Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

you marine guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you marine guys

Well as of right now i'm DEP until I graduate highschool (Junior in highschool now), and about a month after I graduate I plan on enlisting, supposedly I guess I'll be headed to Paris Island since I live in Alabama, who knows though..But anyways, i'll be going in as 0311. Will I have much of an opportunity of keeping the car with me after I get out of basic and SOI? Recruiter told me that the marines in general do a tour of 7months and then rotate, anyone chime in on this and correct? How have you guys done with your cars and is anyone a 0311 with it? Any Advice/Pointers?

Last edited by ckingcmaro; 01-03-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless your joining the Army its bootcamp and SOI (school of infantry). but to answer your question you wont have a problem keeping it with you, but it will have to pass smog to register on a military base, so keep that in mind. there are storage areas on base also so that when you are deployed you wont have to worry about it. they are talking about sending more troops to Iraq so the 7 month rotation may change eventually, but as of now i believe they are on 7 month rotations.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Would the Smog test be with whatever area/state I would be stationed in, or the the Military Bases have their own specifications?? Would this mean I'd have to run Cat's?

How long is the downtime between rotations in general? Or does it change with whatever group you're assigned to?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

well unless you go to cali then i wouldn't worry about smog to much. in nc they just do a visual and now if it's registered in a different state they don't even bother. as far as storage there's storages units get through the traffic managment office for you to store your car, but i would really wouldn't do that cause most of it is outside unless you rent an enclosed storage. once you get to your permant station you can have your car and yes right now my unit is on a 7 and 7, 7 in 7 out. work up keep you busy though. and as a prior 03xx you'll be busy, exciting mos though.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Launching!

What is life like usually on the 7month down-time? What does it consist of, details please?

Sorry if I'm asking alot of newby dumb questions guys, I'm just really excited and would like to know more. I really appreciate you military guys, all of you mean alot to me.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

as an 03xx if you are not deployed you will be doing a work up to deploy which usually means a shitload of time in the field.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Launching!

And what would I be doing in that time specifically? Training-? PT-?Same as basic PT??

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 01-06-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

go to military.com(Marine Corps section) and do a search or ask your questions there. If your going active duty your MOS will be 0300. When you complete SOI they will assign you, your MOS: 0311 Rifleman, 0331 Machine Gunner, 0341 Mortar Man, 0351 Assaultman ,0313 Light Armored Vehicle Crewman, 0352 Antitank Assault Mis
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tranzam01
go to military.com(Marine Corps section) and do a search or ask your questions there. If your going active duty your MOS will be 0300. When you complete SOI they will assign you, your MOS: 0311 Rifleman, 0331 Machine Gunner, 0341 Mortar Man, 0351 Assaultman ,0313 Light Armored Vehicle Crewman, 0352 Antitank Assault Mis
, and you'll be fine keeping your ride.

Also FYI, the "m" in Marine should always be capitolized.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Teching In

As far as bringing your ride, wait until you get out of SOI and into your unit. There are guys there that are willing to help you out. During deployments, either drive your car home and have your family take care of it or indoor storage. The Marine Corps provides a storage lot but I don't recommend using it.

Originally Posted by ckingcmaro
And what would I be doing in that time specifically? Training-? PT-?Same as basic PT??
Depends on what type of deployment you'll be doing. But from what I remeber as an 0311, the predeployment workups usually involve a lot of "foot" movement with some live fire exercises. My advice, don't worry about it and have some fun as a senior.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gatman01
As far as bringing your ride, wait until you get out of SOI and into your unit. There are guys there that are willing to help you out. During deployments, either drive your car home and have your family take care of it or indoor storage. The Marine Corps provides a storage lot but I don't recommend using it.

Depends on what type of deployment you'll be doing. But from what I remeber as an 0311, the predeployment workups usually involve a lot of "foot" movement with some live fire exercises. My advice, don't worry about it and have some fun as a senior.
Thanks for the info. I'm not fully sure how the car storage will be done, I suppose on deployments i'll just have it sent home or drive it home before deployed. Will def. be enjoying senior year, but i'm about as eager to get to this as I was to get my car...Take care guys.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are gonna be a grunt, and are worried about your car, then hope to get stationed in Hawaii...some of the grunts here said the unit hasn't deployed as a whole in decades.

My advice, don't wonder about the Marine Corps life. If you do, you will just get psyched out making expectations for yourself and get bummed. Every command is different, some deploy alot, some don't. My unit (1/12 Arty) is heading out this next week to train with the Army (eh..) in Louisiana. On March 15th, we are slated to head out to the sand box to perform supporting roles involving absolutely nothing we learned in our MOS schools.

Have fun in boot camp.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

My old unit, S 5/10 (Arty) deployed once every other year. Six months in Okinawa and seven in Iraq (as a provisional rifle company). I would reccomend just driving your car home on leave before a deployment. You are pretty much guarenteed a couple weeks of leave before and after a deployment, so it should be easy to keep it with you when you are in the states. One thing you need to remember, and I have seen this so many times with people who just wouldn't listen, is never leave your car with a friend on/near base and definitely not another Marine. I don't care how well you know the guy or how much you trust him, bad things will happen. A close friend of mine left his car with a mutual friend, and when he came back the car had been in two wrecks, one of which was not insignificant. We both had trusted this guy and he didn't even get the insurance information from the other parties.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by msgZ28
My old unit, S 5/10 (Arty) deployed once every other year. Six months in Okinawa and seven in Iraq (as a provisional rifle company). I would reccomend just driving your car home on leave before a deployment. You are pretty much guarenteed a couple weeks of leave before and after a deployment, so it should be easy to keep it with you when you are in the states. One thing you need to remember, and I have seen this so many times with people who just wouldn't listen, is never leave your car with a friend on/near base and definitely not another Marine. I don't care how well you know the guy or how much you trust him, bad things will happen. A close friend of mine left his car with a mutual friend, and when he came back the car had been in two wrecks, one of which was not insignificant. We both had trusted this guy and he didn't even get the insurance information from the other parties.
Appreciate the advice, my plans so far are just driving it home between deployments, it doesn't seem like thats too much of a task, and I enjoy the drives, so I suppose that's what I'll do. I'm just impatient to get there.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 AM
12 Second Club

Why did you pick 0311? Plenty of other good MOS's out there too. For you first couple years your just going to be a bullet sponge.
Yes, I am a wing guy. I have done tours with 3/6 in Afghanistan and Iraq. So I know what its like on the ground side.

You'll have fun. Oh..and no matter how much you prepare for boot camp, it'll still shock ya.

Ski
Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Launching!

03xx is just the MOS that i'd like to be in, just something that interest me, where I feel I can do my best at. When you say Wing, what exactly is your job entail?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Why did you pick 0311? Plenty of other good MOS's out there too. For you first couple years your just going to be a bullet sponge.
Yes, I am a wing guy. I have done tours with 3/6 in Afghanistan and Iraq. So I know what its like on the ground side.

You'll have fun. Oh..and no matter how much you prepare for boot camp, it'll still shock ya.

Ski

and I doubt you know about the ground side
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

03xx is just the MOS that i'd like to be in, just something that interest me, where I feel I can do my best at. When you say Wing, what exactly is your job entail?
he is in the hanus *** air wing. what does it entail? well lets just see

1.First name basis with all other marines
2.Long *** hair
3.Civillian like atmosphere
4.PT most likley consists of ( playing football, basketball, etc.)
5.many of them suffer from dicky-do syndrom ( Where your belly sticks out more than your dicky-do)

Well you get the point lol. If your looking for the best job in the Marine Corps go 03
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Heh, still stuck on 03xx, nothing changing there.

What should I do before boot? Memorize the Values, ect? I'm started DEP now in my Junior year of highschool and after I graduate I will be going straight in, i'm just hoping that I'll be prepared phsyically enough, i'm shooting as high as I can on the PT, 300 , so I know thats gonna be difficult, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

he is in the hanus *** air wing. what does it entail? well lets just see

1.First name basis with all other marines
2.Long *** hair
3.Civillian like atmosphere
4.PT most likley consists of ( playing football, basketball, etc.)
5.many of them suffer from dicky-do syndrom ( Where your belly sticks out more than your dicky-do)

Thats a very bold statement. Having experienced both the ground 0311 MOS and a Wing MOS this is your typical the grunts are better than the airwing statement becasue of x,y,z. There are going to be shitbag Marines wherever you go and young hard chargers who think the ground is better than the air wing and vice versa. Bottom line is do your job to the best of your ability and who gives a **** what other Marines think of your job.

And whoever made the statement that 0311 are bullet sponges, that is just plain ignorant, I hope to God you are not a Marine.

Quick Reply: you marine guys