Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bling, bling.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why is SDB banned?
How was the racing today? Did you end up going Nate?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Teching In

hmmm...so yeah, how would you feel about powder coating some valve covers for me? i hate the stock ls motor valve covers, i think they look like dog crap.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

J-Rod can powdercoat, I don't have an oven/kit yet. Hopefully will soon though.

And I agree, they do look like dog crap.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone interested in buying the SS let me know, first $18,000 takes it.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Darrin, Why?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Between my Mother being ill (in and out of the Hospital )recently, my back and also having the flu last week, I missed to many days during my probationary period at Parkview so they terminated my employment this afternoon.

NO JOB+ NO MONEY= NO NEED FOR A CAR.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that man.

I'll keep my ears out for anyone looking.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Sorry to hear that man.

I'll keep my ears out for anyone looking.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS1875
Between my Mother being ill (in and out of the Hospital )recently, my back and also having the flu last week, I missed to many days during my probationary period at Parkview so they terminated my employment this afternoon.

NO JOB+ NO MONEY= NO NEED FOR A CAR.
Man that sucks, life hasn't been very kind to you lately! If I hear of anyone looking for a clean SS, I'll let you know. Bob
Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

A message from SDB:

tell LS!tech crew I got banned cause I told a moderator to suck my dick and I would come and kick his *** if he gave me his address

i told some ******** his car was overpriced and he told an admin/moderator...he told me not to do it, I told him to feast on my ****
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrburnout81
Hey, I'm sure I have a copy of the rule book. I can copy some pages and email them to ya. If you need any help with the cage just let me know. By the way, are you planning on using chromoly? With what you have built so far, I think it would be very wise on using it.
Thanks man, I got ahold of an online version.

NHRA legal for 10.0:

5 point, main hoop with two downbars to rear of car and a driver's side door bar. No diagonal crossbracing required. If tubes do not end on a frame rail, you must use a 6" square spreader plate welded (or bolted with a reinforcing plate on the opposite side of the body).

My cage was built to exactly meet 10.0 specs and has been through NHRA tech inspection, for a point of reference.

I'm fairly certain I'll be going faster than 10.0 or 135mph
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Beast
I'm fairly certain I'll be going faster than 10.0 or 135mph
Then build a race car.

You're a good friend of mine, it'd suck if you died. Don't drive a car with a halo on the street. Faster than 10.0 (up to 7.50) requires a full halo and front down bars to be legal. I guess you can if you want to, just wear a helmet every time you drive it...

Have you ever sat in an RX7 with a halo in it? It sucks...

Oh, and don't forget you'll need a rear cut off switch (like mine) and a full window net... Also need an NHRA Comp license and you'll have to get that cage certified by NHRA tech every three years.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody have the latest edition of the NHRA rule book that I could take a look at? I'm putting an 8 point cage in my car and need to see what the requirements are
Then build a race car.

You're a good friend of mine, it'd suck if you died. Don't drive a car with a halo on the street. Faster than 10.0 (up to 7.50) requires a full halo and front down bars to be legal. I guess you can if you want to, just wear a helmet every time you drive it...

Oh, and don't forget you'll need a rear cut off switch (like mine) and a full window net... Also need an NHRA Comp license and you'll have to get that cage certified by NHRA tech every three years.
It's just an 8 point, no need for a full halo, or a dash bar, or even a bar going across by the roof/windshield, just the 2 front down bars. It wouldn't be any more convienient/inconvienient then the one I had in the Civic or the one you have in the RX7. (It'll actually be more convienient a'la swing outs) Chris has a 12 point cage in the s10.

Don't forget a fire jacket (and I believe they changed it to pants now as well)

Here's the rule book. Cages start on pg 42:
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sport...C_Rulebook.pdf

Last edited by The Beast; 11-16-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Then build a race car.

...How would you die if a 5pt harness is holding you in place...?

I guess if Hulk grabbed your *** and ripped you out of your seat its possible?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cage on the street

I don't want this to be an argument cause that's not what i'm trying to do.
I can see blake's point on how a halo bar would be dangerous without a helmet. But we all take risks, honestly look at the type of cars we build, If we were truely concerned about safety then we would drive volvos and minivans with side-curtain airbags.

You have to wear your harness in order for the cage to do it's job. I would have a hard time bashing my head into the halo bars during an accident I would need to be torn from the seat/harnesses, hitting the main hoop is more likely. The most dangerous hit (that I can see) would be a drivers door collision, this would cause your head to possibly hit the main hoop, and most likely break your arm against the door bar. You could pad those areas to soften the blow.

We know what nicks car will be capable of, and we all know some street races will take place, That much power on those little tires at high speed is gonna be a handful, A full cage would and does make me feel safer. that's all im trying to say. We all take risks

If you ask me it's those bike guys that are the craziest, no cage, no seatbelts, no nothin (beast)
Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=The Beast;12510024]It's just an 8 point, no need for a full halo, or a dash bar, or even a bar going across by the roof/windshield, just the 2 front down bars. It wouldn't be any more convienient/inconvienient then the one I had in the Civic or the one you have in the RX7. (It'll actually be more convienient a'la swing outs) Chris has a 12 point cage in the s10.

[QUOTE]

I would recommend putting in the bar above the windshield running between the down bars. If your not going to put that bar or a dash bar in, the front down bars and not doing much. just extra weight. they will just fold in without any support in a crash. are you going to use chromoly?

Last edited by mrburnout81; 11-16-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

hey silver, i think it was your s10 that i was doing some playing with on lima road a few years back. I was in a primered grey s10 with a 350 in it. big cowl hood, roll pan. nothing special. just wondered if your the same guy. our s10 is getting a few upgrades now has a 383 with a tunnel ram, dual 650's, fenderwell headers. hopefully we will have it out next spring.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey silver, i think it was your s10 that i was doing some playing with on lima road a few years back. I was in a primered grey s10 with a 350 in it. big cowl hood, roll pan. nothing special. just wondered if your the same guy. our s10 is getting a few upgrades now has a 383 with a tunnel ram, dual 650's, fenderwell headers. hopefully we will have it out next spring.
Yeah that was me. The truck is a little different now, lowered some and now is caged but it's still the same engine, I managed to get the thing into the 9's finally. Not bad for a dinosaur engine. Hope to see you out next year.

BTW: are you a member of s10v8.com?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's just an 8 point, no need for a full halo, or a dash bar, or even a bar going across by the roof/windshield, just the 2 front down bars. It wouldn't be any more convienient/inconvienient then the one I had in the Civic or the one you have in the RX7
I agree with what Mr. Burnout wrote below: And FWIW, it's not the front cross bar, it's the side bars that are required that can crack your head. You'll also need a dash bar, really, so keep in mind you may have to lose your HVAC stuff.

I would recommend putting in the bar above the windshield running between the down bars. If your not going to put that bar or a dash bar in, the front down bars and not doing much. just extra weight. they will just fold in without any support in a crash.
Originally Posted by Lunatic5oh

...How would you die if a 5pt harness is holding you in place...?
How do you get out of the car in a hurry if a 5 pt harness is holding you in place?

And, not sure if you've noticed but Nick is a tall guy. The FD has no headroom. Your head will be 3-4" from the bar no matter what. You can move that much, even in a harness, in an accident. No biggie if you have a helmet and neck pad on. Not so good without them.

Originally Posted by silver_82
I don't want this to be an argument cause that's not what i'm trying to do.
I can see blake's point on how a halo bar would be dangerous without a helmet. But we all take risks, honestly look at the type of cars we build, If we were truely concerned about safety then we would drive volvos and minivans with side-curtain airbags.
No argument, we all do, but I don't see the point of unnecessary risk, personally. The level that we're playing out now walks that fine line between street car and race car, for sure.

I suppose if every time you get in/out of the vehicle, you (and your passenger) fully cinch your 5 point (and you have to fully/properly cinch it or you're wasting your time), you're less likely to hit your head. I personally wouldn't drive a fully caged car without a harness, and I wouldn't drive in a harness without a fire suppression system with at least one nozzle in the driver's compartment, one nozzle on the fuel system and one-two nozzles in the bay.

Not my car, and I'm certainly not one to dissuade someone from safety equipment, but once you take the step to a cage, you don't have a street car. You can't jump in and take a ride; you have systems to check each/every time you get in it. The simple minute or two it takes to cinch up and set your harnesses would annoy me to no end.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic, just giving my .02. I won't be riding in this car without a helmet on.

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!