Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a LQ4, now what next???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got a LQ4, now what next???

Hi, im new here. Just purchased a 6.0 liter from salvage yard. Its a 02 year came out of a truck, i got harness, and ECM. So what book do i need to get to learn how to install it in my 81TTA? At first i wanted to add turbo's, but i read here that it has 10:1 CR, so a turbo wont do much good unless i can lower the CR to 9:1. So for now i just need to know the cheapest way to get the enigne installed, and the car up, and running for now. Would like info on how to check, and replace bearings if needed. It has 317 styled heads, the block number on rear pass side of block is(12551364) the EMC markings are (JI Blue)- Red41, and serv no#12200411) HDW No#(09386530 DLAC) Engine is complete except for ALT, and no belt, has two tensioners on pass side. Any help to get it rolling for cheap as possible, so i can show the wife i didnt just **** hard earned cash away. I said for $700 i had to get it!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have pissed hard earned money away, I do it more than I want to.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
13 Second Truck Club

first off you didnt waste your money that motor is a very good canidate for turbo the compression ratio is around 9.4:1. some of the first things you need an oil pan lq4 pan will hang down too low possibly fbody pan, you need a wiring harness either get the factory haness cut or buy an aftermarket one, get the vehicle antitheft system turned off the computer, fuel pump something like a walbro 255lph for starters, the truck intake might fit under the hood it barely cleared on my chevelle, and the altenator is a tight fit
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
first off you didnt waste your money that motor is a very good canidate for turbo the compression ratio is around 9.4:1. some of the first things you need an oil pan lq4 pan will hang down too low possibly fbody pan, you need a wiring harness either get the factory haness cut or buy an aftermarket one, get the vehicle antitheft system turned off the computer, fuel pump something like a walbro 255lph for starters, the truck intake might fit under the hood it barely cleared on my chevelle, and the altenator is a tight fit
Oil pan, i will check i wanted to keep the oil cooler lines. Glad to hear CR is 9.4:1. Who resets the computer? I have no idea where to start. What external senors do i need to get (MAF ect... What on the truck intake manifold i need to delete?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

If I were you I'd do a in-depth search in the hybrid section!
I'd also drop the dime for a factory repair manual-at least the engine electric portion.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian g
If I were you I'd do a in-depth search in the hybrid section!
I'd also drop the dime for a factory repair manual-at least the engine electric portion.
I just got to book on the car, got a lot of reading to do. I still dont know where do i take the ECM to be reflashed, i live near Augusta, GA. Can u go to any chevy dealership, and just take to ECM? What the cost for that?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

i just bought a pcm from ebay for 90 bucks and they flash it to your vin number just find someone with hp tuners
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1N20
i just bought a pcm from ebay for 90 bucks and they flash it to your vin number just find someone with hp tuners
What i need the Vin# from the truck the engine came from? Anyone near Augusta, Ga got a Hyper tuner?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Have you at all considered bolting on a single-plane intake and going with a carb'?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Ok well the CHEAPEST way to get the engine installed and the car up and running is to leave it as it is and install it.

You shouldn't have to have the pcm tuned unless you have an aftermarket cam, maf sensor, and/or heads. If all those parts are stock, I don't see why you'd need to retune the pcm.

As far as turbos go, I don't know what your budget is, but turbo installs to me aren't in the cheap category. If I did a turbo build I'd budget at LEAST a few thousand dollars to do it right.

You might be able to find a decent deal on a turbo, and if you have good fabrication skills, you can maybe create your own tubing for the system. But then you're probably looking at new pistons and rings if you currently have 10:1 compression, and possibly machinework of the cylinders. If you stick to low boost, your stock crank should be ok but I would upgrade the connecting rods, and ARP everything.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Here's a good thread on a LT1 install into a '79 that'll give some ideas on what's involved. Good luck and keep everyone posted on your progress.

Quick Reply: Got a LQ4, now what next???