New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! All I want to do is drive my Trans Am.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! All I want to do is drive my Trans Am.

here is the problem. CAr(1994 Pontiac Trans AM M6 90,xxx miles) wont start and I am thinking it is cause the battery cable wont screw in enough and maybe something else too. PLEASE take 3 minutes out of your day and help a brother out.

So after a while of just sitting I am finally able to get the Trans Am back on the road. I changed the oil and oil filter and bought a brand new battery. My friend who was helping me noticed that he could not screw the positive battery cable all the way into the positive side of the battery. My friend was testing out the car and he stalled the manual (he is used to driving auto) and we jerked to a stop and the car would not start. I am guessing the jerking of the car caused the battery cable to come loose so figuring that was the problem we got out and kinda pushed and turned the cable in by hand and the car started right up. The next day the car did the same thing, but for no reason. We parked the car(no stalling) and when we went to leave it wouldnt start. THis time the battery cable gave me hell and we were sitting there for 15 minutes until by some miracle it started. BTW an LS1 Ws6 Trans am parked right next to me...looked at me with my hood up and didn't even offer to help...

Now I go to drive it and it wont even start. If I hold in the battery cable I can see that the dome light is on and the headlight motors click on, but the second I let go it all turns off. I had my Mom try to start it while I held it(the cable) in and even that didn't work!! I can press on the clutch, but the moment the ignition is turned everything clicks off. What is up? The dumb bolt doesn't want to screw in, but I think there has to be more up than just that since I am getting power from the battery if the lights are on.
Thanks for the assistance. Give me your answers plzz.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Will the battery terminal thread in and at all or is the bolt bottoming out? If its just bottoming out put a washer in between the terminal and the battery. Once the terminal is tight and wont wiggle back and forward if the car still dosen't start check the big + wire on the starter to see if loose or brakeing.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Idk exactly what you mean by "bottoming out," but it seems like I am endlessly trying to thread it in but it stays very free and loose. Where is the big + wire on the starter? I just learned how to change the oil so anything under the hood is still very new to me. Thanks Conan.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Can you try a different battery and a new bolt? I know it's a new battery but taking new stuff back is getting pretty common...
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok take the and remove the terminal from the battery and look to see if the threads of the bolt are messed up, if not check the threads in the battery. One of them is striped. The + wire on the starter is the same big red wire coming from the battery.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may try to get another one, but since it is giving me power I dont see how that could be the sole problem...still I may give it a shot. thanks for the good idea and you are right in that even new doesnt always mean it will work.

Ahh! I see what you mean, Conan. The thread on the red wire is a little messed up, but nothing bad. If I touch or move the wires around or the main red wire to the battery the car dies and if I move it a different way the dome light comes back on??? what should I do? Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got it started! Divine intervention is the only way that happened...I may not be a car genius, but this would be problematic for everyone...almost. Thank you to all those who helped...I fear it may come lose again, but I think I got a technique that tightens it up pretty well.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

so hows it feel to drive?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

if the cable is not tight the lights will work but it takes a lot of amp to pull the starter, thats the only reason it's happening to you ,bolt/battery one is f--ked up don't tempoary fix it or you'll sure as hell be stuck again, park on a incline !!!!!!!!