Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

So Ive been talking to a few recruiters..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So Ive been talking to a few recruiters..

I took an asvab and got a pretty good score (95/99) so I think I can do pretty much anything.

I don't have a college degree. I feel as though I have a damn good head on my shoulders- college just isnt/wasnt the thing for me.

I was looking into army as an air traffic controller (15q)

I just want some clarification- I hear a ton of people say that the Army is the only way to get guaranteed a job.

Now if I enlist for only 48 mos, do I still have some sort of extended service commitment to the military? Nat'l guard said overall its 8 year commitment no matter where I sign up- but they bs'd a lot of ****.

I know Im going to get get a ton of those- "JUST GO FOR IT" type of responses so I mean Ill put this out there- Im not afraid of shooting someone- I dont have any dependents- not married, no serious girlfriend, nothing. I have my family (divorced parents, twin brother and sister) but I mean if I went in- I would want some sort of idea at least what I'd be doing. I had considered going WO flight- I talked to the.. uh? idk what he is- he's in charge of new england flight stuff sounded like, I know that probably doesn't make sense- I just have had an overload of military information in the last few weeks.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

your scores are good enough to do pretty much any job you want in the military. it all depends on what you want. i can't speak for the other branches but in the marine corps you are guaranteed a job field it might not necessarily be the one you want however. for an air traffic controller you could end up with another job within the aviation field. In other words if you sign up for an aviation field, you won't end up as a rifleman. and yes there are 4 years of inactive reserve after you finish 4 years of active duty. basically during the 4 years inactive your a civilian but the military reserves the right to call you back to duty if necessary. if you're undecided about what you want wait until you're 100% sure, it's your life and there's no turning back after you sign.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Join the Air Force, tell them you want to be an air traffic controller and nothing more, if you pass all the tests, basic training, and tech school, youll be a controller. I heard they get one hell of a re-enlistment bonus.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

First off...nice score! Have you considered any other branches? He is correct about the years after your enlistment you will serve as inactive but COULD be called back. That's what the NG meant about 8 years. I was never offered, nor have I heard of a 2 year enlistment.??? I would talk to the recruiters personally. I remember mine told me a bunch of bs, but then the other half he told me was very useful. I'm not exactly sure but I think it also depends on manning when it comes to being guaranteed or not. IF a job such as this is overmanned you may have to do something else but then again this perticular job in the AF I hear is always needing people. So really it's up to you. Once you sign the line...your in. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

look into the Navy they guarantee (sp) the job in writing before you even leave meps. in other words before you leave you have a job in writing before you sign the contract. The army does it as well and the army and navy are the only ones that do do that. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Well see, I want something that has a promising job outlook outside of the military. I chose ATC because it intrigues me and I want a challenging and rewarding job.

I know that about 50% of the ATCs today enployed by the FAA came from some sort of military background, and you can get the training in about 14 weeks through the military vs 4 years in college to make the same $$ figure at the end, except the military you're paid to get trained and whatnot, whereas with college youre in the hole all that money.

I don't think Im the typical 20 year old. I don't really enjoy partying and whatnot and like to have pride in what I do. I just dont want to enlist and then regret it down the road for some reason or another. I have a girl who graduated HS with me who enlisted and signed up to be in HR and she hates it- she wishes she was doing something more active.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

one of my co-worker's husband is an air traffic controller here and he loves it.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
Join the Air Force, tell them you want to be an air traffic controller and nothing more, if you pass all the tests, basic training, and tech school, youll be a controller. I heard they get one hell of a re-enlistment bonus.
not anymore there is really no reenlistment bonus. Well certain jobs there are but very very rare. tech school is not easy for atc my sq in tech school had all the atc people. They all hated it and said it was very hard. Def always studying etc it seemed like. If thats what you want to do good luck. No matter what service you go into as long as your not in a hurry to leave asap go in with a guarranted job. Never go open general, open mechanical etc. Most open general af people get security forces. recruiters might push you to go open general etc but stick to your guns and say the contract you want to sign and will only sign is for this job or for one of these couple of jobs. I waited and went in with a signed contract for my number 2 pic (command post)
Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

How do I get them to guarantee a job in any other branch besides the Army?

I don't want to be general, thats for sure.

Im also not afraid of doing the work. Like I said, Im a decently smart kid I just don't think the whole college thing is my cup of tea. I have a decent job right now as an insurance agent, but its just.. blah.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Ha, some people might not like my opinion but who cares, I'm entitled to it. I say, do NOT join the military. I can't stand it. A lot of stuff my recruiter didn't tell me. It's not worth the bullcrap one has to put up with every day. I'm more than ready to be done with my term. And about a 2 year contract, there is such thing, but it has to be open contract, meaning they can give you whatever job they want. And just as everyone said, if you sign for 4 years you still owe 4 in the IRR. If you don't mind being away from your family a LOT, getting haircuts every single week, not having any freedom, not being treated like a human being until you pick up some rank (E-4 and above), being treated like trash because you're an E-3 and below, field days (cleaning the barracks and your room) EVERY week, people yelling at you for no reason, not having anything to do at work but just "looking busy" for the heck of it, then I say, go for it, it just might be for you. I for one, am ready to get out.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Air National Guard recruiter. When you enlist - you have a guaranteed job in writing, before you ever raise your right arm. Never enlist unless you are getting the job you signed up for.....otherwise - say goodbye....you dont want something in that general area - you want that job, you have the scores for that job.....so go talk to another branch that will put it in writing....do not settle.

About the 8 years, that is correct any branch you sign you will have a 8 year commitment - but only active for the years you sign up......for example...4 years active, 4 year IRR (inactive ready reserve.)

If you have more questions you can call me....i have done active duty (Marine Corps 97-2002 - and Air Guard 2002 - present) and guard.... 309-633-5544 - and dont worry I only recruit people in the state of IL... :-)

Chad
(TSgt Jackson)
Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Ha, some people might not like my opinion but who cares, I'm entitled to it. I say, do NOT join the military. I can't stand it. A lot of stuff my recruiter didn't tell me. It's not worth the bullcrap one has to put up with every day. I'm more than ready to be done with my term. And about a 2 year contract, there is such thing, but it has to be open contract, meaning they can give you whatever job they want. And just as everyone said, if you sign for 4 years you still owe 4 in the IRR. If you don't mind being away from your family a LOT, getting haircuts every single week, not having any freedom, not being treated like a human being until you pick up some rank (E-4 and above), being treated like trash because you're an E-3 and below, field days (cleaning the barracks and your room) EVERY week, people yelling at you for no reason, not having anything to do at work but just "looking busy" for the heck of it, then I say, go for it, it just might be for you. I for one, am ready to get out.
blackhawk,

Sorry the military has not worked out for you the way you wanted.....as for me it is the best decision I have ever made. I have a carrer and the corps was the foundation for everything - it has all carried over and has helped me get to were I am now.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

and thats why they say that the military is not for everyone...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

I tried calling an airforce recruiter and seeing if I could get in as an ATC, they said no go. Navy the same thing..

What should I do?

Just go for the Army?

I mean I have no problem getting my haircut and cleaning every week LOL!

Also- the recruiter said if I get just one person to enlist I can get a higher rank to join with and if I do PT a few times a week I can probably enlist as an E3..
Old 12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
you sound like the awol people we have turn themselves in from the army every couple of months. I love hearing that excuse my recruitter lied to me its great. Yes some will not tell the truth but not all. This person is taking the correct first step by asking questions. My recruiter did not lie to me at all and very few people i talked to since i've been in (1 month short of a year exactly) have been lied to. You can pick your job before leaving for basic you sign a contract it can be open general etc or one saying your job. My contract said 1c3x1. I knew exactly where my job is etc. That being said i waited 5 months for a spot to come avail for my job. Open general i can go to meps pass and leave for basic the next day if all worked out. As far as being under an e-4 i had college so went in as an e-3 and very rarely am i treated any different. I get the same respect from all people. Some of the old timers will say can i speak to your other controller cause they will think that not all airmen will have the answers since we havent been in long and in some aspects they are correct. I speak with e-4's and above all day long. Most of the time its e-6's or above. Also deal with o-6's and above all day long also. I get the same respect as anyone else. just like any job you will have bad bosses here and there. I do not have to get a haircut every week, when i'm not at work i can do whatever i want. Yea once or 2x a year we get a room inspection at my dorm but thats because i'm living in there rooms thats to be expected if your living off base your landlord would probely stop by 1 or 2 times at least to make sure his house is ok. That being said they arent hard they just make sure you dont have old nasty food in your fridge, garage all over your floor etc. Downside to military is double jepordy. You mess up off base well you still fall under the ucmj so you can get jail time etc for a dui and then spend more time in jail cause of the ucmj. I have no compliants about going into the military. I went to college for 2 and a half years and said it wasnt for me wasnt sure what i wanted to do so went into the air force.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Specialized
I tried calling an airforce recruiter and seeing if I could get in as an ATC, they said no go. Navy the same thing..

What should I do?

Just go for the Army?

Also- the recruiter said if I get just one person to enlist I can get a higher rank to join with and if I do PT a few times a week I can probably enlist as an E3..
they might not need anyone in that job right now. There are a lot of good jobs, talk to the recruiter see what you qualify for think about the jobs and i know for the af you put 5 jobs down on a list. Tell your recruiter i want one of these jobs and will wait for it to come avail. They might try to rush you into something but stick to your guns and wait. Every month they get a list of job openings and try to fill those
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Specialized

What should I do?

Just go for the Army?

With a 6 year contract with us, you will come in at E-3. Like the above post stated, there might not be any positions available. At your 3 year mark - you can move into another job. If the job you want is not available - go to your number 2 job.........just make sure you look at the branch as a whole - and what they have to offer you.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

At year 3 would I be able to choose to stay in that position and move up rank-wise?

I don't know yet if I want to make Military my career but I do think it will help me get to where I need/want to be and then at that point I can decide if I want to stay in or not.

I don't have the feeling or attitude that I wont like it, and I almost refuse to let myself think Im going to fail at something. When I shoot for something, I hardly ever lose track of what Im shooting for. I may skirt around an obstacle and be out of line for a period of time, but I will keep aiming the direction I want to be.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

moving up rank wise until you hit e-4 is just time in service basically. After that you have to test to move up in rank. Well thats how it is in the air force. I'm still unsure if i'm making it a career or not. Im between staying active duty or if i find a good job back home going reserves
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you join the Army as an ATC good luck. Other then not doing your job while deployed (the AF controls all the air space IIRC) you should have a good job.

The Army is pretty upfront about a bunch of things. Personally I would go to military.com and read the article that deals with the things your recruiter might not tell you. Tons of info.

Also the Army has the LONGEST deployment time out of any branch. Im on my second deployment already and Ive only been in 35 months. Its pretty tiring to spend all your time in Iraq. If you are lucky and land in a unit that is on stabilization then you wont deploy for approx 3 years but you will get some time over here.

Another thing about rank, when I came in you can take a PT and intelligence test to earn a grade so you come in at an E2 regardless of contract length. Then in 6-12 months you will get your E3 and another 6-12 months you will get your E4. (not sure on the waiver times right now)

Dont sign anything longer then a 4 year contract. If you sign for a 6 you might hate it but be stuck for what seems like for ever. Plus if you sign a 4 yr you will have a better chance at getting better bonuses. Its a complicated system but trust me on that one.

Any questions feel free to PM me. Im a medic so I cant help out with the field choice but I can help you wade through the recruiters.

Quick Reply: So Ive been talking to a few recruiters..