Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Coyotah vs ls

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
No pleasing the ford crowd it seems. Even an eng3 builder known for fords isnt good enough.
Good stuff!!

you pointed out the selection of the engine vs the chevy. they picked a tiny coyote. not my choice to begin with. just being known for fords isnt ****. no pleasing whatever. who gives a **** what your opinion is? select the 5.8 and stroke it. use real heads for boost. gt500. im not a fan and have never been a fan of boosting coyotes. i have never considered boosting my coyote, and i did boost my 4.6 32v.

good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris25
So superior Ford built another pushrod motor......sheesh guy
they did. and in response chevrolet has started designing a 8+ liter response. oh but chevy doesnt have a regular 6500 or smaller to put in in yet.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe you haven't heard of the Northstar 4.6l but it handily made the same power as the 2v and 4v mod motors with less razzle dazzle ;-)
And that engine did exactly what it was designed to do. Win offshore boat racing. Where was ford for that?

Dont be mad you cant build cubic inch in a Mod you have to force the air into it to make anything of it.
You're not in this section really ever so I guess you don't know that Hio has a termi swapped fox and runs 11.5s. I wasn't **** talking any GM engine but since you brought it up, the northstar was among the worst, least reliable motors to ever curse the world with its presence. Those things blew.

Where has GM been in competitive racing outside the US? Where are the 24h of Le Mans wins from GM? Not the little league **** the vette runs in, I mean the big boy race.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

No you were crying and bitching....going off topic because your god got fucked in the ***. Still going to ain't ya. Tell ws6store how your 116 trap car got circles run around it by a 114 car if you want to go off topic. Tell him how my furd drags the living **** outta your furd and you cry your dumbass to sleep every night because of that.

Originally Posted by "MAC"
You don't want that to happen the DOHC is a superior design which allows for more flow. If both engines where 5.0L with the same bore and same stroke the coyote would win by a land slide. Just like the WS6store guy already said more rpm = more hp. The only reason why the LS is so great na vs coyote na is for the simple fact you can easily change the cubic inches resulting in more trq when that happens and you still turn the engine the same rpms you will get more hp. Trq and rpms are inversely related. Coyote takes advantage of this and a simple push rod design takes advantage of ci. Is there a superior way sure it's DOHC bc you can do more with less in a sense of ci.
The superior design broke 600lbft of tq short. Splain the superiorness of it please.

Not only can it not make as much power na it looses in boost to.....not as durable.....but so superior

I'm sorry I forgot I don't know what I'm talking about
You sure as **** don't know wtf you're talking about.
I said more rpm = more power on the same engine not across platforms. I made sure to make that distinction.

Gm was working on a 5.0l ls engine in one of their le mans cars a while back. Idk if it was DI or OHC or just pushrod. Been a while. When you can make the same horsepower and more torque from less rpm OR have a much better useable midrange or entire rpm range, then why wouldn't you?

Youve seen the 5.0 dyno graphs just like I have with cammed 5.0s where they lose massive power under 5k.

The dohc vs pushrod is clearly the issue in price. You can see that with this build. LME basically bought a brand new engine in parts and made one. MPR got a used engine (i assume) especially for 1800 then rebuilt it but reused alot of parts and still had to cut the parts short for budget from my interpretation.

IF you build them on the same budget the way a 5.0 guy would like, the ls would still "decimate all". Its straight facts since 2011 basically. The excuses get old and hanging your hat on 1 or 2 fast builds in chassis cars etc doesnt mean much.

You can like what you like, both are great engines but with ALL the parts and pieces that supposedly make the mod motors better 4 cams and phasers etc. they really aren't vs LS or LT. That conclusion is deeply rooted in Dyno graphs and track times.
This guy does
Bc DOHC isn't known to make trq na... Imagine that
Originally Posted by Chris25
He really crushed your whole bro argument...... Moving on
Lol....he did tho
Originally Posted by snake95
You are the last person in the world who is any authority on boost

DOHC 4.6 built bottom end
Ported blower
swapped in a notchback
and you run ******* 11.5s

It still hurts your anus that it will always take more CI for a GM to win, even back when Fords used pushrod motors in Mustangs as well. Don't be mad at the truth
My furd faster than all the furd guys in here on their oe blowers......true ******* story to.

Furds pushrod motors were buckets of ****.
No pleasing the ford crowd it seems. Even an eng3 builder known for fords isnt good enough.
Good stuff!!
They're like serious cry babies dude.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you haven't heard of the Northstar 4.6l but it handily made the same power as the 2v and 4v mod motors with less razzle dazzle ;-)
And that engine did exactly what it was designed to do. Win offshore boat racing. Where was ford for that?

Dont be mad you cant build cubic inch in a Mod you have to force the air into it to make anything of it.
The Northstar was a **** engine blown head gaskets everytime you looked at it
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Banned

Ecoboost is turbod so thats not a comparison. The 3.5 EcoBoost also has a failry large bore size nearly the same as the 5.0 so that also helps tq. Still not even a comparison.

Trying to bring any other engine into this conversation is ridiculous especially adding in a formula one engine.

This is coyote vs ls. Broader would be mod motor vs ls. Thats it. No straight race thoroughbreds.
Ford made a 5.8l. They could have left it NA and made better power vs the 5.0. They haven't yet. Since you're basically stuck around 5.0l for the coyote besides maybe a stroker setup? (Havent checked) then the only way to fix the lack of torque is with compression ratio and cams designed for it.
But that would really be working backwards as to what ford is doing.

The individual phaser has so much potential and the small ports help also. You get to change both icl and lsa and yet cant muster better power, something is way wrong. The engine and engineering is what limits itself. Especially the bore spacing. Not the fact that it is ohc/dohc alone. It lacks cubic inch. Kinda like a 5.3l. The 5.8l in 5.0 trim with higher cr etc would make much more impressive na power. But its not, so moot point.

As far as the pushrod for the trucks, its a very large engine which would make torque either way, but im guessing ford needed it to be economical for fleet use etc and pushrods are much much more economical than och/dohc. And they could use a lower CR on a pushrod and still make great power.
I see what you're saying but the what I'm saying is rpms and trq ate inversely related that's a fact. So regardless of what engine it is the more rpms you turn the less trq you make. So to bring this full circle again the only way to have a fair comparison as to hio wants to stip is both engines need to have the same bore, and same stroke and since the new coyote is limited from factory for stroke kits then both need to be 5.0L with same bore and stroke. Then build from there once that happens the coyote will destroy the LS
Old 03-31-2019, 12:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
you pointed out the selection of the engine vs the chevy. they picked a tiny coyote. not my choice to begin with. just being known for fords isnt ****. no pleasing whatever. who gives a **** what your opinion is? select the 5.8 and stroke it. use real heads for boost. gt500. im not a fan and have never been a fan of boosting coyotes. i have never considered boosting my coyote, and i did boost my 4.6 32v.

good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No need to get big mad. I mean they are only professionals so what do they know right?
Youre working with an unlimited budget there then boss? Maybe that much boost on a stroked 5.8l wouldn't work? I mean they had to sleeve the 5.0 to handle it they didnt do it for fun.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No you were crying and bitching....going off topic because your god got fucked in the ***. Still going to ain't ya. Tell ws6store how your 116 trap car got circles run around it by a 114 car if you want to go off topic. Tell him how my furd drags the living **** outta your furd and you cry your dumbass to sleep every night because of that.

The superior design broke 600lbft of tq short. Splain the superiorness of it please.

Not only can it not make as much power na it looses in boost to.....not as durable.....but so superior

You sure as **** don't know wtf you're talking about.

This guy does

Lol....he did tho

My furd faster than all the furd guys in here on their oe blowers......true ******* story to.

Furds pushrod motors were buckets of ****.

They're like serious cry babies dude.
You mean the fact that they bought 4 new cams and that's a round 1300 total just for the came themselves vs a 400 cam for the LS.... Yea kinda hard to upgrade the components when **** cost more to do it correctly. And the LS engine was done correctly more so than the coyote which I hope even you can agree on that. But we can also talk about how coyotes have made 700+ stock long block vs LS stock long block... Oh wait the coyote wins that too wow
Old 03-31-2019, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by snake95
You're not in this section really ever so I guess you don't know that Hio has a termi swapped fox and runs 11.5s. I wasn't **** talking any GM engine but since you brought it up, the northstar was among the worst, least reliable motors to ever curse the world with its presence. Those things blew.

Where has GM been in competitive racing outside the US? Where are the 24h of Le Mans wins from GM? Not the little league **** the vette runs in, I mean the big boy race.
I checked google hits for "how many horsepowders does the 4.6l northstar make" and wiki northstar right after i posted that. I can tell you it got pinged quite a bit ;-)

Also maybe offshore boat racing is a LIIITLE more extreme than whatever road race youre thinking of. MAYBE :-) And youre trying to compare a stock engine in your grandmas el dorado vs a race engine? Thats even richer than the Cadillac tax!!

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 03-31-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I see what you're saying but the what I'm saying is rpms and trq ate inversely related that's a fact. So regardless of what engine it is the more rpms you turn the less trq you make. So to bring this full circle again the only way to have a fair comparison as to hio wants to stip is both engines need to have the same bore, and same stroke and since the new coyote is limited from factory for stroke kits then both need to be 5.0L with same bore and stroke. Then build from there once that happens the coyote will destroy the LS
You need to study dynos more. Like the graphs. Engine dynos. Why do you think that heavy hitters spend days and thousands on one engine just in a dyno cell? The longer you can carry the torque the faster you can go. It will go down, but doesnt have to so quickly.
As far as your other part...adding stroke to an engine REALLY only increases torque. Maybe some hp but since torque is force x a distance you are changing the distance and adding torque there BUT it also increases piston speed and trying to wrap a stroker to 8k would take MUCH more money than this budget had in the first place.

Everyone bringing in their unicorn builds when the facts are hard to swallow. Too many IFs.
Ford limited the engines and the aftermarket is like "meh just boost it and make sure to tell the ls guys they are using 1960s tech HAHAAAA"

This thread is all in good fun, but im not being whimsical in the actual facts.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Now maching an ls1 to a 5.0 would be about right. Or maybe a 4.8 crank with an ls1 bore. Thats VERY close. Thats a 311 or so. That would be very close on bore and stroke.

Then what? Make the heads flow the same?

Then same cr or?

Then what about cam(s) and intake?

I mean im building a 312 so it could be in the ballpark there. That would be interesting.
3.898 x 3.268. Thats as close as you'll get without blowing a crap ton on custom pistons etc.
Lets talk about this seriously. Since im building one thats close its pretty easy and feasible to make a REAL budget build out of it. If everyone can agree on it. If i were to guess it would likely be a stock 5.0 vs the 312...i mean if you want to have everything near exactly equal then basically that would be it. Cyl head flow etc etc.

Ford guys, im going to make a thread and keep is civil and not theoretical internet unicorn builds ls guys too. Maybe we can have a decent conversation and some real theory instead of id build this with a bazillion dollars.

Ill post the thread Tomorrow (today) and link it here. See what happens.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

LS1/6 is comparable to Coyote not LS3.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

This is how it seems to me...

The Coyote was designed to have 4 valves heads, 4 cams and like what a 17 foot long time chain. That's a lot of moving parts adding complexity and cost. To make the wide 4 valve heads of the DOHC COYOTE fit in a vehicle the engine ended up with limited potential for displacement increase. The problem with DOHC Is the power produced vs the physical size of the engine. It's a power density Issue. The real question isn't hp per liter or any of that. It's hp for the volume of space the engine takes up and the weight of the engine.

GM got the POWER density (shoehorn max power in small package for a low cost with reliability) design correct and Ford got yet another epic fail in basic engineering design. First Ford V8's spit sparkplug out then the Ford's break the plugs in the head. - All very bad design and typical of Ford's lack of engineering ability for the last decade and a half

That's the difference in engineering excellence between the two companies and why LS destroyed Coyote again on the same $15,000

An equal and fair test factors in inferior the Ford power density design.

Coyote budget $16,500
LS budget $15,000

$900 more to the Coyote for 4 cams
$500 more for doing head work due to the extra 16 valves.

Either engine can make fantastic hp for a street car.

Of course if money and budget isn't an issue the Coyote is definitely a very capable engine.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
This is how it seems to me...

The Coyote was designed to have 4 valves heads, 4 cams and like what a 17 foot long time chain. That's a lot of moving parts adding complexity and cost. To make the wide 4 valve heads of the DOHC COYOTE fit in a vehicle the engine ended up with limited potential for displacement increase. The problem with DOHC Is the power produced vs the physical size of the engine. It's a power density Issue. The real question isn't hp per liter or any of that. It's hp for the volume of space the engine takes up and the weight of the engine.

GM got the POWER density (shoehorn max power in small package for a low cost with reliability) design correct and Ford got yet another epic fail in basic engineering design. First Ford V8's spit sparkplug out then the Ford's break the plugs in the head. - All very bad design and typical of Ford's lack of engineering ability for the last decade and a half

That's the difference in engineering excellence between the two companies and why LS destroyed Coyote again on the same $15,000

An equal and fair test factors in inferior the Ford power density design.

Coyote budget $16,500
LS budget $15,000

$900 more to the Coyote for 4 cams
$500 more for doing head work due to the extra 16 valves.

Either engine can make fantastic hp for a street car.

Of course if money and budget isn't an issue the Coyote is definitely a very capable engine.
So much truth...... And why does everyone keep neglecting the fact that the bro crew chose the blower they used that's on them the knew the budget. Just goes to show any shop can build a proper LS it takes a one in a million shop to build a proper coyote.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Yeah I hear it can take a professional up to four hours to dial in the cams on the Coyote. No thank you I'll just stick with my LS pushrod engines.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
No and once again you don't understand how FI works. LOL

PS. All about dat PSI ...no CFM...yo!
I was going to reply with something along these lines, but he will never get it. Sad really, its a very simple concept.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

The Northstar was a **** engine blown head gaskets everytime you looked at it
Ask assin....he's had a few. My aunts has had a few also. No issues.

More falsehoods by you. Some ls engines don't make peak tq till after 6k rpm.

I don't give 2 ***** about the coyotah displacement deficiency. That's in the way the engines are designed.....it is what it is.

Your idea is only restricting the ls design. But to be 100% honest here a coyotah can't make the power a 4.8 does. The coyotah block simply cannot handle it.

No need to get big mad. I mean they are only professionals so what do they know right?
Youre working with an unlimited budget there then boss? Maybe that much boost on a stroked 5.8l wouldn't work? I mean they had to sleeve the 5.0 to handle it they didnt do it for fun.
From stuff I've read the 5.8 isn't as strong as a 5.4. And neither wants much over 7k rpm on the stock cranks.
You mean the fact that they bought 4 new cams and that's a round 1300 total just for the came themselves vs a 400 cam for the LS.... Yea kinda hard to upgrade the components when **** cost more to do it correctly. And the LS engine was done correctly more so than the coyote which I hope even you can agree on that. But we can also talk about how coyotes have made 700+ stock long block vs LS stock long block... Oh wait the coyote wins that too wow

YYYAAAWWWNNNNN......sounds like your a professional excuse maker for the coyotah.

How many coyotahs do you own mac?

How many ls do you own?

You need to study dynos more. Like the graphs. Engine dynos. Why do you think that heavy hitters spend days and thousands on one engine just in a dyno cell? The longer you can carry the torque the faster you can go. It will go down, but doesnt have to so quickly.
As far as your other part...adding stroke to an engine REALLY only increases torque. Maybe some hp but since torque is force x a distance you are changing the distance and adding torque there BUT it also increases piston speed and trying to wrap a stroker to 8k would take MUCH more money than this budget had in the first place.

Everyone bringing in their unicorn builds when the facts are hard to swallow. Too many IFs.
Ford limited the engines and the aftermarket is like "meh just boost it and make sure to tell the ls guys they are using 1960s tech HAHAAAA"

It's more excuses than if's.

The coyotah crowd thought they had some magical advantage with boost......but they didn't.
Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
I was going to reply with something along these lines, but he will never get it. Sad really, its a very simple concept.
I understand it perfectly. Im not the one trying to skew the results by running the engines at different atmospheres. He is.....and you're stupid enough to buy into it.

Btw i did a little rough math on the tq per/L because hp/L simply makes no ******* sense since hp is just a calculation. The ls came in at about 200tq/L.....the coyote 160tq/L
Old 03-31-2019, 10:04 AM
Banned

Why do I need to study dynos more when I already know how to read them? What you just said is something I already fully understand. Hell I already eluded to it earlier. But that still doesn't change the fact that what I've been saying is correct. Yes there is ways to make it better just like everything else in life but you can only do so much and at the end of the day you can either have more trq or more rpms. Sw and I have had this same debate a lot and we mainly talk about big block vs small block doing it
Old 03-31-2019, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

You can have more tq and more rpms. It's all about dat tq.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Whats up tech@ws6. Welcome to the **** storm. Lol.

Get good laughs at hihos comments. "well but but my furd is faster than everyone with an OE blower" Lol. Yea well just remember no one in here has a termi swapped fox either. What a *** post from you. Lol.

You so dumb hiho. Guess what more tq & more rpm equals? More horsepower idiot. So as you only believe in tq. Rpm must mean nothing to you as you don't believe in horsepower. If you speak of rpm, with tq, you are speaking of horsepower tard. Duh duh

So if your tq is not calculated. Is it NM or LB/FT? Cause one shows different numbers than the other. Since you must know which one is real & which calculated. Or just tighten the bolt to just before it snaps is your real measurement. Lol.