Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger or heads/cam/intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger or heads/cam/intake swap

hey, i have a 2000 trans am with an ls1 six speed, ive put the slp loudmouth exhaust on it plus slp y-pipe, also have slp air intake. Looking to get around 425 horsepower out of it, should i slap a procharger on maybe with some headers or go with a heads/cam/intake swap possibly headers also, need a little advise and info before i make my decision, thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

h/c/i will get you 425rw easy on a dynojet.

if i was going FI id have my bottom end built for alot of boost.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hci should do 440-470 hp same with procharger if not more ....better driveability with procharger and not many have it compared to cam ...
Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be roughly the same amount of money.

Don't do headers if you do a procharger.

You can't just "slap" a procharger kit on.

There is a kit in the for sale section right now.. It is a P1sc kit and is complete. That is goo for 550-600Rwhp. The seller bought my old white Trans Am, real good guy to do business with.
If it were me, I would buy that kit... Buy injectors/fuel pump... Any additions you want to do to the kit (different intercooler etc etc... But for sub 500Rwhp, it would be fine the way it comes... And install/tune it. 8# of boost would be on the safe side and easily net you north of 425Rwhp/rwtq with bone stock like driving manners until you hit boost.

Stock/simple bolt on cars with around 8#s are a BLAST to drive. 4K hits and its like you woke up a monster!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Will be roughly the same amount of money.

Don't do headers if you do a procharger.

You can't just "slap" a procharger kit on.

There is a kit in the for sale section right now.. It is a P1sc kit and is complete. That is goo for 550-600Rwhp. The seller bought my old white Trans Am, real good guy to do business with.
If it were me, I would buy that kit... Buy injectors/fuel pump... Any additions you want to do to the kit (different intercooler etc etc... But for sub 500Rwhp, it would be fine the way it comes... And install/tune it. 8# of boost would be on the safe side and easily net you north of 425Rwhp/rwtq with bone stock like driving manners until you hit boost.

Stock/simple bolt on cars with around 8#s are a BLAST to drive. 4K hits and its like you woke up a monster!
Why do you say that? A decent pair of longtubes are beneficial on almost any setup out there from what I've seen. If he just throws on a Procharger without opening up the exhaust to it's maximum potential, he's leaving some power behind.

To the OP, I say go with the Procharger. While a H/C setup that's done properly can be very streetable as well, FI is the ultimate combination of near stock like street manners/brutal power that you can get. The Prochargers are so docile when not in boost it's just incredible, but once you're into it, it's so explosive which is just plain awesome.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Why do you say that? A decent pair of longtubes are beneficial on almost any setup out there from what I've seen. If he just throws on a Procharger without opening up the exhaust to it's maximum potential, he's leaving some power behind.

To the OP, I say go with the Procharger. While a H/C setup that's done properly can be very streetable as well, FI is the ultimate combination of near stock like street manners/brutal power that you can get. The Prochargers are so docile when not in boost it's just incredible, but once you're into it, it's so explosive which is just plain awesome.
He can *very easily make north of 425Rwhp without having headers, so why spend the extra 700+$.
With headers, you have to run a smaller pulley to = same boost levels. Ultimately you will make more power however, possibly without even swapping to a smaller pulley again.
8#s and full exhaust will add around 140Rwhp... He wants 425rwhp. Just a blower at 8# will hit his mark.
Full exhaust/ls6 intake/8#s and it should net you 475-500Rwhp. Now, he is way over his mark.

If that is what he wants... So be it. But he stated he only wanted 425Rwhp. Bolt ons aren't needed for that and he can hit that with a basic kit. If he decided he wants 475+Rwhp... Add an intake (if pre 01) and headers, of course with a smaller pulley and a retune.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will want headers no matter what you do
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
You will want headers no matter what you do
I'm opposite.. if I could make the power I want without headers I would be all over it. Sleeper effect f tw.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Teching In

If I had the money to spend I would def. get the procharger set up first. When I had my mustang I had the intercooled 10# P1SC kit put on with full exhaust, supporting fuel system upgrades, gears, etc. Everything they have said about the driveability is true; around town just like it was stock, but step on it and and all hell breaks loose. The kit I bought advertised the 10#'s of boost with stock exhaust, intake, heads etc. Since I had full exhaust (no cats either), my tuner noticed that the most boost I was making was around 8#'s due to the free flowing exhaust. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep in mind, no matter which one you do, you may very well have to put more into the drivetrain. A stock clutch wont last very long behind a procharged motor, nor will a stock 10-bolt that is being launched. just be wary....
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a sleeper don't do headers but the car needs to breathe
Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh... another "should I slap a supercharger on my car thread?"

R.I.P. 346
Old 05-29-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
He can *very easily make north of 425Rwhp without having headers, so why spend the extra 700+$.
With headers, you have to run a smaller pulley to = same boost levels. Ultimately you will make more power however, possibly without even swapping to a smaller pulley again.
8#s and full exhaust will add around 140Rwhp... He wants 425rwhp. Just a blower at 8# will hit his mark.
Full exhaust/ls6 intake/8#s and it should net you 475-500Rwhp. Now, he is way over his mark.

If that is what he wants... So be it. But he stated he only wanted 425Rwhp. Bolt ons aren't needed for that and he can hit that with a basic kit. If he decided he wants 475+Rwhp... Add an intake (if pre 01) and headers, of course with a smaller pulley and a retune.
Yeah, I can agree with this and I see what you're saying.

But still, like I said, headers are almost always going to be beneficial to have on basically any application!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CorbinLR
oh... another "should I slap a supercharger on my car thread?"

R.I.P. 346

Quick Reply: Procharger or heads/cam/intake swap