Did you go with a different rearend? I don't think that 10 bolt can handle how your launching it. How much nitrous did you spray to get in the 9's? The rear in ours is about our last weak link. It will probably get full out tubbed next winter. I've been on s10v8.com and v8s10.org but not a member, just use them for information.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I agree with what Mr. Burnout wrote below: And FWIW, it's not the front cross bar, it's the side bars that are required that can crack your head. You'll also need a dash bar, really, so keep in mind you may have to lose your HVAC stuff.
The only time you need a dash bar is when the firewall and/or floor pan has been modified (cut/replaced with sheetmetal).

My car doesn't have a dash bar and the cage is certified to 8.50.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

I'm no expert, but I thought cages required a halo. I also thought they couldn't have swing-outs either.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
I'm no expert, but I thought cages required a halo. I also thought they couldn't have swing-outs either.
well, your right. but you can build a cage two different ways. one with a main hoop and a "[" shaped halo above and two seperate a-pillar bars. or one with a main hoop then a bar that follows the top of the door, down the a-pillar to the floor and then a spreader bar above the windshield. I recommend the 2nd style, because you can tuck the bars alot closer to the body.

You can have swing out's, but they will hinder your chassis certification. you can still get a cert but it will be way slower.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have figured out a new rear end for the RX7.

C4 Corvette Dana 36. If all works out I'll have one here modified for the RX7 rear half shafts. I'll have to shorten the "batwing" rear mounts a bit and build front/rear mounts into the chassis for it, but that's no biggie.

Who does everyone deal with for driveshafts? I'll have to have a custom one made as my current setup will be about 5-6" too short.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
The only time you need a dash bar is when the firewall and/or floor pan has been modified (cut/replaced with sheetmetal).

My car doesn't have a dash bar and the cage is certified to 8.50.
If you don't have a dash bar, you'd need a bar across the top of the windshield then, no? If not, how are you tying your disparate cage sides together?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
8 Second Club

If you don't have a dash bar, you'd need a bar across the top of the windshield then, no? If not, how are you tying your disparate cage sides together?
On a 10 point (cert to 8.50) you have to have a windshield bar no matter what linking between the 2 a-pillars. I was just saying that you don't have to have a DASH bar unless you have a modified floor/firewall.

Nobody does 'halo' bars anymore.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrburnout81
I would recommend putting in the bar above the windshield running between the down bars. If your not going to put that bar or a dash bar in, the front down bars and not doing much. just extra weight. they will just fold in without any support in a crash. are you going to use chromoly?
A "windshield" bar and a "dash" bar are not required in an 8 pt cage. I by no means want to go 8 point, but since it's mandatory for the speeds I'll be trapping, I want to do it with the fewest amount of bars possible. If anything I might tie into the to front down bars off of where the diagonal door bars meet the floor to strengthen it up there. I'll be using mild steel for it, unless CM has come down a bit in price. (not overly concerned about adding a few pounds in MS compared to CM)

I agree with what Mr. Burnout wrote below: And FWIW, it's not the front cross bar, it's the side bars that are required that can crack your head. You'll also need a dash bar, really, so keep in mind you may have to lose your HVAC stuff.
Don't need a dash bar, or a windshield bar, just the 2 front down bars (which are required to be wrapped in SFI approved foam padding). My head hits the curved part of the roof, right above the window, as is. So I would crack my head regardless. Having the bar that goes above the door/window is actually going to reduce the blow to my head if I were in a side collision. (Think Newton's second law, where distance is as dependent on momentum as momentum seems to be dependent on distance, where a certan distance will only net so much momentum. Less distance = less momentum = less head ache .)

How do you get out of the car in a hurry if a 5 pt harness is holding you in place?
I dn't think you were ever in the Civic, which had 4 pt harnesses. Buckling up took maybe 10 seconds, and releasing the buckle could be done with 1 finger. IMO it's easier to get out of a harness than it is to get out of a seat belt. But then again, I'm a very nimble, agile creature

And, not sure if you've noticed but Nick is a tall guy. The FD has no headroom. Your head will be 3-4" from the bar no matter what. You can move that much, even in a harness, in an accident. No biggie if you have a helmet and neck pad on. Not so good without them.

No argument, we all do, but I don't see the point of unnecessary risk, personally. The level that we're playing out now walks that fine line between street car and race car, for sure.

I suppose if every time you get in/out of the vehicle, you (and your passenger) fully cinch your 5 point (and you have to fully/properly cinch it or you're wasting your time), you're less likely to hit your head. I personally wouldn't drive a fully caged car without a harness, and I wouldn't drive in a harness without a fire suppression system with at least one nozzle in the driver's compartment, one nozzle on the fuel system and one-two nozzles in the bay.

Not my car, and I'm certainly not one to dissuade someone from safety equipment, but once you take the step to a cage, you don't have a street car. You can't jump in and take a ride; you have systems to check each/every time you get in it. The simple minute or two it takes to cinch up and set your harnesses would annoy me to no end.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic, just giving my .02. I won't be riding in this car without a helmet on.
I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, as I disagree with about 90% of that.

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
Halo's are not required and swing-outs are legal to 8.50 if done to meet specs. They outline all the requirements in the rulebook on page 44-45.

I could be totally wrong on the 'halo' bar, but unless I totally missed something, the rule book doesn't state anywhere that one is needed (that don't mention it at all):
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sport...C_Rulebook.pdf

Last edited by The Beast; 11-17-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i seen the video of it. Did you go with a different rearend? I don't think that 10 bolt can handle how your launching it. How much nitrous did you spray to get in the 9's? The rear in ours is about our last weak link. It will probably get full out tubbed next winter. I've been on s10v8.com and v8s10.org but not a member, just use them for information.

It manages to run in the 9's on a 150 shot with a super conservative tune, pulling 8* of timing and activating the n2o 1 tenth after wot at 10% and ramping it to 100% in 1.90 seconds. This was at greasy muncie, It runs better at other tracks, and can handle alot more spray.

The rear is a home-built ford 9 now.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Teching In

It manages to run in the 9's on a 150 shot with a super conservative tune, pulling 8* of timing and activating the n2o 1 tenth after wot at 10% and ramping it to 100% in 1.90 seconds. This was at greasy muncie, It runs better at other tracks, and can handle alot more spray.

The rear is a home-built ford 9 now.
He means 9's in the 1/8th but I'm sure you all knew this.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More cage stuff . . .

Nick, I'm a bit confused on the cage that you want to build, I may be wrong but I thought that 8pt cages didn't have full bars that outlined the top of the door and a-pilliar. I thought they looked like this, (pic attached)(left cage)

Blake, I know that you were talking about the top drivers door bar or left portion of the halo bar as well as the front, It would still be almost impossible for me to hit my head on it , I positioned the seats low and the bottom seat portion is recessed down. I'm tall and my head is a good 4-5 inches away. I dont know how the rx7's cages are but padding would be a must on anything close to your brain bucket.

I put a 12pt cage in the dime because I wanted to, and out of necessity. I modified my firewall, and because I knew I wanted to run at least 9's. I run in NMCA events and they tech your car, if you run faster than your certified then your done, It would be a real bummer to have to pack it up everytime you went too fast.

I'm not trying to push anybody into one cage or the other, all I'm saying is I don't think they're all that bad on the street. It does suck having to strap in and do your checklist everytime you want to drive, but I guess that comes with the territory.
Attached Thumbnails Another Hall's deal!!!-cage-pic-2.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Cages are gay. Everyone should be more like tony.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Cages are gay huh?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish that was an 8 point, but the NHRA diagram shows otherwise. Upon further discussion and colaborating, I'm going to try my luck with a 6 point (maybe an 8 point like Chris posted above) with dual swing outs. If I get booted from an actual nice track (read: anywhere but Muncie) I'll extend it to be an 8.50 legal cage.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Beast
A "windshield" bar and a "dash" bar are not required in an 8 pt cage. I by no means want to go 8 point, but since it's mandatory for the speeds I'll be trapping, I want to do it with the fewest amount of bars possible. If anything I might tie into the to front down bars off of where the diagonal door bars meet the floor to strengthen it up there.

Don't need a dash bar, or a windshield bar, just the 2 front down bars (which are required to be wrapped in SFI approved foam padding).
I guarantee something has to cross between the two down bars on the NHRA style 8 point. Otherwise there is no structural support there (as Ponyhuntr stated). I paid enough attention in engineering class to be 100% sure here. You may not be seeing it in the pictures, but it is there.

My head hits the curved part of the roof, right above the window, as is. So I would crack my head regardless. Having the bar that goes above the door/window is actually going to reduce the blow to my head if I were in a side collision. (Think Newton's second law, where distance is as dependent on momentum as momentum seems to be dependent on distance, where a certan distance will only net so much momentum. Less distance = less momentum = less head ache .)
Roll cage is much, much harder than what is there right now. I dig the momentum bit, but 3x terminal momentum with 2" less travel distance is still terminal.

I dn't think you were ever in the Civic, which had 4 pt harnesses. Buckling up took maybe 10 seconds, and releasing the buckle could be done with 1 finger. IMO it's easier to get out of a harness than it is to get out of a seat belt. But then again, I'm a very nimble, agile creature
I fear Hondas.

You can get out of a seat belt without unhooking it. You can't do that with a harness, even a quick release. Seat belts are designed with that in mind for good reason, I promise.

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, as I disagree with about 90% of that.
On the bright side, if you only disagree with 90% of what I said, you're only like 85% wrong (I'll give that I could be 5% wrong) I kid...

Halo's are not required and swing-outs are legal to 8.50 if done to meet specs. They outline all the requirements in the rulebook on page 44-45.

I could be totally wrong on the 'halo' bar, but unless I totally missed something, the rule book doesn't state anywhere that one is needed (that don't mention it at all):
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sport...C_Rulebook.pdf
[/quote]

I'm doing a bad thing by saying "halo" all the time. You need bars along the roof on both sides and a bar crossing between them for strength. Once upon a time that was done with all one piece and called a halo. I keep saying that even though it's not technically accurate now. My bad.

Nick, I'm a bit confused on the cage that you want to build, I may be wrong but I thought that 8pt cages didn't have full bars that outlined the top of the door and a-pilliar. I thought they looked like this, (pic attached)(left cage)
NHRA doesn't require the diagonals present in most other cages. With no diagonals the door/apillar bars make it 8 points. My main hoop + down bars + door bars is 10.0 legal and only has 5 points.

Blake, I know that you were talking about the top drivers door bar or left portion of the halo bar as well as the front, It would still be almost impossible for me to hit my head on it , I positioned the seats low and the bottom seat portion is recessed down. I'm tall and my head is a good 4-5 inches away. I dont know how the rx7's cages are but padding would be a must on anything close to your brain bucket.
Agreed, but keep in mind, the RX7 is already a rolling casket. There is only a few inches of head clearance to tbe body WITHOUT a cage in those things. Your truck is HUGE comparatively.

I put a 12pt cage in the dime because I wanted to, and out of necessity. I modified my firewall, and because I knew I wanted to run at least 9's. I run in NMCA events and they tech your car, if you run faster than your certified then your done, It would be a real bummer to have to pack it up everytime you went too fast.
I'm with you, and if Nick was planning to compete with this car, I'd have a totally different opinion. For a street car that you make passes in for fun, a full, sanction legal cage is overkill. I don't know any tracks that will throw you out of a test and tune for a 9.75 or 143-144 mph with a 10.0/135 mph legal cage in it. At a sanction event, yes. TnT, no.

I'm not trying to push anybody into one cage or the other, all I'm saying is I don't think they're all that bad on the street. It does suck having to strap in and do your checklist everytime you want to drive, but I guess that comes with the territory.
To be clear, the only thing that I get sticky on is a pillar bars that come anywhere near the head in a street car. It's unnecessary danger and can/will kill you if you kit wrong. The RX7 is tiny inside, I hit my head on the BACK bar of my rollbar now and redid my seat layout to make sure I can't do that in an accident. A cage should keep you safer, not put you in more risk. Sorry to preach, but I grew up hanging out with professional racers and have had this **** indoctrinated in me. Even if no one listens, at least I get to say "told you so".
Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

I may have figured out a new rear end for the RX7.

C4 Corvette Dana 36. If all works out I'll have one here modified for the RX7 rear half shafts. I'll have to shorten the "batwing" rear mounts a bit and build front/rear mounts into the chassis for it, but that's no biggie.

Who does everyone deal with for driveshafts? I'll have to have a custom one made as my current setup will be about 5-6" too short.
There is a guy named Gene who we built an engine for his CTS-V that has a Maggie on it. He has a modified C4 rear in his V and he tore it up pretty bad at the track. He is going to swap it out for a nine inch. Your car is going to be a lot lighter, but you're going to be making a lot more power. I'd hate to see you put money into it and end up tearing it up. We used an 8.8 in this RX7. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=22

Fort Wayne Clutch can build you one, or you could go with one of the 3.5" Alum PST driveshafts like the ones we sell. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=827 There is a chart where we use the x dimension to get the length. Pm "Azar" to see what he can knock off the price if you're interested. Bob
Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dark_02wrx
Cages are gay. Everyone should be more like tony.
And get kicked ot with a quickness? No thanks.

Poor guy. I'd be pissed if I drove all the way to Indy, paid to race, and got the boot for not having a cage.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

This is the style of cage that needs to go into your car beast.

this is a cage in a mustang but you get the idea

Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guarantee something has to cross between the two down bars on the NHRA style 8 point. Otherwise there is no structural support there (as Ponyhuntr stated). I paid enough attention in engineering class to be 100% sure here. You may not be seeing it in the pictures, but it is there.
Since when is the NHRA rule book a picture book? If I buy the actual physical book, is it a pop up book?

Roll cage is much, much harder than what is there right now. I dig the momentum bit, but 3x terminal momentum with 2" less travel distance is still terminal.
I'm going to call this one a lose/lose situation.

I fear Hondas.

You can get out of a seat belt without unhooking it. You can't do that with a harness, even a quick release. Seat belts are designed with that in mind for good reason, I promise.
I'm easily entangled by the looping shape of the common seat belt. The other day, getting out of my vehicle on the way to class, the seat belt got wrapped around my neck and nearly choked me to death. **** was intense!!! Might just be a personal problem though

On the bright side, if you only disagree with 90% of what I said, you're only like 85% wrong (I'll give that I could be 5% wrong) I kid...
I'm a better dancer than you:

You, sir, just got served

Last edited by The Beast; 11-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the style of cage that needs to go into your car beast.

this is a cage in a mustang but you get the idea

Perfect! That's exactly what I meant. Now remember that compared to an FD, the Fox Mustang is approximately the size of a bus inside.

Since when is the NHRA rule book a picture book? If I buy the actual physical book, is it a pop up book?
It has diagrams. We'll leave it the jury on if a diagram equals a picture. Pop up version is extra, just paypal me the money and I'll send it over.

I'm going to call this one a lose/lose situation.
Technically, the rollcage wins and your skull loses.

I got nothing for that.

I'm a better dancer than you:

You, sir, just got served
Your picture doesn't work. Served = you.

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!